• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Don't know if there's any other Koreans on this board (I'm half, of the Southern variety) but I need to say... the last few pages have been completely asinine, disrespectful, and was largely a cringe-fest. Even though I'm used to this being an American and all that, can we please not sink so low?

Honest question, do you not think someone who is arguably the best footballer South Korea has produced, should not be allowed to play out his career and do national/military service later? or get an exception.

I don't think anyone is questioning National Service here, it just seems quite inflexible (and typical of most governments, nothing special there) to force the best athlete of his sport (and a really good ambassador for Korea from an image perspective) to give up prime years of his limited sports career. I get the example for all, but its something the authorities should see as exceptional circumstances.

He is a wonderful striker of the ball, him and Eriksen can just pop up and score, making us a multiple goal threat for any team.

Hope he's got something left for the weekend le NLD

Honest question, do you not think someone who is arguably the best footballer South Korea has produced, should not be allowed to play out his career and do national/military service later? or get an exception.

I don't think anyone is questioning National Service here, it just seems quite inflexible (and typical of most governments, nothing special there) to force the best athlete of his sport (and a really good ambassador for Korea from an image perspective) to give up prime years of his limited sports career. I get the example for all, but its something the authorities should see as exceptional circumstances.

From the perspective of being reasonable, I don't mind a delay in service so that a player can finish out their career. As to what actual South Koreans think is not something I can answer or comment on since I'm an American. I think an exemption might be a step too far unless he wins the World Cup or Olympics (I don't recall the criteria for being exempted for service, but either of these isn't going to happen haha).

Problem with adding flexibility is you end up with those with influence skipping it (say with bone spurs), I expect the before 30 is the flexibility.

Problem with adding flexibility is you end up with those with influence skipping it (say with bone spurs), I expect the before 30 is the flexibility.

Understood, but big difference between money influence and a once a generation talent ..

Countries do what they do, what they feel is right, but it'd be a fairly easy argument to make he's a better ambassador and better for the morale of the entire country at Spurs than vs. one additional head in active service.

To me the flexibility is already there. The precedent of exemption from service in exceptional circumstances has already been made in that if you win something you get a pass. I don't know how S. Koreans feel about this type of winners exemption, I only know N.Koreans, but it seems reasonable to me that if they accept this exemption then a postponement of military service for a few years is not that much of a stretch.

Unless you don't give a hoot about Spurs and are a South Korean who believes in service to your country AND you have a differing opinion of tort law to you.o_O

It's certainly what matters to me but I do try and see the bigger picture when discussing a subject.
I'd like everything to be as peachy as possible in South Korea. But not at the expense of our club's success.

I've been thinking if there is any possibility Sonny might get an exemption by winning something with Spurs, say a league title or CL (or even a FA Cup). Yes, it wouldn't be for S. Korea, but the positive impact to the sporting image of the country would still be great in that a native son (no pun intended) was a key player in the team that won the league or CL.

From the perspective of being reasonable, I don't mind a delay in service so that a player can finish out their career. As to what actual South Koreans think is not something I can answer or comment on since I'm an American. I think an exemption might be a step too far unless he wins the World Cup or Olympics (I don't recall the criteria for being exempted for service, but either of these isn't going to happen haha).

I must reiterate that from my perspective, anything you’re seeing which appears disrespectful is from the perspective of the nation’s rule NOT the nation itself. I personally do not believe in compulsory national service, and am genuinely curious as to ho Son can avoid it. Apologies if you find that view offensive, it most certainly is not meant that way mate.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Then he might have had a few more decent chances and half chances to miss.

Hey, you never know - he could pick it up one the halfway line, dribble past all eleven Arsenal players *twice*, round the keeper with the icy sangfroid of James Bond on high-grade ket...

....and *then* sky it into the Venusian atmosphere as soon as he realises that he has an open net to pass into. :p

Then he might have had a few more decent chances and half chances to miss.

Hey, you never know - he could pick it up one the halfway line, dribble past all eleven Arsenal players *twice*, round the keeper with the icy sangfroid of James Bond on high-grade ket...

....and *then* sky it into the Venusian atmosphere as soon as he realises that he has an open net to pass into. :p

So do you two think criticising Son is justified because of that chance he skied?

So do you two think criticising Son is justified because of that chance he skied?

Eh? I've been saying for a while now that he misses the easiest chances and thunders in the hardest ones. It's not a criticism - well, no, it is, but it's a minor one, because he usually makes up for it with a fantastically good screamer. In the lesser games, anyway.

But I don't get that excited when the ball falls to him with acres of space and time, that's all. To me, there's a two-in-three chance that he blasts it high or wide. It's just Son doing Son - no sense getting upset about it unless his output starts dropping more broadly.

Back