• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Several days until I attend my next meeting of Pedants Anonymous

It's been a while but I have just noticed another common confusion.

Disinterested means impartial, which is what a referee should be. He should not be uninterested, which means what most people think it means.

It's been a while but I have just noticed another common confusion.

Disinterested means impartial, which is what a referee should be. He should not be uninterested, which means what most people think it means.

This is a classic. ^

As is mixing up 'less' and 'fewer'.

Showing my true pedant credentials, there was an article on the BBC site about the F1 where they used less rather than fewer twice... So I emailed them and they changed it. Yes, I checked.

And another thing..!

I've noticed the increasing use of a kind of permanent present tense in writing.

To put it in a Spurs context, sentences like -

"There's no way Levy pays £30m for Schneiderlin"

Instead of "there's no way Levy would (or will) pay £30m..."

Or similarly stuff like "if Eriksen starts we win the game".

I could be completely wrong but it strikes me as an Americanism. Anyone else come across this?

It is several days until my next session at Pedants Anonymous and I admit I am struggling to cope.

Should that not be 'with Pedants Anonymous' ?

Always happy to pick you up.

Somewhere there's a screed about the AGM of the Pedants Society - debating whether an apostrophe should feature and where - also Society For Pedantry.

Keep up the good work !

Should that not be 'with Pedants Anonymous' ?

Always happy to pick you up.

Somewhere there's a screed about the AGM of the Pedants Society - debating whether an apostrophe should feature and where - which also relates to the Society For Pedantry.

Keep up the good work !

Happy, in turn, to clarify a broken sentence.

:)

12am immediately follows 11pm. 12 pm immediately follows 11am. It's playschool level ffs!!!

Tesco bakeries section used to have a poster for different cake styles and one said your the best dad in the world.
What chance have you got.

Q: Is that my "The Best Dad In The World" cake?

A: Yes, that's your "The Best Dad In The World" cake.

...sorry, I have to try to make it work!

12am immediately follows 11pm. 12 pm immediately follows 11am. It's playschool level ffs!!!
Whatever happened to 'noon' and 'midnight'? Playschool it may be but I despise the use of 12am and 12pm because I have to stop and think about it every ****ing time.

Another one. Australian cricketers who regularly insert 'Look ...' or 'Ah look ...' when answering interviewers' questions. Although in a way it's quite fetching. I guess! :D

Don't know if it's relevant to this thread but I have just seen news that thr inventor of auto carrect has dyed

David fudging Gold's Twitter account...

Too instead of to. Their instead of there.

So as I understand it, it is customary for pedants attending Pedants Anonymous to gather in a circle, each standing in turn, and say: "My name is Dave [or whatever their first name is] and I am a pedant."

That doesn't strike me as particularly anonymous. "No, I'm pretty sure I know who you are - you're Dave."

In fact I think the use of the first name, coupled with the lack of disguise, might be a bit of giveaway on the identity front. Perhaps it should be renamed Pedants Not-that-anonymous-at-all-really.

Last edited:
Back