• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saudi Sportswashing Machine ratings..

Huddlestone's always been 10x the player Parker will ever be - I don't think he's going to recover properly from his injury in time to show that again, but I hope I'm wrong.

How many top teams play a 1980s English-style holding midfielder that can't pass the ball properly? It's a dead position in modern football (at least amongst teams that want to achieve something).

Technically, in terms of his vision and level of skill, I absolutely agree. But The Hudd (aside from his chronic injury) lacks a very vital element IMO in order to be everything he could be; mentality. He simply does not have that extra 10% you need to push yourself to make your talent be the difference. It is a tremendous shame because right now is precisely one of those moments when it would be fantastic for him to be able to step up and in.

I absolutely see Parker's limitations, and there are many (his pirouettes and blind alley runs when they happen are frustrating) , but when it comes to his performances, but he brings a 'factor' which is important. Gritty, courageous and a 'destroyer' to an extent, he is pretty much Graham Roberts without the latter's level of skill.

I think right now he is a very very important part of a side working extremely well to compensate for not having two thirds of it's manager's favored spine available. The loss of Sandro is immense, but I do think that thanks to Parker bringing what he does to to the pitch, we're able to deal with it pretty well.

Tbh, I really struggle to see the difference between Parker's and Dembele's passing. Both have great defensive qualities, but even in good form tend to hold on to the ball far too long and rarely play the first-time pass, much less the visionary first-time pass. The result - we can win and keep the ball, hence our great defensive record, but good lord are we slow, turgid, and disjointed with it (yes, I know striker is a big issue here, but the problem runs deeper than that for me).

I know you keep beating this drum, but I like the beat! I don't think we have discovered our best XI yet so I can understand AVB playing both SP and MB because we certainly ain't losing with those guys.

Tbh, I really struggle to see the difference between Parker's and Dembele's passing. Both have great defensive qualities, but even in good form tend to hold on to the ball far too long and rarely play the first-time pass, much less the visionary first-time pass. The result - we can win and keep the ball, hence our great defensive record, but good lord are we slow, turgid, and disjointed with it (yes, I know striker is a big issue here, but the problem runs deeper than that for me).

A tad harsh maybe but more than a grain of truth in that.

Was tickled the way they both kept pirouetting today, you'd think they were practicing for the ballet or something.

Lloris 8
Naughton 6
Caulker 7
Dawson 8
Walker 7
Dembele 7
Parker 7
Holtby 7
Lennon 8 - worked hard allows Bale to really stretch the opposition
Bale 10 - simply fabulous
Dempsey 8 - worked his socks off, solid pro for us

BAE 7
Adebayor 7

Ok - so what exactly did Holtby do to get an 8? Being a new signing like Yiddo said?

Just thought he was energetic and creative 1st half which is what we've been missing, one excellent ball through to Lennon sticks in the mind, he faded second half and was subbed which at the time was a good call by AVB. Didn't change his rating in my eyes overall!

Maybe in a training ground exercise where players are asked to pass into targets at short and medium distances without any pressure on them they would be similar, and that they as such are somewhat similar as passers, that isolated technique. Although think Dembele is better, I can see the argument, kind of. Parker is a decent passer of the ball and more than just "a clogger".

The difference is that Dembele has a much better first (and second, and third) touch than Parker does and he controls the ball a lot better when running with it. That makes a massive difference. To me comparable to how Dawson technically is a pretty good passer, he hits the target a lot, but when building from the back Vertonghen is a much better player because of his close control.

Yes Dembele sometimes takes too many touches, but rarely are those touches just wasting time, he's often moving into space or looking for a pass and he's also capable of ghosting past players with those touches, and that's a pretty damn good way to unbalance opposition. You don't really see Parker do that.

Just thought he was energetic and creative 1st half which is what we've been missing, one excellent ball through to Lennon sticks in the mind, he faded second half and was subbed which at the time was a good call by AVB. Didn't change his rating in my eyes overall!

The thing is that if you had taken Parker out of the side yesterday our midfield would have been over run, Cisse and others would have been running at our centre backs down the channels, I watched Caulker yesterday he ball watches terribly and would have suffered, it's not about what Parker can't do it's about what he gives us, the first 15 minutes he was snapping into tackles and we were moving the ball quickly with Holtbys movement, then we slowed down and Dembele came into the game more and we started to suffer, the number of times Dembele got caught in possession and people say Parker slows our game down, we would not have won the game yesterday without Parker IMO.

Lloris - 7

Walker - 6
Daws - 7
Caulker - 7
Naughton - 6

Lennon - 6
Dembele - 6
Parker - 7
Bale - 9

Desmpey - 5

Ade - 6
BAE - 6.5

agree with that. Not much creativity coming from midfield (and I include Lennon in that). Bale is having to both create and score at the moment.

The thing is that if you had taken Parker out of the side yesterday our midfield would have been over run, Cisse and others would have been running at our centre backs down the channels, I watched Caulker yesterday he ball watches terribly and would have suffered, it's not about what Parker can't do it's about what he gives us, the first 15 minutes he was snapping into tackles and we were moving the ball quickly with Holtbys movement, then we slowed down and Dembele came into the game more and we started to suffer, the number of times Dembele got caught in possession and people say Parker slows our game down, we would not have won the game yesterday without Parker IMO.

I didn't say Parker shouldn't have been playing. Also, a 5 isn't a bad score, 5 is average, not bad but not good. 6 is above average, 7 is good, 8 is very good, 9 excellent and 10 perfect.

That's how i see the ratings anyway.

I thought it was a good team performance and everyone worked very hard, so nobody got below a 5. Parker was pretty wasteful at times, but put a real shift in which was important for the team.

I didn't say Parker shouldn't have been playing. Also, a 5 isn't a bad score, 5 is average, not bad but not good. 6 is above average, 7 is good, 8 is very good, 9 excellent and 10 perfect.

That's how i see the ratings anyway.

I thought it was a good team performance and everyone worked very hard, so nobody got below a 5. Parker was pretty wasteful at times, but put a real shift in which was important for the team.

I totally agree about our team performance, I watched Villa v WHU today and realised just how much we have improved.

I'm quite surprised with some of the marks for Holtby. Thought he had a big impact in the previous two games but yesterday didn't think he quite got into the flow of it.

Lloris - 7 - not at fault for the goal - such a good keeper - hope he's happy here (he doesn't look it!!)
Naughton - 6.5 - AVB took a bit of a gamble with this decision - if we'd lost due to a Naughton error the decision to bench Benny would have come back to bite. KN is an accomplished deputy in my view, be it for Walker or Benny.
Dawson - 7.5 - best of the back four - couple of great tackles - to have him as (apparently) our fourth choice CB is incredible - hope AVB has seen enough to ensure he Verts, Caulker and Kaboul make up our CB quartet next season. Bye Gallas
Caulker - 7 - some good tackles, gets his head in and happy to have use the ball
Walker - 6.5 - better than he has been, not as good as he has been
Parker - 7 - worked hard - marmite player - I appreciate his work rate but find myself screaming for him to be more......Sandro!
Dembele - 6 - still seems a bit out of sorts - hope AVB rests him for one of the Europa games - we're going to need some presence for Hammers match
Holtby - 6.5 - bit 'in and out' for me - i think he'd have had more luck playing behind a proper (no offence to Dempsey) striker
Lennon - 7.5 - used the ball well and made some great runs - can feel a bit aggrieved Bale went for glory when he was unmarked
Bale - 8.5 - MOTM - shame he didn't convert that chance for his hatrick, but an awesome display
Dempsey - 6.5 - worked hard

I read the ratings before I watched the download of the match and as a result I paid particular attention to Scott Parker's contribution.

So, apologies in advance if my rating kicks off a well-worn argument all over again.

Also, a quick word about Saudi Sportswashing Machine. I thought they defended really well in every area of the pitch and also were quite canny in trying to exploit the inexperience of Caulker and Naughton. They are obviously a better team than their league position indicates.

Lloris 7 - short of coming up for corners and scoring with a header, what more could he have done?

Walker 6 - good pass to Dempsey that led to the foul that led to the goal. Towards the end we saw some of the rampaging overlapping which is his forte (how did he almost get on the end of that Lennon pass?), but his defending still leaves a lot to be desired.

Naughton 5 - great crossfield ball to the Road-runner and some nice little feeds to Bale, but weak positionally in defence.

Caulker 5 - also weak positionally in defence at times. Great breakaway run in the first half when Parker (hang on, let's cut and paste here ...) • Played the ball in front of a running player and laid the ball off first time when we were on a break - would like to see him do more of that.

Dawson 6 - a few unnecessarily hasty clearances in the first half, but some real resolute defending near the end of the match.

Road-runner 7 - some of his best work wasted by our inability to get enough players forward. Worked hard, as usual.

Dembele 5 - well, he did not hide, I suppose. He did slow the game down. He did too many pirouettes. He got caught in possession in dangerous places. Hardly played a worthwhile pass all game. Had one great dribble in their area but most of his dribbles are done in areas of the pitch that are more likely to hurt us if they fail than hurt the opposition if they succeed.

Parker 8 - Pressured the opposition relentlessly. Always available to take a pass. Took up some excellent positions outside of our box, which meant he was usually in a position to intercept. Did a lot more forward passes than you might expect, including two of the best penetrative passes of the game, where he looked up to see what's happening around him before he received the ball, passed to someone outside of the 30 degree cone of vision in front of him (wthout pirouetting first), did something the opposition couldn't easily predict and considered the pass after the one he's making (because, as we all know, a completed pass isn't any good if the person you pass to has no space and loses the ball.

Some passes were overambitious, especially towards the end of the game when he misread Lennon's intentions, but some of his earlier misplaced slotted passes were very close to splitting the defence, except the intended receiver usually had his weight on the wrong foot.

I will now don my pith helmet.

Bale 9 - so much better when we are counter-attacking but his shooting means he is also a threat against paced defences.

Holtby 6 - if he wants to be Peter Beardsley then he needs to get forward a bit more to support the striker. Finds space well. I wish he would get rid of that stupid chav haircut though.

Dempsey 6 - lots of industry and determination, and some flashes of skill (that spin and shot in the second half, for instance and the Brookingesque move that drew the foul that led to the goal). Not sure why he got a bit of stick from some quarters for this performance.

Subs

Adebyourleave 5 - as Jimmy Greaves once said, he traps the ball further than I can kick it. Can be a handful on his day but this was not his day.

Crabman 6 - nearly cost us the game with an unfortunate rebound but otherwise gave us some much needed balance and composure.

Cross country man 6 - Enfield Grammar's star long distance runner was not on for long, but did not do much wrong, and got forward to get in a decent shot.

Back