• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

I think you need to take into account the player he was up against and the team. Dortmund had nearly 70% possession !
For the most part, he stood firm under severe pressure.
Has Walker ever been tested like that?
Dortmund are one of the best sides in Europe.
I thought Aurier had a very sound debut and looks like a better footballer than walker and a better defender.
Of course Walker has been tested like that.

Thought he was out of position quite a bit. Very slow to get back into position several times. Some rash challenges. Very slow to get out to play offside and caught yards behind the others for one of their disallowed goals. Just luck that ball didn't go to someone else.

He had a good enough debut for a new arrival against good opponents. But one (or more) of his errors could easily have cost us and had that happened the errors would have been scrutinized a lot more. I think that would have changed a lot of opinions on here.

The talent and ability is clearly there. But he needs to settle quickly to deserve his place ahead of Trippier.

Thought he was out of position quite a bit. Very slow to get back into position several times. Some rash challenges. Very slow to get out to play offside and caught yards behind the others for one of their disallowed goals. Just luck that ball didn't go to someone else.

He had a good enough debut for a new arrival against good opponents. But one (or more) of his errors could easily have cost us and had that happened the errors would have been scrutinized a lot more. I think that would have changed a lot of opinions on here.

The talent and ability is clearly there. But he needs to settle quickly to deserve his place ahead of Trippier.

Fully agree, he was caught out of position a couple of times whereas Walker's speed would have got him out of trouble. One particular time when they attacked down our left and the crossed ball flashed across all the players, he was a good yard too slow to have stopped a certain goal had the ball been crossed more accurately.

Reactions: DTA
His debut were against one of the best teams in Europe ... There were nothing in his game that disappointed me. And there's definite upside to his game so all is good!

I thought he looked excellent. For his first game in a new side in a new country. 3-4 years younger than Walker, we will need some patience with him. He likes to go to ground. But he's potentially a better player than Walker. certainally is at the same age. One of the best RBs around? Yes I think so. Especially if he kicks on and stays focused.

A VERY GOOD start to his time here, of course he looked a little off at times after all its a different faster game here then where he played before. It will take a little time to settle and adjust his game to the faster pace here but the guy has ability we just have to give him the time to settle.

He will make mistakes and he will learn from them.

He was all I hoped for! In his honor i have crafted the following song , to the tune of Lord of the dance

Serge, serge wherever you may be, you don't believe in equality
but it could be worse, you could be gay
being bummed by John O'Shea!!

Yes Of course Walker has been tested but like that? Maybe you could remind me where and when. Who has had 70% possession against us ?
He's also had his share of dodgy moments and brain farts against quality opposition and i honestly can't remember Walker having to deal with a team that had 70% possession and being under that sort of constant pressure during the first half. Pullisic is like lightning and it was a very difficult debut that Aurier handled superbly.
Early days but a very encouraging start.

Last edited:
Defensively Aurier looks much, much stronger than Trippier on the ball, especially when one-on-one. He also looks faster and less vulnerable to tricky wide players than Kieran. And if positional awareness is a weakness, he's certainly no worse than Tripps.

It's still very early days but for me Aurier showed plenty enough last night to suggest he will be generally be preferred ahead of KT - especially for the important games.

However against lesser teams where we are likely to be more on the offensive my guess is Trippier may be chosen for his superior attacking nous. Not that Aurier looks weak in that department either, he too seems able to put in a decent cross as well as play fine forward passes into the paths of Eriksen, Kane et al as he did last night.

Like I say, still early days but we'll see soon enough.

His performance yesterday would have been really against about 15 PL teams

If positioning is a weaknesses, it was also Walkers.
But the three at the back does allow for that to be a weakness.
He is going to be alot of fun. I suspect Walkers Peters still might get a few games though!

he's wise in the dark arts too. very good at and never misses an opportunity to persuade referees. I knew what he could do from before, but I didn't realise the impact he would have on our play. He plays with flair and he's top drawer. I love the explosive tackling, and we've had a bolshy french speaker in the backline for most of my time spurs, good to have one again :) amazing performance. feel sorry for trippier though as he is a very good player, sure there will be games this year but i bet he is gutted at the moment

Cut from the same cloth as Walker in a number of ways. Athletically superior, defensively capable of brainfarts but able to compensate with his pace. Fun character in the changing room too if his instagram is anything to go by.

Yes Of course Walker has been tested but like that? Maybe you could remind me where and when. Who has had 70% possession against us ?
He's also had his share of dodgy moments and brain farts against quality opposition and i honestly can't remember Walker having to deal with a team that had 70% possession and being under that sort of constant pressure during the first half. Pullisic is like lightning and it was a very difficult debut that Aurier handled superbly.
Early days but a very encouraging start.
I don't think possession numbers directly correlates to the amount of pressure a full back is under. Often having less possession means more time defending while organized. Defending can be harder as the team with more possession having to face counter attacks more often. The Dortmund defenders had a harder job on the day than our defenders did.

Pulisic is very good, and given his young age a wonderful talent for the future. Right now he's not exceptional at this level imo. An in form Reus would have been much harder.

They also had a young, settling and natural right sided player as their left back. A proper attacking full back would have made it a much harder challenge for Aurier.

Walker has faced worse. In terms of the quality of the wide man, the quality of the full back supporting him, game conditions to work in. And not least in terms of the quality of players in our team and the organization of our team. Walker had to play with Townsend ahead of him for a while there. In a Sherwood managed side. That makes facing even an average PL side worse working conditions for a full back than our game against Dortmund this week.

Yeah the main negative that stood out to me was getting himself needlessly caught way out of position a couple of times, and/or then just casually jogging back!

Hopefully it was just a fitness thing, but it was in the first 20 minutes...

In the first 20 minutes he did not seem sure of his role and how far forward and back he should be positioned. This was not helped by Eriksen's poor start who frequently lost the ball or passed poorly. Once Eriksen's game improved Aurier grew into the role and I thought he had an excellent second half when playing further forward. Indeed there were a number of occasions when I thought Trippier would not have made that tackle etc. It will take him time to get used to keeping the back line and the same can be said for Sanchez.

Yeah the main negative that stood out to me was getting himself needlessly caught way out of position a couple of times, and/or then just casually jogging back!

Yep I noticed this too about jogging back, there was a moment in the first half where his man was unmarked in our box with the ball on the other side of the area and Aurier was just casually jogging back, I was screaming at the Tele for him to get back in !!

That said though, I thought he was impressive, I think he'll be a beast for us.

This is precisely the sort of thing Poch sorts out very quickly, it shouldnt really be a concern.

Poch has the magic touch with full backs, given what he is working with with Aurier I expect big things.

Back