• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sliding Doors

In fairness Roberto Carlos was better at free kicks than defending - a bit like a proto-Bale. Cost Brazil at leats 2 world cups with his poor positioning.

He was for me one of the best wing backs that there has ever been. His defending when Henry scored against them in 2006 was pathetic. Wasn't he tying his shoe laces or some crap like that? Anyway, he wasn't the greatest defender in the world but he and Cafu basically reinvented the roles of the full back in an attacking sense.

"Irving is no Scholar and Soloman isn't Wise" as the T-Shirts said at the trime.

The biggest sliding door there was not being sold to Robert Maxwell. We would be extinct now probably if he had got hold of us.

We were never going under. Sugar and Venables said they would not sell Gazza that was the first think they did. All we had to do was sell Gazza , Gazza with no injury was practically the whole debt.

Sugar was like Mike Ashley, not a real fan.

Sugar knew very little about football, so we were at the mercy of who he decided to listen to that day, or his own crazy opinions [ Carlos kick a ball ] no Bergkamp.

Sugar just did not have the generosity of spirit to enable us to do well. Too wrapped up in his own ego.

Scholar at least always had the interest of the club at heart and was a real fan.

How the feck Sugar can criticise the team/manager now is beyond me. At least have the grace to take your profit and shut up.

Last edited:
We were never going under. Sugar and Venables said they would not sell Gazza that was the first think they did. All we had to do was sell Gazza , Gazza with no injury was practically the whole debt.

Sugar knew very little about football, so we were at the mercy of who he decided to listen to that day, or his own crazy opinions [ Carlos kick a ball ] no Bergkamp.

Sugar just did not have the generosity of spirit to enable us to do well. To wrapped up in his own ego.

Scholar at least always had the interest of the club at heart and was a real fan.

How the feck Sugar can criticise the team/manager now is beyond me. At least have the grace to take your profit and shut up.

Colin…rarely have i found myself agreeing with you Sir, but your last three sentences are golden and I am with you wholeheartedly.

Thumbs up!

Sugar just did not have the generosity of spirit to enable us to do well. To wrapped up in his own ego.

Given Maxwell's history with Oxford & Reading (& the Mirror) if we had been sold to him which was rumoured at the time then I'm not convinced he wouldn't have screwed us as well. This wasn't a dig at Scholar, who as you say was a real fan, or even at Sugar but just highlightinga sliding door moment (as the thread sort of suggests) that could have been a pivotally bad moment if Sugar hadn't won the boardroom battle then.

For a true sliding doors moment where the timing was just off, what about Defoe just failing to reach the ball in the City game where they go up the other end and Ledley gives away the penalty against Balotelli. With the goal we'd have been in the CL again and on our way to establishing our position there, with the extra money, the extra draw for players, etc.

This was the one for me. I blamed Bale for the over zealous pass ahead of Defoe but it was a stud length that moment.
I don't believe in luck, I don't think there are conspiracies, but that season we had some stinkers go against us.

Chelsea vs Barca, Bayern in their CL winning run. Lucky ****ers.

It was like a long shot accumulator coming in. Un****ingbelieveable.
When the last pen went in that night I stood up in the pub and left, totally gutted of course. I haven't seen them ****ers lift the cup till this day. I just pretend it didn't happen :eek:

I did exactly the same. The lowest experience I have ever had as a football fan, the sick feeling was with me until well into July. Didn't even enjoy the whole preseason thing. A nazi scummy club it felt so wrong too.

Scholar, trying to make money [ for the club] from non footballing activities . Therefore being forced to sell to Sugar.

So we had to endure the Sugar mediocre years

How did you view those times Colin? It feels like you get absolutely zero pleasure out of spurs now, statistically our best side since 8god knows when, so what were you like in the sugar years?

How did you view those times Colin? It feels like you get absolutely zero pleasure out of spurs now, statistically our best side since 8god knows when, so what were you like in the sugar years?

At the time I did not want Sugar and Venables. I was never really that keen on Venables, wanted Dave Mackay. I supported Sugar over Venables and at that time thought Sugar got a bit of a raw deal from some fans in the Venables dispute.

I recognize that Levy is a better chairman than Sugar, the results are self evident . We declined a lot under Sugar, Arsenal and Chelsea took off while we nosedived into a boring mediocre team year after year. We are still recovering.

Sugar was self serving and incompetent at achieving footballing success .

I did exactly the same. The lowest experience I have ever had as a football fan, the sick feeling was with me until well into July. Didn't even enjoy the whole preseason thing. A nazi scummy club it felt so wrong too.

I think Lasagnegate did that to me even more…and when Stalteri didn't take Ade down before he played Henry in a few games earlier at scumbury was a horrible horrible moment...

Back