• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

But also seemingly their best left sided player by some margin. Moving him centrally could leave them weaker in two positions...

Compared to the kind of competition for places they had with Berbatov, Tevez and Rooney, or the option to go two up front instead of Rooney and RvP as a partnership, seems massive. So I'm not sure "historical" comparisons how they've done with and without Rooney are particularly informative for the current United team.

Martial up top, Depay on the left.

Fellaini is also out for some weeks with an injury.

Depay has been a huge disappointment though. Massive step down from Rooney/Martial unless he can find some form at this point of the season.

Yes Depay has been universally dreadful, he also continually gets ripped for his inability to track runners back towards his own goal.

I said the Rooney injury weakens them considerably, others disagreed, time will tell.

Yes Depay has been universally dreadful, he also continually gets ripped for his inability to track runners back towards his own goal.

I said the Rooney injury weakens them considerably, others disagreed, time will tell.
Sounds like we had a lucky escape in not signing him?

But also seemingly their best left sided player by some margin. Moving him centrally could leave them weaker in two positions...

Compared to the kind of competition for places they had with Berbatov, Tevez and Rooney, or the option to go two up front instead of Rooney and RvP as a partnership, seems massive. So I'm not sure "historical" comparisons how they've done with and without Rooney are particularly informative for the current United team.
Not sure I can agree with you. Martial moving up front will release him of his defensive duties, he has to track back a lot when he plays on the left and will carry much more of a forward threat playing as the main striker. Man U also have some decent AM options, I really don't think it will be that big a deal and might even be a blessing in disguise....

Not really, Depay is immensely talented.

How many examples do you need of young foreign players not setting the world alight in the PL first season only to go on and establish themselves?
I don't mean in terms of his ability, it is clear to me that he has lots of that. I mean in terms of work rate. Our system requires players who are required to put everything on the line for the team. Lamela is a good example of this I think, even when his technique and decision making was poor he still worked incredibly hard for the team. If Depay is failing to track runners then IMO it either shows a questionable attitude or a lack of being able to take in instructions from the manager.

I don't mean in terms of his ability, it is clear to me that he has lots of that. I mean in terms of work rate. Our system requires players who are required to put everything on the line for the team. Lamela is a good example of this I think, even when his technique and decision making was poor he still worked incredibly hard for the team. If Depay is failing to track runners then IMO it either shows a questionable attitude or a lack of being able to take in instructions from the manager.
Oh sorry yeah, Id go with that. Although if we had acquired him or even wanted him in the first place, it would have been because Poch/Mitchell saw that he had the desired work rate or at least the level required for this team should have been coached into him. I wouldn't judge what he should have done for us work rate wise on what he's doing at Man Utd.....

I for one do not think United are without a shout of top 4. City look vulnerable, having dropped points and their management situation isn't helping things either.

They're expected to line up something like this tonight:

De Gea
Love Smalling McNair Blind
Carrick Schneiderlin
Lingard Mata Depay
Martial
Almost down to the bare bones.

Sounds like we had a lucky escape in not signing him?
Maybe, but I think his confidence is in the toilet at the moment and LVG is certainly not the person to bring him back into form. He looked amazing at PSV and I have notion Poch (or Jose :eek:) could turn him into the next Hazard if he got his hands on him.

His tracking back is a bit suspect, as you say, but some of that may be down to his situation (lack of motivation).

Last edited:
They're expected to line up something like this tonight:

De Gea
Love Smalling McNair Blind
Carrick Schneiderlin
Lingard Mata Depay
Martial
Almost down to the bare bones.

Not a bad side really; you have to wonder why LVG doesn't use Herrera more; he'd probably be better at releasing the quicker forward players instead of continually doing the sideways passing thing

I guess we can expect similar lineups next two games as well. Focus is on the league.

Almost certainly.

Eriksen and Alli the only players of the front 6 given a real run out today that are first choice, assuming Lamela is ahead of Son at the moment for the Swansea game. Give both of them a breather against Palace and/or in the return leg against Fiorentina and we're already well on our way to decent rotation for these cup games.

Right then, Poch picked the team I thought for the City game. Now let' see how we lineup for Fiorentina!

You never really know with Poch -- you sometimes think a player will surely get the next game off, and then he doesn't. And then he might rest that same player in another game where you expected him to start.

Obviously, as per my other post, I think Harry will start but I don't think I have ever guessed the correct XI when it comes to a game where Poch rotates. Today's XI was easy to guess, it almost picked itself. Fiorentina, I'll be surprised if I get 10 out of 11 right!

I got nowhere near his selection for tonights game. You can't 2nd guess Poch!

Back