• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs fans charged

Are these 3 definitely (sorry Roland, deafenatalie) Spurs fans?

Can't pass comment on the rights and wrongs without knowing a bit more, to be picked out from the crowd there must be more to it, and of course even if they are all Spurs fans, it doesn't necessarily mean they haven't used the word in a hateful, antisemitic way.

Are these 3 definitely (sorry Roland, deafenatalie) Spurs fans?

Can't pass comment on the rights and wrongs without knowing a bit more, to be picked out from the crowd there must be more to it, and of course even if they are all Spurs fans, it doesn't necessarily mean they haven't used the word in a hateful, antisemitic way.

Well, it was at TWO. spurs matches.
Though we all know how those happy hammers like to come to our Europa games too...

The Club has been in regular contact with the Metropolitan Police and our lawyers since the arrest of fans for use of the Y-word and, as reported yesterday (21 January 2014), three supporters have been charged and will appear in court next month.

The Club conducted sentiment research on the use of the Y word amongst our supporters during October last year. We received 11,500 responses and should like to thank fans for the many well-considered and sincere expression of views. We have spent time ensuring that each and every response submitted was read by the team of personnel dealing with this issue at the Club.

The Club took the decision, with legal advice, not to issue the findings of the research whilst the cases against our fans were progressing so as not to prejudice the proceedings in any way, and in light of yesterday's developments, this remains the position.

We shall continue to monitor these cases as they proceed.

At this point in time, whilst we believe that our fans do not use the word with any deliberate intent to offend, we would once again remind our fans that the Metropolitan Police has stated that the use of the word can be considered a criminal offence on the basis that it can cause offence and we would ask that supporters are mindful of their use of the word.

We shall provide more guidance ahead of the Emirates Marketing Project game following a meeting with the Police in advance of the match. Please check club channels for updates.

Please be assured we shall also be discussing with the Police, once again, the importance of adopting a zero tolerance position on anti-Semitic abuse.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/y-word-update-220114/

I'm offended by other people getting offended. When will that become a crime?

Just read this which summarises our point of view pretty well:
Tottenham fans have always used the Y word as a form of identity and indeed defiance. It’s a term of pride. It’s when you take something hateful and turn it into something positive. You know, like the Christian cross. An instrument of torture that is now a universal symbol of Hope and Forgiveness for millions.

As an older fan from the Welsh Valleys I have little reason to love the Tory Government but at least David Cameron talked some sense when he tried to put the whole thing into context. CONTEXT – it’s all about CONTEXT and MOTIVATION.

When I stand in a crowd of Tottenham supporters shouting the term ‘Y****’ I am not trying to offend anyone. I am showing my willingness to be identified as one with them despite the abuse that might be directed at me.

We can officially say the word Yid. The court case has been dis continued and have not been found guilty of anything.

Hopefully this madness will stop now.

We can officially say the word Yid. The court case has been dis continued and have not been found guilty of anything.

Hopefully this madness will stop now.

A rare victory for common sense.

In itself, 'Yid' is not an offensive term.

It's all just a matter of the context in which it's used.

Great news although I would like to see to the reasons for not guilty decision. If it is not an absolute clearance to use the yid word, I have a feeling that this issue will still be pressed and supporters arrested for the 'inconvenience factor'.

Will the media be giving the case being dropped the same prominence they gave when the charges were brought?

Back