• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs Midfield 2014/15

----------Sandro(Dembele)--Capoue(Bentaleb)
------------------------Paulinho(Chadli)
---Lamela(Townsend)---------------Eriksen(Holtby)

Sell Sig and Lennon, maybe loan out Carroll.

Hate to be that guy, but oh what could have been:

Eriksen - Lamela - Bale
Modric - Sandro​

As for next year, what I would want:

Eriksen ------------ Lamela
Bentaleb - Holtby
Sandro​

Let it go :) Interesting selection for this season. I like it. Whether Holtby and Bentaleb mature to be able to start in the PL or whether they will need to prove themselves as subs and in the cups, we will see. They are both quick passing creative players so there is a logic there.

We should count up which players people select as first choice and see who comes out as starters according to gg.

Eriksen is obviously first name on the team sheet with most keeping him on the left.

I don't think anyone has left out Lamela. He hardly played last season, and has little experience playing in the PL. But the new Argentinian connection and photos have us convinced?

The central midfield players are the most fluid with little consensus from us about who's the dogs and who's for the scrap heap.

Was Brazil's best player tonight along with Ramirez
should have scored though.......he does miss a lot of chances, and goal scoring from midfield was supposed to be his strength to compensate for his other deficiencies

The 4-2-3-1 seems in vogue at present, and Pochettino is known to favour that formation. The problem is, we'd need a deep-lying playmaker (theoretically) to make it work, and there's a sever shortage of those around at the moment. However, I'd wager we can get by without one if we buy one good player (specifically, Morgan Schneiderlin) and set up like this:

1) Standard set-up: In the 'standard' starting line up, the midfield would ideally look like this:

--------------Bentaleb------------------Schneiderlin---------------

Lamela----------------------Holtby---------------------------Eriksen

Pretty standard 4-2-3-1, with what some would say is a weakness in terms of quickly shuttling the ball from back to front when in possession. However,

2) Transition phase:

------------------Bentaleb--------------Schneiderlin--------------------

Walker--------------------------Holtby----------------------------------Davies

-----------Lamela--------------CF Position 2------------Eriksen-----
OR
---------------------------------CF Position 1----------------------

....this is where Holtby comes in. We know he's a bundle of energy and possesses an ability to spray passes around, with the downside being that he's too positionally inconsistent and drifts towards the action too much. Well, in a system such as this one, the screening midfielders (Bentaleb and Schneiderlin) will be supported by the nominal no.10 Holtby, who in the transition phase will drop deep to pick up the ball from either of the two DMs while the full backs bomb forward down the touchline and Eriksen and Lamela make runs off the shoulder of the last defender, with our nominal centre forward also either making a run or dropping deep. This will allow Holtby to pick up the ball, turn and then play the long pass of his choosing to either a) the wide full backs, b) the wing players who are cutting into the center as play progresses, c) the centre forward's run down the middle, or d) the centre forward himself, who's at this point dropped into a deep position to offer Holtby a quick forward release.

3) Possession phase:

______________New CB___(halfway line)___Verts_________

Bentaleb-->------->--------><---------<-------<------Schneiderlin

----------------------------Holtby position 1------------------

OR
--------------Holtby position 2--------------------------------
I
\/
Walker----Lamela----------------------Eriksen--------------Davies
___I___________________(penalty box)_ __________________ I
--I----------------------New CF------------------------------I
\/----------------------------------------------------------\/

___________________(goalline)____________________________

In this third phase, Holtby will again prove crucial: either by directing play from deep, with Eriksen and Lamela forming passing triangles with either the CF or with a wing-back (both of whom bomb down the outside providing width), or with Holtby rushing forward to be the playmaker in the middle, allowing one of Lamela or Eriksen to make a run into the defense while the other buzzes around providing Holtby and the strong, supporting CF with a pass-and-go option. Either way, our needs seem settled: we'll have a strong defense, given that's being screened by two immensely athletic, technically excellent players, and a quick offense, if it's pulled off. It is also a system that, as much as possible, plays to Holtby's strengths, and thus one I think we'll see at some point.

The first choice back four seem to be taking shape, with Walker and Fazio maybe staking their claim longer term. The front 4 also pick themselves. Ade is not in a good vein of form, but its still his place at the moment. Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli all doing well.

From Capoue, Bentaleb, Mason, Dembele, Stambouli who will bed down in Pochettino's first 11 midfield ? They can all stake a claim.

Capoue looks the only player who's first choice currently. Against arrse he was immense and he has a fast accurate pass. If Capoue can play like he did this weekend, the sale of Sandro makes sense. Some of his previous performances were a bit tame for me, he sometimes doesn't make the tackle. But it takes a run of games to find your feet, and if he plays as he showed he can yesterday, who needs Schneiderlin?

Dembele looked to be gaining some momentum in Poch's team. But he's not going to change his game over night. We saw Dembele dribble with the ball to better effect though, and take his game to the opposition, which was encouraging (forget the game now where he hit the post). He's defensively very strong, but his passing and moments where he dwells need to be replaced with more accuracy and urgency.

Mason - real promise. Could show the more established CM suitors a thing or two about passion and commitment. He has lots of skill as well. But it is early days and we can't expect a world beater straight out the hat. He will need time. But his technical ability is promising.

Bentaleb - last years darling? He's still got it. He's still hungry. But he probably needs a PL loan for a year. Passing - tick. An eye for goal - yes. Needs to work on his defensive game and positioning.

Stambouli - passion, tenacity, good attitude. We didn't need Sandro with him and Capoue. What can this guy do? Who knows. He has combative attributes and would make our midfield and defence resistant. But can he produce while moving forward, supporting attacks and scoring? If Capoue is the more defensive screening player, maybe Stambouli is his cover.

The player who shows the most ability to get forward, support attacks and score will most likely win the place along side Capoue. Ironically that would be Paulinho. But unlike all the other candidates he doesn't have positional awareness and the defensive strength to his game. So Mason and Dembele are logical front runners to partner Capoue. Bentaleb and Stambouli will make an awesome cup midfield. I would like to see them build a partnership and develop.

Last edited:
Something I've noticed in the last few games before we faced the gooners was that the positioning of our deep two during possession was altered. During pre season we quite often saw Mason and Eriksen dropping deep into positions ahead and just outside of our CB's with Capoue dropping somewhere between. Bentaleb has been doing that and so did Eriksen vs QPR, but against Sunderland and West Brom I don't think I saw Dembele dropping there. On the rare occassions when we had possession yesterday Mason did take up that position again.

Team Focus: Midfield Signings of 2013 Coming Good Under Pochettino

2014%2f10%2fSpurs-Top-imagev2.jpg

Back in early June, as Mauricio Pochettino was just getting accustomed to his new job at Tottenham Hotspur, one of his first pieces of business was dealing with a player who was rightfully concerned about his first impressions. The Argentine had a heart-to-heart with his compatriot Erik Lamela.

Juventus were interested in the player, who was so sensational at Roma. Given how disappointing his year at Tottenham had been, it would have been difficult to criticise Lamela had he decided on a return to somewhere he clearly enjoyed so much more. It would have made sense, and been understandable.

That clearly wasn’t how he or his manager saw it. Pochettino blocked the move and told Lamela he saw him as a key player, but what was even more encouraging was the younger Argentine's response. He wanted to properly prove himself in England, to stay and fight.

It is a spirit that has run through Tottenham right now, and could yet put a different spin on the summer of 2013. It’s fair to say that the majority of players that the club signed with the Gareth Bale money did not work out. Two of them made less than 10 starts in the league, none of them really ignited in any way.

Christian Eriksen perhaps came closest to justifying his signing, with some sparkling moments and a decent return, but even that form was somewhat patchy. By the end of the season, Tottenham looked precisely like the disparate disorganised bunch of strangers they were.

The signings were generally labelled a waste, and the club seemed like a case study for sides in similar situations, such as Liverpool. Spurs were supposedly a warning of how not to do things.

That may change. Pochettino’s management has already changed some of the signings. Take some of the most obvious stats. For one, there’s the most obvious stat of all: goals. Nacer Chadli is the joint fifth highest scorer in the league, with four goals from six starts out wide.

Then there’s Etienne Capoue, who no longer looks anywhere near as shaky. By contrast, he is the foundation of Spurs’ entire game. The defensive midfielder plays 73 passes per match, which is the fifth highest in the Premier League.

2014%2f10%2fCapoue-focus.jpg

Beyond that, there’s the new impetus of Erik Lamela. He offers at least three dribbles per game, which is the second highest in the Premier League behind Chelsea’s Eden Hazard. That is quite a contrast from last season, where he was only offering one, in a handful of meek displays.

The difference was so conspicuous in Sunday’s 1-0 win over Southampton. Lamela regularly got on the ball from deep and attempted to drive his way through the opposition half. He reflected Spurs’ purpose and direction.

That match also further emphasised Pochettino’s intentions. His new core would appear to be Capoue alongside another defensive midfielder - in that game Ryan Mason - behind Lamela, Eriksen and Chadli.

With that in mind, a comparison with last season’s figures for each reveals a little more about how their general games are coming on.

2014%2f10%2fSpursattackingmf3.jpg

Capoue is clearly much more all-action, as revealed by his greater number of tackles and interceptions, let alone those passes. Lamela has been given licence to run and probe, with 1.9 key passes per game up from 0.7, and Eriksen is that bit more direct as his shots have increased.

Chadli meanwhile seems to have been charged with counter-balancing the other too, introducing greater economy to his play to allow Eriksen and Lamela to surge. Of course, it’s still rather early to judge, but that’s almost the point. Lamela and Eriksen are just 22, Chadli 25 and Capoue 26.

Tottenham seem to have an encouraging nucleus for the future, which makes the perceptions of last season all the more out of place. Impressions could yet change further. Pochettino almost seems convinced of it.

“We arrive in a difficult period for Tottenham. How Tottenham played in the last couple of years is different to our ideas. We now we need time to put different philosophy in practice. You need time on the training ground. Always it’s more difficult to put in practice.” Some of the boys of 2013, however, are already finding it easier than last season.

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/9vqnljyl90q7rjvq0qbiwg/Show/Team-Focus-Midfield-Signings-of-2013-Coming-Good-Under-Pochettino

That was a really good article.

The way we play reminds me of the Bayern Munich treble winning side of last year, sit deep and then BAMN! hit the throttle when we regain possession attempting to hit them on the counter, there is also the pressing high up the pitch which seems to be more timed than just a main feature of the game.

Take the Chadli goal at the Emirates for example. We didn't press them that much during them game, then on the 55th minute we had 6 players in Kaboul, Capoue, Eriksen, lamela, Adebayor and Chadli in Arsenal's half/final third which seems suicidal to many but, as seen here, forces the goons into a mistake and results in a goal.

EnergeticSpottedAsiaticwildass.gif

So far the style isn't exactly what you'd call the Tottenham way but it still has flashes of it in the counter attack. Anyone remember that brilliant VdV counter attacking goal spear headed by Bale at Villa in 2010/11?

Either way the midfield of:

___Capoue_____Mason___

Lamela___Eriksen___Chadli

has balanace and of all the players it's actually Capoue that seems to be the anchor of it all, Mason has come in at the right time but of course still has a long way to go, it's gonna be big games like next week's match at Emirates Marketing Project in which his lack of experiance could be exposed but if he learns from his mistakes and progresses then we have a good player on our hands that could finally be that deep lying play maker we've been searching for.

Could watch that goal over and over again, for obvious reasons (it's against the Scum at the Death Star, Chadli's IMMENSE VDV-invoking mugging off celebration) and for slightly less obvious reasons.

Those being - love every step of this goal!

Great energy and 'moment-picking' from Eriksen to press so effectively and nick it off that ***t Flamini - look at the way he comes charging in from the line having anticipated the error.

Then Lamela is on the same wavelength. Watch it from the start, he is moving forward at pace and with anticipation that the first press will work! He then only has THREE touches when he picks the ball up ball, one to get it under, the other with his right to get it out of his feet, the third being the best! It is a lovely weighted pass, slid straight into the gap between CB and FB, straight into the path of Chadli. He doesn't even look, just knows.

That gap, Chadli had intelligently moved into. Soon as he sees that Eriksen is about to win the press he peels off into the space, preparing himself for the pass. Great one touch to kill it, then slide it past yet another absolute c**t in their goal. And then goes off to mug their fans off with his celebration.

Boom. Textbook 'philosphy' and 'system' goal IMO - each of these three players knew what was going to happen before it happened, executing each of their roles perfectly. Shows both their strengths as players and the ability of Poch's coaching.

If we continue to refine and re-execute this type of strategy we will score plenty more of goals like it, especially in away games and often against big teams!

LOL at the Arsenal LB. Realizes he's to far up the pitch and starts running back, only to slow down just before Lamela picks up the ball. Don't think he would have made it back anyway, but why stop just because someone has put in a tackle?

Actually, after yet another viewing I think he could have slid in and intercepted the pass to Chadli.

If I remember it correctly, we'd been under the cosh in those ten second half minutes . Their stupid goalkeeper Biff Tannen, had just collected from our breakaway corner and that's why we had players still forward . The idiot goalie under the influence of his Gooner arrogance then rolled the ball out to the skillful Flamini or was it Mertershaker, with white shirts nearby .
It were a sweet moment.

The Lamela-Eriksen-Chadli combine seems set. They're developing nice interchanges between them and (far more importantly) an understanding of their roles and playing styles: that is the prerequisite to all three of them pressing as a unit and then springing quick vertical passes between each other once one of them does manage to force a turnover, which ultimately seems like the direction Poch wants to take us in. So we've sorted out that area of the pitch for now.

It's the two behind those three that still to an extent concern me. Capoue's done well so far, but I still feel the defence isn't getting the screening it should be with a double DM-pivot: yes, Capoue's good at closing down the opposition around the center-circle and using his size/long legs to stop breakaways cleanly, but he doesn't seem to have the tactical awareness to track runs down the center, right at our back-pedalling centre-backs. This is especially amplified when we play Mason next to him.

The Lamela-Eriksen-Chadli combine seems set. They're developing nice interchanges between them and (far more importantly) an understanding of their roles and playing styles: that is the prerequisite to all three of them pressing as a unit and then springing quick vertical passes between each other once one of them does manage to force a turnover, which ultimately seems like the direction Poch wants to take us in. So we've sorted out that area of the pitch for now.

It's the two behind those three that still to an extent concern me. Capoue's done well so far, but I still feel the defence isn't getting the screening it should be with a double DM-pivot: yes, Capoue's good at closing down the opposition around the center-circle and using his size/long legs to stop breakaways cleanly, but he doesn't seem to have the tactical awareness to track runs down the center, right at our back-pedalling centre-backs. This is especially amplified when we play Mason next to him.

Capoue has started the season well but I'm hoping he will go from strength to strength and the best is yet to come. Right now he seems to be improving with each game and growing in to the role. We certainly have a need, as you allude to, and so its a big opportunity for him. Better awareness and his reading of the game can be improved, but he looks to me to have the physical tools for a DM and looks like a natural fit there. Its early doors though, and we will see how he pans out.

Capoue has started the season well but I'm hoping he will go from strength to strength and the best is yet to come. Right now he seems to be improving with each game and growing in to the role. We certainly have a need, as you allude to, and so its a big opportunity for him. Better awareness and his reading of the game can be improved, but he looks to me to have the physical tools for a DM and looks like a natural fit there. Its early doors though, and we will see how he pans out.

He has developed from pre-season and as the PL games have gone on. It has to be down to Pochettino. Occasionally he looked clumsy in the tackle or didn't make a tackle. But he's getting better and better. His passing has always been there. The awareness, positioning and tackling have stepped up.

First and foremost I feel the side need to gel now. Play at least 5 games together. Get used to each others movement, and start to show what each of them can do.

The full backs haven't been contributing to attacks so much in the past two games as we've tried to keep it tight at the back. And maybe the midfield needs them to provide width and an out ball. But when we are countering and not playing the ball around, there isn't much opportunity for them to break in time. Seeing how well Rose, Naughton support the midfield as the team settles will be interesting.

Back