• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Whilst most of our attacking players have gone off the boil recently, Son has looked lively over the last few weeks, a must start for the game against City on the weekend.

Son has now scored 25 goals in 2017 (22 for Club & 3 for Country)

Impressive.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/sports/2017/12/661_241048.html

Son's military duty stirs debate

By Kang Hyun-kyung

There is no question Tottenham Hotspur's forward Son Heung-min is in his prime years.
Spurred by his four-game goal-scoring streak last week, Son has already bagged eight goals this season - five in the Premier League and three in the UEFA Champions League.

His epic performance in the European League has enthralled Korean football fans. Amid the excitement, some fans began to worry about Son's military duty. Like other Korean men, the football player is required to finish a two-year mandatory military service. His fans worry his duty could cut his Premier League career short because of the two-year gap.

On the internet, a debate about Son's military duty is in full swing.

Some "concerned" fans put forth the so-called Son Heung-min Law calling for exempting Son from mandatory military service in return for special taxes or allowing him to delay his military service after his retirement from the Premier League.

"Isn't it the time for us to discuss seriously how we can help great athletes like Son continue his successful athletic career without the disturbance of the military duty?" wrote internet user Zeus in a comment on the news article about Son's four-game goal-scoring streak. "I mean every Korean man must complete their military service because it's mandatory. But we can be flexible about this requirement. For example, we can consider allowing players like Son to donate a certain amount of money to the defense ministry to get exemption from military duty."

The internet user said such a donation-for-military service program can be helpful for the nation as the financial resources can be used to upgrade Korea's defense capabilities.

"It's a win-win for all concerned parties, because the defense ministry will also benefit from it and so will Son because he doesn't need to spend two years in the military," he wrote.

The rationale behind some fans' calls for the exemption of military service for outstanding athletes is that their tenure is very short, compared to normal workers, and they retire at a young age. So they have a relatively short time period to raise the money to finance a decent lifestyle for their post-retirement lives.

Another internet user Cacao Nibs suggested another option the military authorities could consider regarding Son's military service. Cacao Nibs suggested the defense ministry allows Son to delay his military service until after the football star turns 35. Internet user 8767**** hailed the suggestion and said the government can consider permitting athletes to join the military once they retire from their sport.

The debate comes because Son, 25, is such a talented player who has outperformed his predecessors. Last year, he surpassed Korea's football legend Cha Bum-kun in achieving the season's largest goal-scoring tally by a Korean player in the European league. Son scored 23 goals during the 2015-2016 season, four more than Cha's 19, set in the 1985-1986 season when he played in the German Bundesliga.

Son became the first Asian player to win the Premier League's Player of the Month Award in September 2016.

A recent Gallup poll found Son is the most influential Korean player. In a survey of 1,700 Koreans, he earned 38.1 percent support, followed by retired figure skater Kim Yuna (13.4 percent) and LA Dodgers' pitcher Ryu Hyun-jin (12.8 percent).

Despite his impressive performances in the European league, some fans are skeptical about the idea to give perks to Son regarding his military duty.

Internet user Who's This claimed the proposal calling for special consideration for sports stars is unfair and it disrespects the Constitution, which states military service is an obligation for all able-bodied Korean males.

Another blogger wrote, "We already have a policy allowing male athletes not to join the military if they achieve certain accomplishments in the international sports events. But Son missed such an opportunity. Why do we need to give more perks to Son?"

There is a law in place that allows exemption from military duty for athletes who meet certain conditions. Under the scheme, players who have won Olympic medals or clinched a gold medal at the Asian Games are exempted from military service.

During the 2012 London Olympics, the national football team won a bronze medal and all those who actually played in any Olympic game were exempted from military service. Son, who was then playing in Germany's Bundesliga, didn't join the national team back then.

Then head coach Hong Myung-bo gave Kim Ki-hee, who had been on the bench all during the Olympic Games, the opportunity to play in the semifinal against Japan that was to decide the bronze medal.

Near the end of the second half when Korea led 2-0 and was almost certain to win, Kim was sent on as a substitute player and played four minutes until the end. If the game had finished without Kim having an opportunity to play, he would have had to do his military service. But the substitute player was able to be exempted thanks to his four minutes of play.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/sports/2017/12/661_241048.html

Son's military duty stirs debate

By Kang Hyun-kyung

There is no question Tottenham Hotspur's forward Son Heung-min is in his prime years.
Spurred by his four-game goal-scoring streak last week, Son has already bagged eight goals this season - five in the Premier League and three in the UEFA Champions League.

His epic performance in the European League has enthralled Korean football fans. Amid the excitement, some fans began to worry about Son's military duty. Like other Korean men, the football player is required to finish a two-year mandatory military service. His fans worry his duty could cut his Premier League career short because of the two-year gap.

On the internet, a debate about Son's military duty is in full swing.

Some "concerned" fans put forth the so-called Son Heung-min Law calling for exempting Son from mandatory military service in return for special taxes or allowing him to delay his military service after his retirement from the Premier League.

"Isn't it the time for us to discuss seriously how we can help great athletes like Son continue his successful athletic career without the disturbance of the military duty?" wrote internet user Zeus in a comment on the news article about Son's four-game goal-scoring streak. "I mean every Korean man must complete their military service because it's mandatory. But we can be flexible about this requirement. For example, we can consider allowing players like Son to donate a certain amount of money to the defense ministry to get exemption from military duty."

The internet user said such a donation-for-military service program can be helpful for the nation as the financial resources can be used to upgrade Korea's defense capabilities.

"It's a win-win for all concerned parties, because the defense ministry will also benefit from it and so will Son because he doesn't need to spend two years in the military," he wrote.

The rationale behind some fans' calls for the exemption of military service for outstanding athletes is that their tenure is very short, compared to normal workers, and they retire at a young age. So they have a relatively short time period to raise the money to finance a decent lifestyle for their post-retirement lives.

Another internet user Cacao Nibs suggested another option the military authorities could consider regarding Son's military service. Cacao Nibs suggested the defense ministry allows Son to delay his military service until after the football star turns 35. Internet user 8767**** hailed the suggestion and said the government can consider permitting athletes to join the military once they retire from their sport.

The debate comes because Son, 25, is such a talented player who has outperformed his predecessors. Last year, he surpassed Korea's football legend Cha Bum-kun in achieving the season's largest goal-scoring tally by a Korean player in the European league. Son scored 23 goals during the 2015-2016 season, four more than Cha's 19, set in the 1985-1986 season when he played in the German Bundesliga.

Son became the first Asian player to win the Premier League's Player of the Month Award in September 2016.

A recent Gallup poll found Son is the most influential Korean player. In a survey of 1,700 Koreans, he earned 38.1 percent support, followed by retired figure skater Kim Yuna (13.4 percent) and LA Dodgers' pitcher Ryu Hyun-jin (12.8 percent).

Despite his impressive performances in the European league, some fans are skeptical about the idea to give perks to Son regarding his military duty.

Internet user Who's This claimed the proposal calling for special consideration for sports stars is unfair and it disrespects the Constitution, which states military service is an obligation for all able-bodied Korean males.

Another blogger wrote, "We already have a policy allowing male athletes not to join the military if they achieve certain accomplishments in the international sports events. But Son missed such an opportunity. Why do we need to give more perks to Son?"

There is a law in place that allows exemption from military duty for athletes who meet certain conditions. Under the scheme, players who have won Olympic medals or clinched a gold medal at the Asian Games are exempted from military service.

During the 2012 London Olympics, the national football team won a bronze medal and all those who actually played in any Olympic game were exempted from military service. Son, who was then playing in Germany's Bundesliga, didn't join the national team back then.

Then head coach Hong Myung-bo gave Kim Ki-hee, who had been on the bench all during the Olympic Games, the opportunity to play in the semifinal against Japan that was to decide the bronze medal.

Near the end of the second half when Korea led 2-0 and was almost certain to win, Kim was sent on as a substitute player and played four minutes until the end. If the game had finished without Kim having an opportunity to play, he would have had to do his military service. But the substitute player was able to be exempted thanks to his four minutes of play.
I can’t believe there wasn’t a seriously long paragraph in this piece dedicated to @scaramanga and his deep (and educational) knowledge of tort law and opinion of the structure of South Korean societal norms & values.

Bumping this thread. He has been our 2nd most consistent attacking player since 2016/17 after Kane in my opinion. Simply has to play at the moment no matter what the formation is.

This place would be going ballistic if Lamela scored the sheer amount of goals Son scores from an attacking midfield position.

Bumping this thread. He has been our 2nd most consistent attacking player since 2016/17 after Kane in my opinion. Simply has to play at the moment no matter what the formation is.

This place would be going ballistic if Lamela scored the sheer amount of goals Son scores from an attacking midfield position.
Can't believe he still hasn't got a song. Are our fans rascist?

Yep, agree with that, though I'd say that Lamela is more similar to Eriksen than Son so I think Lamela should be challenging himself to get a similar number of assists as eriksen, rather than similar number of goals as Son. Obviously doing both would be even better!!!

Touch me
How can it be
Believe me
Son always shines on TV
Hold me
Close to your heart
Touch me
And give all your goals to me
To me

That is better than most of our strikers from the 90s!

I was flabbergasted today to learn that Chris Armstrong scored more Premier League goals for us than Gareth Bale. I never recall him being that prolific.

As for Son, his return has been excellent. He’s really established himself as a first choice player and deservedly so.

Bearing in mind he is not a natural striker I think 38 goals in 88 matches is an excellent return

I think you may have misread the chart ;)

DDCE16F4-928A-481C-87EC-85C5E0220CC0.jpeg

Is that starts or appearances?
FWIW, according to

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/heung-min-son/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/91845/verein/148

He’s made 75 starts with a further 38 appearances from the bench and is averaging a goal every 171 minutes (plus Son has contributed 20 assists).

Last edited:
Son...averaging a goal every 171 minutes
A goal every 2 games is great for a second striker.

They said at the weekend that since Shane Long last scored, Kane had scored about 45 goals!

Deary me Shane, come on, even a dead dog would score more frequently than that, if it was buried on the centre spot

Back