• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Season Expectations - Where's the flair?

What are your season's expectations now we know what the team will be? I think we should be top six, but I am underwhelmed and I wouldn't be shocked if we missed out on top six this year (which concerns me as I think we'll lose Bale if that happens, and we may lose him anyway if we don't get Champion's League).

I feel for Defoe too. He signs a new contract, probably under the impression it will be Ade, him & Kane as our strikers and then we go and do an opportunist purchase of Dempsey who will surely now become Ade's back up, dropping Defoe to third in the pecking order. I bet deep down he is sick as a pig that he will be stuck at the club until at least January.

Our previous manager got a LOT of flak over the last couple of years about "MOTD" purchases. This transfer window we have seen us sign Lloris (ironic considering a new keeper for this season wasn't a pressing requirement IMO) who is hardly an unknown and? Ade, Sigurdsson, Dembele and Dempsey. Four Premiership players, which isn't a bad thing really.

So I know we are changing our formation but with the transfer business done (assuming Moutinho isn't coming in) I don't feel good about VDV leaving. Our team has gone from being a cavalier, attractive short passing team playing with flair to a functional, direct passing and workmanlike outfit in one transfer window. Not impressed at all.

Like for like?

Friedel - he is old and I felt would have done for this year but I understand the requirement to buy a younger keeper. Whether Lloris will be the next big thing or the next Gomes, unable to cope with the physical aspects of the Premiership, remains to be seen but he is highly rated and we have to say it's an upgrade. So good business there. The information that Lloris was not sure about joining us may prove to be trouble ahead if we don't qualify for the Champion's League in the next two years.....

Modric/Dembele : I like Dembele a lot, but he is no Modric but Modric had to go so not really much we could do there. So weaker there.

VDV/Sigurdsson : I know we have a change of formation but VDV is a far superior player to Sigurdsson IMHO so we are definitely weaker here.

Dempsey : Ironic transfer for me. He won't be a first team player for us, and probably wasn't one of our main targets. I wonder if AVB sees him as Lennon's replacement and not as a striker? Either way I don't think he strengthens the first team.

Ade : Well we had him last season, so no change.

So IMO we now have a functional midfield that lacks flair, but is athletic and should be hard working and well organised. Comparitive to our rivals I don't think we've done that badly even though I think we're weaker than last year. Arsenal are definitely weaker, Liverpool probably about the same. The two Manchester clubs & Chelsea are out on their own. The threat to us is still Saudi Sportswashing Machine (as strong as last year), Everton & now I think Fulham. It's just too close to call and I think the distance between 4th to 8th this season is going to be very small.

My final thought is that with the 4th place margin likely to be so close I am again frustrated that we've waited until deadline day to conduct most of our business. We have 1pt from 2 matches and had we had our business done before the season we'd probably be sitting on 4pts now. If we miss out on 4th by a couple of points it will be just like last year and I will be sick as a parrot.

Forgot about Verts. Early days for him but Verts vs King? I guess it depends on which King we are talking about and we saw from Norwich last year that King was finished so I think that is an improvement too.

I think we will finish 6th at best. Truly hope I am wrong, but lots of talk about the AVB 'system' like he is a proven tactical genius, and too much belief that our new signings are already outstanding PL players. Getting everything in place will likely take some time, the doubt I have is how long that will be. Very pleased about Ade and Lloris, Dembele is a top quality player who will do well. Disappointed we lost Modric AND VDV - two genuine world class players who would grace any team, and any 'system'.

i'm very confident of top 4, we've increased our pace and power which is crucial in the current league

i don't think flair has won the league since 2004

I actually think Dembele plays with a lot of flair. Am gutted about VDV but his fitness was starting to cause problems as we saw against WBA -you can't have a fulcrum of your team that only lasts 70 mins.

Squad-wise I'd say we're well below Chelsea and City, some way behind United but roughly on a par with arsenal and Saudi Sportswashing Machine. I think were better overall on paper than Liverpool and everton. It's down to AVB now

I think we will finish 6th at best. Truly hope I am wrong, but lots of talk about the AVB 'system' like he is a proven tactical genius, and too much belief that our new signings are already outstanding PL players. Getting everything in place will likely take some time, the doubt I have is how long that will be. Very pleased about Ade and Lloris, Dembele is a top quality player who will do well. Disappointed we lost Modric AND VDV - two genuine world class players who would grace any team, and any 'system'.

With the mess AFC and LFC are in, who is going to finish in 4th and 5th above us then ???

As I said in the transfer thread I think we are definitely weaker, have a feeling well finish 6th at best, agree 100% with the OP. There is all this talk of the so called 'system' that AVB plays, the facts are that his 'system' has not yet worked in England, although I think he has a better chance now, Levy seems to have backed him where Abramovic didn't.

I just don't like the thought of a Spurs team lacking in flair and ability especially in the middle of the park, it's just not Spurs. Although I do think Dembele is a good player, hes no VDV for me.

As I said in the transfer thread I think we are definitely weaker, have a feeling well finish 6th at best, agree 100% with the OP. There is all this talk of the so called 'system' that AVB plays, the facts are that his 'system' has not yet worked in England, although I think he has a better chance now, Levy seems to have backed him where Abramovic didn't.

I just don't like the thought of a Spurs team lacking in flair and ability especially in the middle of the park, it's just not Spurs. Although I do think Dembele is a good player, hes no VDV for me.

Look I didn't see van der vaart take a game by the scruff of it's neck and almost single handedly drag his team back into it dominate midfield run through man u midfield as though it wasn't there at old Trafford . I love van der vaart and he has flair and awesome technique, but hee rarely dominates games, he often goes missing and he can't dribble past players like Dembele can.

You can't just compare Dembele to VDV like that and dismiss him. Aspects ofdembeles game are far superior to VDV and vice versa. I happen to think Dembele is more suited to our system

you lot are being way too harsh on yourselves.

we've got a bit of squad depth in the attacking department which is exactly what we need. adebayor cant tinkle around cause we can stick dempsey in. he also provides competition for sig. cant see why we cant push for top 4.

Look I didn't see van der vaart take a game by the scruff of it's neck and almost single handedly drag his team back into it dominate midfield run through man u midfield as though it wasn't there at old Trafford . I love van der vaart and he has flair and awesome technique, but hee rarely dominates games, he often goes missing and he can't dribble past players like Dembele can.

You can't just compare Dembele to VDV like that and dismiss him. Aspects ofdembeles game are far superior to VDV and vice versa. I happen to think Dembele is more suited to our system

Will be interesting to compare the two at the end of the season, hopfully Dembele can hit the ground running, as I said I do rate him, just thing that VDV was an excellent player with excellent experience and a fantastic winning mentality, plus he seemed to love the place!

But hes not here anymore, so I'll be fully behind Dembele for the rest of the season and hope your right about him!

i'm confident that we're in it for top 4.
we're moving from individual skills to a disciplined system of play.
i believe that overall we can be better, and the consistency will lead to more points throughout the season.

admittedly the silky skills of modric and vdv will be missed, but we've plugged all the major holes, and we've gotten in a bunch proven players not speculative buys for a change. and we have a dazzling dribbler, proven goal scorer and proven shot stopper.

the focus is going to be on the team, rather than the individuals this season.

and with AVB's attention to detail, i'm looking forward to the discussions on this board!

I think we are in with a good shout of top 4. I'm not blown away with the squads that Arsenal/Liverpool have been left with now that the transfer window has shut, Everton could be a danger if they keep their strongest team fit though im not sure about their squad depth and Saudi Sportswashing Machine will be there about as well. Some i know will disagree with me but despite 3 wins in 3 i'm not convinced by Chelsea's defence so despite what some are saying do not think they are certainties for top 3 either.

The thing i'm looking forward to seeing is how AVB set this team up. With Modric and VDV being sold we have lost 2 key players for us in the way we played under Redknapp. We are going to have to change our style of play because i dont think we have the players for it anymore (i think AVB has started implementing the changes already). Losing 2 key players would usually be bad but i'm just wondering if with the players we have bought in we now have a bit more flexibility to work with and whether we wont be so handicapped if someone who would normally be a first team starter gets injured (e.g last season with modric not playing we would struggle to control games as we wouldnt be able to hold possession so well).

I think Dempsey is the VDV replacement

we used to have VDV + modric in the midfield

Now we replace them with options:

sig + dempsey or
dempsey + dembele or
sig +dembele

Plus dempsey can go wide on the left or right, useful to give Lennon a much needed kick up the backside.

Not like for like but you can see we have more options now, and with more options possibly more tools to do the same or better job throughout a long local and foreign campaign

very diasappointed to miss out on moutinho but we really should finish top 4. the scousers are in up in arms about missing out on dempsey. can't say i'm overwhelmed about him but it shows the standing of the 2 clubs at the moment and the filth really are in mess.

must say i'm really looking to the game between them on sunday. should be a real cracker. you'll never hear the end of the moaning of whichever side loses/doesn't win or score

Confident that we will fight for 4th.

Liverpool have not moved forward at all, Arsenal didn't do anything more in the transfer window and Saudi Sportswashing Machine were strangely quiet.

To be honest currently If any of the three of them beats us to fourth i think it is going to be Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

We were lacking goals last season, we have signed dembele, who can score from midfield and Dempsey, who can score across the AM, RM and LM spots. LLoris is a good long term signing, hopefully he'll get into the team soon enough (sweeper keeper! 8-[). Adebayor in seems to have been missed by many, but it was a good signing.

It could all come down to injuries though, I can see liverpool struggling if Suarez gets injured/is racist, us struggling if Ade is injured and chelsea struggling if Torres is injured. Though Chelsea have the midfielders to compensate.

Expectations; Good football (which our squad is extremely capable of, nebulous 'flair' be damned), good support from our fans at the Lane (which has gone a bit flat recently, or is that just me?), and a clear indication of future potential showing in our games.

Top 6 would be nice. A cup too. Do I expect either? No, just like I didn't expect anything of Juande, Jol, Santini, Hoddle, Gross, Graham et al. I'll start expecting things after a season or so. Harry was admittedly different, because I expected (well, demanded) that he save us from relegation.

Think we'll be about sixth or so for most of the season, depending on injuries. Everton will have a good year and challenge for top four, along with Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Liverpool, Arse, and us. Five into one just doesn't go :lol:

The football will be inconsistent in quality and lack 'flair' and I expect a lot of turgid 0-0 games, but I also expect to see more workrate and discipline, which can save us until such time we actually buy the players the manager wants (hopefully by early Jan). Little Tom Carroll could be in a for a break-out season, since he's the only one in our current squad who can play a deep, mobile playmaker role with 100+ touches on the ball - not saying he's even at Allen's quality yet, but he should get a few opportunities. Lloris will struggle at first with the physicality of this league imo but will come good by the end of the season. Dembele will be frustrating if you expect him to be a creative attacking force or make more than 40 passes per game, but will shine in other areas. Ade will struggle without VdV and Modric to work with on the counter, but Dempsey will score 15+ again. If we don't have the guile to sneak through the back door anymore, we may as well blow down the front.

I think we are alot weaker than before in the attack,Modric might not have the most assists,but he created most of our chances last season.VdV was our second most creative player and always added in crucial goals.Now,we are left with Bale to create the chances,but now it will be alot easier for our opposition because the only thing they have to do now against us is to shut down our wings.We dont have a VdV or Modric coming from inside that will be a threat for them and I cant really see us scoring alot of goals this season.That said,we will be more solid in the defense and we should concede less goals.

I would be happy with a top 6 finish and I can see Everton being really strong this season and maybe even nicking the last CL place.

Back