• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

Pretty poor that we keep on giving away cheap goals from corners, a deficiency so apparent that even the Chav fans have noticed it www.chelseadaft.org/2013/05/exposing-tottenham-weakness-corners.html #-o

I don't think I can ever remember Hudd looking even slightly threatening inside the box itself from a set piece.

True. Although if he ain't taking taking the corner then maybe Huddlestone might some day pop up with a repeat of that Sheringham-esque volley against Zagreb.

Pretty poor that we keep on giving away cheap goals from corners, a deficiency so apparent that even the Chav fans have noticed it www.chelseadaft.org/2013/05/exposing-tottenham-weakness-corners.html #-o

True. Although if he ain't taking taking the corner then maybe Huddlestone might some day pop up with a repeat of that Sheringham-esque volley against Zagreb.

He hit one like that against the Goons as well. Dunno why he doesn't shoot more often (oh yeah, that's cos he's way back on the halfway line .... :/ )

Yet again we can't provide a real threat from corners.

With our strength and size we really must score more this season.

One thing I have noticed is that all our main threats ( Dawson, Kaboul, Verts) start their runs on the penalty spot area. This gives them little chance of getting a good run at the ball and any cross has to be nigh on perfect to get it to them without the goalkeeper or defenders intercepting. I believe this largely explains our lack of goals from this source.

Thoughts?

I thought that Eriksen's corners looked pretty good against Norwich. He seems to be able to get some decent top spin on them and get them in direct and at pace. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.

One thing I have noticed is that all our main threats ( Dawson, Kaboul, Verts) start their runs on the penalty spot area. This gives them little chance of getting a good run at the ball and any cross has to be nigh on perfect to get it to them without the goalkeeper or defenders intercepting. I believe this largely explains our lack of goals from this source.

Thoughts?
I reckon we should all line up around 10 yards outside the penalty area, all the big guys in a line and then just charge towards the goal as the ball is delivered. I reckon it would work and scare the **** outta the opposition!

The main issue did use to be straightforward poor delivery. We'd either hit the first defender on the shins or put it out for a throw-in on the far side. That has improved, I think; now what's being shown up is the lack of intelligence in how to attack the ball. It's true; there's almost never anyone waiting for the flight of the ball and coming in with a late run.

Thoughts?

YAWN...........

Thoughts?

I'm confused by this as well, to my mind we appear to just not know how to attack a ball. It's not even just corners, it's also free-kicks and crosses. The delivery is not nearly as poor as some people on here think it is. Rose and Walker's crossing is really not that bad but with so little to aim for it invariably comes to nothing.

A prime example was today against Tromso. Free-kick 30 yards out, Eriksen whipped it in and it bounced in the exact position you'd want a right-footers free-kick to hit, between the line of defenders and the goalie (the corridor of uncertainty as geoffrey boycott would say). No one moved a muscle. Was ridiculous and not the first time this season.

I would rather see us go back to what we did under Harry and just play anything >25yards short because at the moment we just waste possession.

I thought that Eriksen's corners looked pretty good against Norwich. He seems to be able to get some decent top spin on them and get them in direct and at pace. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.

Agreed. Better delivery is the key although our movement might also have room for improvement.

I was thinking it could be because our ground is fairly tight and there isnt enough space for a taker to run up to the ball and get much power - then I think of all the corners we have conceded and that defuncts my view.

We do need to improve set pieces thats for definite.

The way kardiff scored with their corners against Emirates Marketing Project they be whipping them in,hope lloris has his hard hat on.

With the height we got especially now,we should be making more of our corners,when was the last time we scored from one and when was the last time you heard Dembeles name mentioned when we do actually get one on target?

I reckon we should all line up around 10 yards outside the penalty area, all the big guys in a line and then just charge towards the goal as the ball is delivered. I reckon it would work and scare the **** outta the opposition!

Couldn't be any worse than now!

Seriously though, with so many of our corners not going over the first man, why don't we put someone in front of them to flick the ball on? Dawson would be good for this IMO.

That seemed to be Scotland's plan against England

Couldn't be any worse than now!

Seriously though, with so many of our corners not going over the first man, why don't we put someone in front of them to flick the ball on? Dawson would be good for this IMO.

Last night the problem was most of our corners went over the last man.. Putting a man in to flick it on a the front won't help..

Totally agree. I have got to curb my enthusiasm for this guy!!

Last night the problem was most of our corners went over the last man.. Putting a man in to flick it on a the front won't help..

We should also post a man deep for this eventuality. All our **** corners suddenly pose a threat wherever they go.

Back