• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Should we be spending £30m on a player from Serie A?

SUIYHA

Scott Parker
With all the buzz about Lamela, it has got me thinking. Serie A has fallen way behind the Premiership, La Liga and the Bundesliga. My concern is, is a player who looks like a star in that league actually all that good? We are spending a huge amount of money on him.

When I was a kid, there were some outstanding Italian sides. IIRC there were six Champions League finals in a row in the 90s that featured an Italian side. And Serie A was a great place to look to import hugely talented footballers to the Premier League. Think Zola, Bergkamp, Vialli, Di Canio, Henry, Desailly, Carbone. But now? It's awful. I can't remember the last time a player came over from Serie A and took the league by storm like these guys did. Not only that, but Serie A clubs are badly struggling in Europe. Since Mourinho's Inter managed to defend their way to winning the thing in 2010, Italy haven't had a single Champions League semi-finalist, and they haven't had more than one club in the quarter-finals since 2007.

I have watched over the last decade or so as clubs continue to spend phenomenal amounts of money on importing players from Serie A to the Premier League, only to see a player who looked like a world beater in Italy badly struggle with the pace and physicality of our game. The first major Serie A flop signing I can remember in the Premier League (not counting Ramon Vega, Nicola Berti or Paolo Tramezzani) was Juan Sebastian Veron. £28m was the British transfer record at the time and he was a mega superstar coming to the Premier League. We had big name players in the Premier League, but up until his transfer most of the big money international signings seemed to be going to either Italy or Spain, so it was exciting to see one now coming to England. For Lazio, he'd been the driving force in helping them to win Serie A. His silky skills and passing ability were supposed to be the missing piece of the puzzle for Man Utd to win the Champions League again. But he couldn't hack it in England. He was so vastly inferior to Scholes, who's place in the team he'd taken, that United not only didn't win the Champions League but they also finished outside the top 2 for the first time in over a decade.

Was he a one off? Hell no. Let's start with his old mate from Argentina. Somebody he played with at Parma and Lazio. When Claudio Ranieri signed Veron for Chelsea, he reunited him with Hernan Crespo, one of Serie A's most potent goalscorers of the last decade. It couldn't go wrong. Except that Crespo also couldn't cope with the English game, the odd wonder goal aside. After he was sent back to Serie A on loan, twice, I remember reading that he'd cost Chelsea over £1m per game from his transfer fee and wages. And Chelsea didn't have to wait long to surpass even this. AC Milan are one of Italy's biggest and most traditional clubs and Chelsea signed their second top goalscorer of all time, aged just 29. Andriy Shevchenko was a mega superstar. He was a a Ballon D'Or winner. £30m was a British transfer record once again. And once again, the player found that the Premier League is a very different place to Serie A. 9 goals in 48 games in the Premiership was a shocking return for a player of his reputation, especially given the fact that he was on £120k per week which was practically unheard of at the time.

You might think that these high profile flops were just down to unrealistic expectations, or the players feeling the pressure of their price tags. But there are plenty of other Serie A flops from the last decade. Let's look at Liverpool recently. Fabio Borini was a promising young player from Roma who had just broken into the Italian national side when he joined Liverpool, his impact was minimal last season. Then you have Alberto Aquilani, who is doing well again in Serie A now that he's returned, but funnily enough couldn't produce anything like this kind of form in England. And then there was Christian Poulsen who looked good at Juventus before costing Roy Hodgson his job. Remember Savio who joined West Ham? Or Rolando Bianchi who joined City? They must have cost almost £20m between them because in Italy they looked good. And you have Gaston Ramirez, who has had flashes of brilliance for Southampton but has remained largely inconsistent.

The only two players I can think of coming from Serie A who have really excelled in England recently are Philippe Coutinho and Matija Nastasic. Both look to be extremely talented players. But, both are young players who have also had spells in other countries. Coutinho got to play in Spain and Brazil, both faster paced games based more on attacking football than Italy. The biggest impact from a player who made their name in Italy in recent times is probably from Mario Balotelli, and he made most of his impact off the field. The best goalscoring season he had in the Premiership saw him score 13 goals. After moving back to Serie A, he scored 12 goals in his first 13 games. Now Balotelli isn't alone in going back to Italy and taking the country by storm. Just take a look at some of his team mates. Kevin Prince Boateng, Robinho, Sulley Muntari...at best you could say these guys were inconsistent in England. But, big name players in Italy. And would you look at that? Carlos Tevez has just scored on his debut for Juventus. No doubt he'll be one of, if not the, best player in Serie A this season.

Perhaps it's just that the styles of play in the two leagues are so different. Perhaps it's not the same in other places. It isn't. Gaizka Mendieta's transfer to Lazio was a very long time ago, now the high profile flops are those COMING from Italy to Spain. Take Kaka for example. Remember him? I can hardly remember a match he's played in for Real Madrid. This is a guy who cost a world record transfer fee and was rated as the best footballer on the planet when he was at Milan. How about Zlatan Ibrahimovic? Arguably the best forward of the last decade in Serie A. Nobody doubts he's a phenomenal player, but he never produced his best form at Barcelona and he was chopped after only one season despite them spending a ridiculous sum of money on him AND giving away Eto'o, one of the greatest strikers of his generation, in exchange for him. Barca also recently signed Alexis Sanchez for big money, he's been very underwhelming so far. And of course, you get the same thing going the other way. Diego Milito was ok at Zaragoza but he was one of Inter's best players over the last decade. And Miroslav Klose averaged one goal in four games in the Bundesliga for Bayern over the four years he was there. That's ok, he was in the twilight of his career. Now he's 35, playing for Lazio, and has spent the last two seasons averaging a goal every other game. How can that work? A player at a worse club relative to the rest of the league, in an older body, scoring twice as frequently.

The fact is, Serie A has badly regressed. It's always been played at a slower pace to the Premiership. The difference is that, whereas Serie A once had the edge on this league in terms of the technique and finesse of their players, we now have players like Dimitar Berbatov and Hatem Ben Arfa playing even for mid-table clubs in the Premiership, let alone your Van Persies, Hazards, Matas, Agueros and Silvas. Their game is slow, non-physical, negative and boring. So unless your "tekkers" is absolutely exceptional, you will struggle when trying to play the way we do things over here.

It will be interesting to see how the careers of not only Lamela, but also Edison Cavani, Stevan Jovetic and Pablo Osvaldo develop over the next couple of years now that they've left Italy. They might do extremely well and cement their names as world class players. But I'd be surprised if all of them do. And not just because of Osvaldo's bad attitude. I wonder if anyone can give any real insight (not "if he's good enough for AVB and Baldini then he's good enough for me") as to why they think that Lamela is worth this investment, given the bad recent history of players from Serie A, and the fact that he will be moving to a new country with enormous expectations given the size of the transfer fee and the fact that he will be replacing one of the best players we have ever had at the club. Watching the youtube highlights of him today, the way he runs with the ball at pace using predominantly his left-foot does remind me of Bale, perhaps he's the most like for like player out there. But, given the history of importing players from Serie A, is this kind of investment a good idea?

Serie A may have "fallen behind", but I wouldn't say it's fallen behind either the Dutch or Croatian leagues. Yet Vertonghen and Modric turned out alright.

It was the scouts at AS Roma that provided Lamela with the opportunity to make his move to Europe... that says absolutely nothing about his quality as a player. He might be a £7m player masquerading as a £30m player. Or he might be a £90m player hiding inside a £30m player (Gareth Who?) Probably somewhere in between. But the fact that Serie A was his first European port of call doesn't mean much in that regard.

That's a genuinely great post. However, there are exceptions, as ever, to the blanket assertion that players from Serie A have struggled abroad in recent seasons. A few examples would be Sokratis Papasthopoulos, Chico Flores, Javier Pastore, Thiago Silva and Marco Verratti, to name a few off the top of my head. Papasthopoulos moved to Werder Bremen after a year at Milan, and impressed enough to convince Dortmund to spend an estimated 10 million quid to secure his services. Chico moved from Almeria to Genoa, spent a good year there and moved on to Mallorca, impressing enough to earn a move to Swansea. Javier Pastore was widely regarded as one of Serie A's best playmakers, and while certainly not an overwhelming success at PSG (due mainly to being played sparsely and out of position when he was given minutes), he still manages to pull off some great skills when given time. Verratti was rewarded for an impressive debut season at PSG with a new contract recently. And Thiago Silva can certainly be called a success, despite his injury woes.

Your general point is, in my opinion, a good one: Serie A has regressed to the point where risking money on relatively unproven or briefly exciting players can safely be considered a big risk. However, it is not universally risky: as proven, enough players impress elsewhere to provide evidence for the assertion that there's still a lot of talent being developed and brought into Italy. It does take a more measured eye to prevent Shevchenko-like disasters, but in Baldini we have a man who has played in Italy, worked as a sporting director at Roma and Madrid, and served as an assistant manager to Capello in England. He's likely well aware of the differences between Italy, Spain and the Premier League in terms of playing styles and overall quality. Similarly, AVB has worked in Portugal as a manager, Italy as an assistant to Mourinho and England as a manager. He will similarly likely be aware of the differences between the leagues in those countries, and will know whether a player can easily transition from one league to the next.

Those two have enough continental experience to assure me that any players we do sign from Italy are talented enough to slot seamlessly into the PL. And as a sort of closing statement, Lamela has impressed for a while now: at Roma last season, but also at River in the season before that. He was River's best player, without a doubt, in their relegation campaign of 2010-2011, and I watched quite a few matches of theirs that season. I trust Argentina and Italy are different enough to make a player impressing in both leagues sufficiently versatile and adaptable. :)

Lamela will likely do well here, and with the scouting and recruitment team we now have (headed by Baldini and AVB, and funded by the notoriously prudent Levy), a Veron-style disaster seems eminently unlikely.

whats with the multiple paragraphs..

TraceyBacksOutSlowly.gif

Should we buy them from MOTD like Harry did then?

You cant just rule out a player because of the league he's in.

I mean the Brazilian league a lot slower than the Italian League and we just bought a box to box midfielder from there who's terrific. Actually the Italian league is probably a lot faster now than the last time you watched it.

Signing any players for such a big fee is always a big gamble. But don't think we have many options left now. As the Willian saga showed, we cannot compete with the big clubs. So, we can only sign players who want to come and are not wanted by the big clubs.

I think the piece you are not taking into your equation is, the best players in Serie A in the past went to Spain, not England

Go look at the big money signings that went from Italy -> Spain, is the story the same?

It's a risk, but I think we are generally a cautious club, and a few people must think this kid has something going for him.

Judging by how Paulinho and Soldado look I'm not too worried. Doubt he's worth the money paid but this is a hell of a lot better than Carroll, Downing, Henderson etc.

My initial reaction was wtf? But I actually read your piece and you make some valid points. Knee jerk on my part due to the fact that we are always screaming about the club not being ambitious enough and when we decide to break our club record 3 times in the same window for 3 very good players, you pose this question in response. It's a forum and everyone is entitled to their views and legitimate discussion.

So, after considered deliberation on my part of the points you raise, my response to your question is...

wtf? :)

Should we buy them from MOTD like Harry did then?

You cant just rule out a player because of the league he's in.

I mean the Brazilian league a lot slower than the Italian League and we just bought a box to box midfielder from there who's terrific. Actually the Italian league is probably a lot faster now than the last time you watched it.

got us CL league and 4th twice. Maybe buying players off MOTD isnt the worst way to go.

even got us sandro and VDV.

The league we buy the player from is irrelevant. The scouts and manager should be watching the ability and various attributes of the player, as well as mentality etc to decide if that player can transfer those to England and excel in our team.

Yes.

I never quite understand this argument (that was also presented when we signed Capoue) when we're talking about signing a single player. It's not like we're targeting the Italian market. This will be the only signing from Serie A so far both since AVB and Baldini came in. That's not a trend, that's one individual situation.

We've seen brilliant players come out of leagues much smaller than the Serie A currently is.

In this specific case we're talking about a player our technical director knows very well. If I said "there's probably no more than a handful of people in the world of football that know more about how good Erik Lamela is, what his strengths and weaknesses are, what his potential is and how his attitude is" some of you might disagree. That's a somewhat hyperbolic and tabloid statement after all. But even admitting that it's not all that far from the truth.

If this individual situation is not where we trust Baldini then I don't know when we should.

The OP is the best post I have read on here so far. Absolutely superb. Well thought out constructed point, rather than an emotional response based on hope or an irrational dislike of a player. Fantastic post, well done!

To discuss the post itself. It does demonstrate how far the Premiership has come (and how far Serie A has fallen) when you look at the 90's. Then the reverse was evident. Perceived flops from Serie A (Klinsmann, Bergkamp and Henry) ended up shining in the Premiership. Even players like Zola and Di Canio weren't that highly regarded in Serie A also became stars over here.

Going through the list of players in the OP, it does show a worrying trend. For me personally the problem isn't purchasing player(s) from Serie A. There are obviously some talented players in Serie A who could cut it in the Premiership. It's purchasing a player for £30m. We aren't Emirates Marketing Project and we can't afford to have a £30m flop. It's a massive risk, especially for a player so young. But to counter that, if we want to make that push to the next level and take advantage of the current opportunity we have to take risks.

Another problem I have is the lack of realism from a lot of Spurs fans, that puts immense pressure on the players. Reading through this forum you'd think that every purchase we've made this Summer is a world class talent. It won't end up that way. It never does. In fact for every five players purchased the standard outcome seems to be that a couple of them will still be first team regulars by the second season at the club and the others moved on or benched. If anyone wants proof of this just look at our signings over the last 5 seasons and how many of them are in the first team this year.

When you look at our signings from last year Lloris and Vertonghen appear to be the two that will command places, and probably eventually move on to bigger things. Dembele, Sigurdsson and Dempsey (all from the Premiership remember) haven't shone as much as I would have hoped in my opinion. Dempsey, probably the best of three in terms of output, has already gone. I don't think Siggy will be around much longer and I think Dembele will fall behind Paulinho, Sandro, and Capoue in the pecking order, and I also think we'll bring in another midfielder yet with the view of that new midfielder being a first team player. Holtby was low risk, but didn't look brilliant in his first 6 months and has become injured at an unfortunate time for him. Hopefully he'll get his chance and prove to be a worthwhile signing.

So should we purchase Lamela for £30m? It's a huge risk. But it seems to me to be a risk we have to take. I certainly feel it's less of a risk than Willian, who I personally feel is unproven in a top league and isn't a Brazilian regular.

I just hope the team gels quickly, because when you look at the team from two seasons ago and then look at the potential first XI from this season it's a complete revolution!

Yes.

I never quite understand this argument (that was also presented when we signed Capoue) when we're talking about signing a single player. It's not like we're targeting the Italian market. This will be the only signing from Serie A so far both since AVB and Baldini came in. That's not a trend, that's one individual situation.

We've seen brilliant players come out of leagues much smaller than the Serie A currently is.

In this specific case we're talking about a player our technical director knows very well. If I said "there's probably no more than a handful of people in the world of football that know more about how good Erik Lamela is, what his strengths and weaknesses are, what his potential is and how his attitude is" some of you might disagree. That's a somewhat hyperbolic and tabloid statement after all. But even admitting that it's not all that far from the truth.

If this individual situation is not where we trust Baldini then I don't know when we should.

Maybe I read it wrong, but the OP is questioning whether it's wise to spend £30m on a player from Serie A. If Lamela cost £10m I don't think he'd have written his post. I don't think Capoue cost even £10m did he? Same applies to Chadli who for me doesn't look amazing so far but is certainly worth a punt.

In these cases I agree that trusting Baldini is all we can do. In the case of our other two high profile high cost transfers, it's so far so good and I think we can all agree we'd like that trend to continue!

Serie A isn't what it was, but it is still a very strong league. Juventus, AC Milan & Napoli have all been very competitive in the Champions League and Udinese, Lazio and Fiorentina have done well in Europa. Roma who had a very strong squad finished outside the top 6 last season.

I'd question whether it has fallen behind La Liga. Yeah ok, the 'top' Italian clubs struggle to compete with Barca, although i'd fancy Juve to do R Madrid, but in terms of depth, i think there are more good teams in Serie A than in La Liga. I mean after you get past Barca, Real and Athletico Madrid, where's the quality?

Plus we're only paying for Lamela about what Chelsea paid for Hazard from the French league, no?

Back