• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

It’s an overgeneralisation to say that anyone brandishing a St George’s flag must be a member of the EDL. I’m not overly patriotic myself, wasn’t even aware that St George’s day is today. But if people love their country and are proud of it then let them be, loving your country doesn’t automatically make you racist. I’ve travelled all around Europe and been to America and parts of Asia and people are proud of their country. I don’t get why it’s an issue for some?

I find the reaction to the st georges cross, English people being patriotic, supporting thier country or GHod forbid being proud of it utterly bizarre.
10s of thousands of Scots have walked the streets brandishing the national flag, as happens in many other countries, and it's seen as good thing, an event to celebrate, an opportunity to connect our past and our future. (although I personally think it's a load bolloks).
Whereas in England it feels like there is nothing but shame and embarrassment.
Granted this is viewed from a far but I do have many English friends, from Manchester to Hampshire and all points in between and from various backgrounds.
You really need to get over yourselves at times.

I find the reaction to the st georges cross, English people being patriotic, supporting thier country or GHod forbid being proud of it utterly bizarre.
10s of thousands of Scots have walked the streets brandishing the national flag, as happens in many other countries, and it's seen as good thing, an event to celebrate, an opportunity to connect our past and our future. (although I personally think it's a load bolloks).
Granted this is viewed from a far but I do have many English friends, from Manchester to Hampshire and all points in between and from various backgrounds.
I find it both ends of the scale TBH, todays news has seen them interview a load of blokes draped in flags claiming they can't be seen to show a flag and feel their patriotic side is being attacked, its all a little strange of a a take for me. I am patriotic but I don't feel the need to the symbolism, I'm also dubious about any feeling toward St George given they are not even sure if it was the right one, people can be as for it as they like, its just not for me and not something I need to justify my Englishness TBH.

I don’t get it either.

I don’t get it either. You can’t get away from the fact that we’ve done some terrible things as a country in our past but those things don’t define the country.

I find it both ends of the scale TBH, todays news has seen them interview a load of blokes draped in flags claiming they can't be seen to show a flag and feel their patriotic side is being attacked, its all a little strange of a a take for me. I am patriotic but I don't feel the need to the symbolism, I'm also dubious about any feeling toward St George given they are not even sure if it was the right one, people can be as for it as they like, its just not for me and not something I need to justify my Englishness TBH.

I find it hard to get behind any mass movement tbh.

I don’t get it either.

I don’t get it either. You can’t get away from the fact that we’ve done some terrible things as a country in our past but those things don’t define the country.
Religion, politics and nationalism all have their good points and their bad points, they just don't do anything for me.
Although I find it cringy in the extreme about how patriotic for instance Americans are and how devoutly religious some people are, there is a very, very small part of me that envies them that connection to something bigger.

Saw them for something like the 12th time at the Ally Pally - maybe the best I've seen yet. Incredible double-set.

Incredible indeed! I think one of the best shows I've ever seen live. I was expecting much, but they even exceeded that. And I was totally sober! The old guys still got it.

It must be puzzling to someone who identifies consistently as a massive taco through all the seasons.

What can you say to someone so deeply stuck down the rabbit hole, some real life context might help rather than desperately seeking to feel oppressed by anyone living a different lifestyle to you would be a start. It's amazing how full circle the "triggered / snowflake" thing has come around. You're on here on a Thursday morning spending your time getting worked up because a women with coloured hair has said something that has got you all hot and bothered.

Arguably that's hypocritical as I've taken the time to respond, it's not exactly helpful nor a positive use of time when it comes to lost causes like you but still man, be bothered by the actually horrendous things that are happening. If you were flapping about war, famine, actual evils in the world then it'd be fair enough but you're just displaying that you're a scared little man, presuming whining about pronouns and the like, it's pathetic.
I have no problem with how people want to identify themselves. The issue is that they expect everyone else to address them in the way they want, depending on what colour their toenails are, what season it is or what day of the week it is, and get all offended If someone gets it wrong. That's the issue.

People can identify as a fudging squirrel for all I care, but I reserve the right to address them as a person of one of two genders we have.

I have no problem with how people want to identify themselves. The issue is that they expect everyone else to address them in the way they want, depending on what colour their toenails are, what season it is or what day of the week it is, and get all offended If someone gets it wrong. That's the issue.

People can identify as a fudging squirrel for all I care, but I reserve the right to address them as a person of one of two genders we have.
I don't really care what anyone wants to be, treat me decently and I will treat you decently, be a clam and you can fudge off.
Squirrels are clams, they steal your oaty bar out of your bag at my golf course. Clams.

Who exactly is the "they" you're referring to? With the toenail / day of the week thing, I'm not sure it helps to comedically exaggerate something you might not understand in an attempt to make it appear preposterous.

I'm not certain which right you have to address them as a person of "one of two genders", it seems like you have gender mixed up with sex. It shouldn't really come to rights / the legality of anything anyways. My ex from uni days now identifies as non binary, should it be my right to refer to them as her? What would I gain from doing so other than not respecting someone's request? Genuine question, it doesn't feel like a whole lot is being asked if me so what's the problem?

Without having to get in to all of it, it's simple enough to just learn someone's name so then use of personal pronouns shouldn't even have to come up.

There's people starving, bombs flying, wars going on, a lot worse stuff than simply being asked to refer to someone you assumed was a he or a she as something other than your initial assumption. A lack of kindness / empathy / compassion and a strongly fixed belief system which ignores other cultures that have existed for centuries with an appreciation of different gender identities seems to be "the issue" more than what you've stated.

It seems the people most worked up by this are folks that have had no real life experience of talking to trans / non binary people and are just wanting to moan. If you had a son / daughter who genuinely felt they were born in the wrong body and transitioned, would you refuse them the courtesy of addressing them how they felt comfortable? If you aren't comfortable answering that question or even pondering it then fair enough, that could be quite personal but it's just a thought exercise, no offense / judgement intended.

Fun fact is that all embryos began life as female so all males are effectively trans when you think about it, and some folks are born with both male and female bits and bobs, the parents have to choose but their choice doesn't always align with how the child will identify when they grow up. It's not a simple subject that's for sure!

I like most correspondents on here am a human (sure there are some alien lifeforms writing) and have been living most of my life in a world where there have been 2 sexes, female and male I can't get my head round all the other varieties. I don't see what sexual practices people carry out has anything to do with anyone else and why it's of any interest as long as nobody is being harmed or forced to do things they don't want to. I just wish people just got on with their lives without wishing to burden the rest of us with their personal issues.

I like most correspondents on here am a human (sure there are some alien lifeforms writing) and have been living most of my life in a world where there have been 2 sexes, female and male I can't get my head round all the other varieties. I don't see what sexual practices people carry out has anything to do with anyone else and why it's of any interest as long as nobody is being harmed or forced to do things they don't want to. I just wish people just got on with their lives without wishing to burden the rest of us with their personal issues.

Amen to that.

Incredible indeed! I think one of the best shows I've ever seen live. I was expecting much, but they even exceeded that. And I was totally sober! The old guys still got it.

It was absolutely brilliant!!!! Again, been seeing them since 1996 and this was the best yet! Same as you, not a drop in my system or anything else for that matter, just sweat and love! Forest the next day, and that Friday I was privileged to enjoy some great time at the club, so fair to say it was a top top top weekend!!!

Religion, politics and nationalism all have their good points and their bad points, they just don't do anything for me.
Although I find it cringy in the extreme about how patriotic for instance Americans are and how devoutly religious some people are, there is a very, very small part of me that envies them that connection to something bigger.

Spurs wished everyone a happy St George’s day yesterday I noticed. They must be part of the EDL too.

I too envy people who take comfort from their religion, I just don’t think there is enough evidence to believe in any GHod or higher power. I can’t rule it out at the same time. Richard Dawkins has an atheism scale where he rates the probability of a GHod existing from 1 to 7, 1 being definitely and 7 being definitely not, he’s only a 6 as he cannot rule it out.

Spurs wished everyone a happy St George’s day yesterday I noticed. They must be part of the EDL too.

I too envy people who take comfort from their religion, I just don’t think there is enough evidence to believe in any GHod or higher power. I can’t rule it out at the same time. Richard Dawkins has an atheism scale where he rates the probability of a GHod existing from 1 to 7, 1 being definitely and 7 being definitely not, he’s only a 6 as he cannot rule it out.

I think the EDL / racist angle mainly came up because the reference to st George's day was posted by a well known racist.

We should definitely celebrate the wonderful country that England is on any given day, but to me, one of the best things about it is that we embrace different cultures / ethnicities given our history of being invaded many times over the years which in turn shaped our language/ culture. Whilst generalizing slightly, a bunch of tinkled up Meatheads with the England flag aren't actually the best representation of the tolerant and open minded society that we strive to be.

Interesting point on lack of evidence of GHod, if there was evidence, there would be no concept of faith. Supporting the GHod we know to be true would just be a matter of fact, which kind of defeats a key point of religion..I guess it's a catch 22.

Back