• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sandro - Beast

Re: Sandro - Legend

i am surprised so many see Holtby as a replacement for Sandro.
As I understand things, Holtby plays in a far more advanced, attacking role than Sandro.
I've see little to suggest he is a ball-winning defensive type of player. Tell me I'm wrong.

I don't think that's the idea, it's more about having another CM. Otherwise we might see a Livermore - Hudd pairing. :frown:

As I understand things, Holtby plays in a far more advanced, attacking role than Sandro.
I've see little to suggest he is a ball-winning defensive type of player. Tell me I'm wrong.

I think it's more so that we have midfield cover, just not exactly like for like midfield cover.

It would be silly going out and buying another ball winning type, because as soon as Sandro is fit again, that player would then likely be third choice.

Plus the fact that Holtby is already a 'spurs player to be', so it's not like it would be buying someone completely out of the blue.

I think it's to just add more numbers and a bit of creativity to midfield. It means we can allow Dembele to have a rest. Also if Parker needs a rest I am sure we could probably play Dembele deeper and have Holtby next to him who I understand has superb work rate.

SANDRO is set to miss the rest of the season with a knee injury.

The Brazilian midfielder has already had surgery, dealing Tottenham’s Champions League dreams a huge blow.

Last night he tweeted: “Sorry guys but this one really got me, the beast is hurt... ”

Sandro twisted his right knee in Saturday’s 0-0 draw at QPR but boss Andre Villas-Boas initially said he would be fit to face Manchester United this Sunday.

However, scans and follow-up treatment have shown the problem to be much worse than first believed. Spurs have since cancelled Jake Livermore’s loan move to QPR.

A club insider said: “It’s a big blow because Sandro is a class player. The problem is pretty bad.”

Sandro played just 25 minutes of Saturday’s game. He had an exploratory op on Tuesday to try to uncover the full extent of the damage.

Medics at White Hart Lane are now fearing the worst.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4748120/Sandro-is-set-to-miss-the-rest-of-the-season-with-a-knee-injury.html

This sound any more believable?

No. Because it's the sun.

2+2=5.

They know nothing more than us, or they would have mentioned it.

Daily Mail says:

The Brazilian midfielder was injured during Saturday’s goalless draw at Queens Park Rangers, hobbling off in pain after landing awkwardly and twisting his right knee.

After scans on the joint, he had an operation in Barcelona. The club did not comment on the nature or seriousness of the injury but they are understood to be concerned it is long term and fear that Sandro could miss the rest of the season.

I think it's more so that we have midfield cover, just not exactly like for like midfield cover.

It would be silly going out and buying another ball winning type, because as soon as Sandro is fit again, that player would then likely be third choice.

Plus the fact that Holtby is already a 'spurs player to be', so it's not like it would be buying someone completely out of the blue.

I agree. Dembele is very useful defensively, I wonder if a central two of Dembele and Holtby with Sig or Dempsey ahead of them could work.

I agree. Dembele is very useful defensively, I wonder if a central two of Dembele and Holtby with Sig or Dempsey ahead of them could work.

I just think a central pairing of Dembele and Holtby (in place of Sandro) in a 4-2-3-1 leaves us exposed. When Holtby comes in, he is (I would imagine) going to play between Bale and Lennon in the central three.
I might be wrong. Holtby might have a more defensive angle to his game.

I just think a central pairing of Dembele and Holtby (in place of Sandro) in a 4-2-3-1 leaves us exposed. When Holtby comes in, he is (I would imagine) going to play between Bale and Lennon in the central three.
I might be wrong. Holtby might have a more defensive angle to his game.

I haven't seen Holtby much myself, but what has been said about him is that he's a hard working player and not afraid of a tackle. He has played in a deeper role for Schalke at times.

If we do play a 4-2-3-1, or a 4-3-3 (either way, a central trio of sorts) you don't always need a dedicated out and out defensive midfielder. As long as you have 3 players in there that all work hard and get back right side of the ball there shouldn't be a ton of space for opponents to exploit anyway.

I would be hopeful that it would at least be an option for us that could work.

Haven't we got a guy called Scott something that can just drop in? Sure he and Dembele could play as the deep midfielders.

Haven't we got a guy called Scott something that can just drop in? Sure he and Dembele could play as the deep midfielders.

Obviously.

The entire point is that if Sandro is seriously injured then our options for those two positions for the rest of the season would be Huddlestone and Livermore, (and arguably Sig/Dempsey and Carroll).

Competing on multiple fronts and in a tight fight for a top 4 finish that does seem a bit thin, don't you agree?

I felt that Dembele was slightly limping for most of the QPR match, hence Mbia monstering him.

He's been limping for weeks - I'm concerned his hip problem is not getting better and we could be without both Dembele and Sandro

This will probably occur on February 2nd so we need to consider options IMO.

I'm far from being an expert on Holtby, but apparentely he has played deeper before to good effect. I think people may be worried about the numbers of "able" CM's we've got rather than looking at like for like replacements. It only needs another injury to Dembele and we're down to a CM of Parker and Hudd (quite good actually but it's not Sandro / Dembele), then beyond that your looking at Livermore and Carroll a significant step down in quality (which is to be expected considering how far down the pecking order they are).

Just think people are looking at the 1.6m price tag and thinking, actually it's a small price to pay considering what we could lose out on.

I'm far from being an expert on Holtby, but apparentely he has played deeper before to good effect. I think people may be worried about the numbers of "able" CM's we've got rather than looking at like for like replacements. It only needs another injury to Dembele and we're down to a CM of Parker and Hudd (quite good actually but it's not Sandro / Dembele), then beyond that your looking at Livermore and Carroll a significant step down in quality (which is to be expected considering how far down the pecking order they are).

Just think people are looking at the 1.6m price tag and thinking, actually it's a small price to pay considering what we could lose out on.

this may sound ludicrous but wasnt dempsey originally a central midfielder, albeit an attacking one but a central midfielder none the less, and dont forget the mercurial talents of Jermain Jenas

The club is handling this very poorly, they should let the fans know what the nature of the injury is. If it's an ACL, let us know, we'll accept he's out for the season and move on. If it's a meniscus injury, then there's a chance he'll be back in a couple of months.

Sandro's knee, Dembele's hip, Parker's achilles, Thudd's ankle......i think we defo need to strengthen central midfield this window

The club is handling this very poorly, they should let the fans know what the nature of the injury is. If it's an ACL, let us know, we'll accept he's out for the season and move on. If it's a meniscus injury, then there's a chance he'll be back in a couple of months.

Are you serious? What obligation does the club have to disclose this to the fans so that you can move on? What about discretion? What about not tipping off upcoming opponents? What about not losing leverage in the transfer market?

Here's hoping Sandro can recover 100%, he's a great asset to our club.

Incidentally, I agree that Sandro is more consistent than Bale, but I still think Bale is a better player and more important to us. Though as I say if the refs are out to ruin him, then it may be for us he won't be as important as Sandro. He'll still be a better player though, he'll just need to go to Spain or Man Utd to show it.

Re Holtby, presumably he'd add variety to the team, with Parker and Dembele being the 'first choice'.

But it's a squad game and I hope we get Holtby in. There'll be times when we want to play three and drop a winger or striker as well.

If there's room in the squad I'd love to see Holtby, Obika and Pritchard added to it.

Seems we can lose JJ Carlo and Bentley. Pritchard might not 'use up' a place?

I still want us to get a striker in, but if that's not happening, would love to see Obika get a chance.

Last edited:
Back