• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sliding Doors

Scholar, trying to make money [ for the club] from non footballing activities . Therefore being forced to sell to Sugar.

So we had to endure the Sugar mediocre years

Scholar is a good call. I can't stand Sugar, but he did set us on the right road to recovery from Scholar's period. They were indeed mediocre years but not entirely Sugar's fault. Sugar made some poor decisions, but so did Levy early on. It's taken a long time to recover from Scholar.

Chelsea vs Barca, Bayern in their CL winning run. Lucky ****ers.

There is a whole train of sliding doors there. Messi's penatly, Robben's penalty and then the penalty shoot out where England players score and Germans miss.

The biggest issue without comparison was the state/management of the club at the beginning of the PL era. Bar none, if we had our **** together then, we would have bankrolled our way to more success in the following decade.

Everything after that was trying to make the best of being already behind.

We certainly have been unlucky/close to things that could have significantly helped us and/or hurt our competitors, but it's always been from a catching up position.

For a true sliding doors moment where the timing was just off, what about Defoe just failing to reach the ball in the City game where they go up the other end and Ledley gives away the penalty against Balotelli. With the goal we'd have been in the CL again and on our way to establishing our position there, with the extra money, the extra draw for players, etc.

Plus the fact that Balotelli should have been sent off for the stamp on Parker. Game changer, that.

That whole sequence just defied belief.

It was like a long shot accumulator coming in. Un****ingbelieveable.
When the last pen went in that night I stood up in the pub and left, totally gutted of course. I haven't seen them ****ers lift the cup till this day. I just pretend it didn't happen :eek:

Sugar deciding that Armstrong was a better buy than Bergkamp... the scout who informed Redknapp that Suarez couldn't play as a striker... dismissing Archibald' recommendation to purchase Lewandowski for £5m...

but really do you think zidane would have become zidane playing under gerry francis?

Thing is, we would have lost any of those players before they reached their level. We were a mid table side, and rather than believe that ons player would make us champions, I know that a bigger club would have come calling before the player in question was at his very best.

We look at the player at his best and think, if only, but that's not the player we would have had. We would have just had the work in progress and that's if they adapted to the Premier League.

Still, could have seen some magic during their time at the club.

When the last pen went in that night I stood up in the pub and left, totally gutted of course. I haven't seen them ****ers lift the cup till this day. I just pretend it didn't happen :eek:

You've missed the priceless comedy gold of John Terry suddenly appearing in full kit to lift the trophy.

You've missed the priceless comedy gold of John Terry suddenly appearing in full kit to lift the trophy.

Ha. That's true but I've seen him appear (via photoshop) in so many other things at this stage I think I'll forgo the pleasure.

Yes, it still stings.

That whole sequence just defied belief.

That was my most miserable moment watching sport. Losing is different, it can provide a mix of emotions - disappointment, frustration, anger, resignation or even pride. That left just a stunned numbness and emptiness. There was a sort of inevitability leading up to it, even when Bayern took the lead it felt unreal and I couldn't celebrate.

Venables not knowing who the fvck that Beckham lad from our academy was.

He alone wouldn't have done much, but the increased worldwide exposure would likely have changed our fortunes.

Not trying harder to get Falcao from when he still was in Argentina. Could've gotten him for nothing, yet ended up with Peter effin Crouch.

Scholar is a good call. I can't stand Sugar, but he did set us on the right road to recovery from Scholar's period. They were indeed mediocre years but not entirely Sugar's fault. Sugar made some poor decisions, but so did Levy early on. It's taken a long time to recover from Scholar.

"Irving is no Scholar and Soloman isn't Wise" as the T-Shirts said at the trime.

The biggest sliding door there was not being sold to Robert Maxwell. We would be extinct now probably if he had got hold of us.

Was it hoddle who said we looked at juninho and Roberto Carlos back in the umbro cup tournament?

In fairness Roberto Carlos was better at free kicks than defending - a bit like a proto-Bale. Cost Brazil at leats 2 world cups with his poor positioning.

Back