• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Scouting

jimmyb

Milija Aleksic
The old Scouting thread was thrown out with the bath water, so to speak, and now resides in classics. Mods, please feel free to bring it out of retirement and add this thread to it, if you like.

Anyway, reason for starting this thread is that the following article is the first to shed any light on our scouting situation since the departure of Ian Broomfield:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1140832/?

Aussie heads up Spurs' Euro operation

14 February 2013-SBS: Dave Lewis

A new football frontier has been conquered by an Aussie – with former Sydney junior coach David Magrone landing the plumb job heading Tottenham Hotspur's European scouting operation.

Previously unimaginable that an Australian would be considered for such a role, Magrone – who in his former life as a player agent took teenagers Massimo Luongo and Giancarlo Gallifuoco to Spurs and others to Ipswich Town, Derby County and West Ham United – has now joined White Hart Lane himself.

Magrone, 39, was highly recommended by Spurs football director Tim Sherwood for a position that could see him play a significant part in sculpting the long-term on-field future of the leading London club.

Having also forged close ties with Ajax and its coach Frank De Boer during his numerous years in Europe, Magrone slipped through the net in Australia after being technical director at Premier league St George and Apia Leichhardt.

The only Australian known to hold a prestigious full UEFA 'A' coaching badge, Magrone said: "My first love is probably coaching. But scouting players and recognising talent is a huge part of that, and I have been given a unique and incredible opportunity by Spurs, who have placed a lot of trust and faith in my judgement.

"I'm going to be travelling a hell of a lot and trying to find players for our Academy and under-21 team at Spurs, which has been almost unbeatable this season, and also players who we think can go all the way.

"My goal is basically to unearth the next big talent out there for this club. Tottenham have set me no specific targets but they will want a lot of in-depth information about who's out there and recommendations on players across the continent.

"I'm proud to be a part of things at Spurs.

"Maybe I'm a bit of trailblazer."

Magrone, ultimately, would love to coach in the A-League, where he sees what he describes as a "brick wall".

"There is no coaching pathway back home unless you are a part of the system - or are a former Socceroo," he said.

"These days you have ex-players going straight into senior coaching roles having served minimal, if any apprenticeship, and that tends not to happen much on the continent.

"If you look at Ajax, even a football giant like Denis Bergkamp is starting out coaching the under-14s and De Boer has had to work his way up through the ranks.

"You don’t just go straight in at the top. You need the coaching experience and qualifications."

Magrone's talent-spotting itinerary reads like a Contiki tour schedule: he was in Turkey last week, followed by Paris, Portugal, Spain and Croatia, where he is tracking a $3 million-rated striker for Spurs.

He has a network of scouts working with him, and reports directly to Sherwood and Tottenham’s Academy manager, John McDermott.

"I've always been a Spurs fan," Magrone said.

"I started following them at the age of nine and 30 years later I am working for then. It's something special."

Cheers for posting that Jimmy. An interesting appointment, let's hope he unearths some gems.

Cheers for posting that Jimmy. An interesting appointment, let's hope he unearths some gems.

Indeed.

Wonder who this $3 million (I presume, since this is an Aussie article, that they mean Aussie dollars?) Croatian striker could be. The fact that he's mentioned specifically, if not by name, suggests that there's a particular interest there.

Good to hear, also, that this Magrone fella is a lifelong Spurs fan.

I'm surprised that this has dropped down the page and hasn't got more comments. I think that it provides an interesting insight into the direction that we are taking. At the very least who he reports into is interesting.

I'm surprised that this has dropped down the page and hasn't got more comments. I think that it provides an interesting insight into the direction that we are taking. At the very least who he reports into is interesting.

He's primarily a youth scout I take it. We aim to keep adding to our academy. Not sure how much scouting we do aimed directly at the 1st team. We'll send someone to watch targets I'm sure.

He's primarily a youth scout I take it. We aim to keep adding to our academy. Not sure how much scouting we do aimed directly at the 1st team. We'll send someone to watch targets I'm sure.

I get that. A difficult roll, I imagine that there are not that many undiscovered gems out there any more. You'd imagine that our training ground and good record of playing youngsters would help sell the club though.

Cheers for posting jimmy, never would have seen that on my own. Good read.

Seems right, the article almost contradicts itself, it's saying that he's "heading Tottenham Hotspur's European scouting operation", but he himself says that his primary job is to find academy and u21 players.

Back