• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

San Antonio Spurs Buy Local Soccer Team

Sandman

Dean Austin
Saw this in the news yesterday. They have bought a local Team with the view of getting them into the MLS via expansion. The team are currently called the Scorpions and are based in the USL league. A well trodden path to teams going into the MLS.

The reason I have put this up. Is that they are going to rebrand them. They have yet to decide that. But a US soccer side called the Spurs could be bad for us, could impact on our ability to grow our brand in the states with a name clash like that.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...ase-toyota-field-furthers-quest-land-mls-team

Their current colours are a kind of Grey, Red and black. The Spurs play in Black and Silver.

I'm sure that we would challenge any attempt to brand a soccer team in a major league "Spurs"

I also think MLS would not want that kind of publicity (they are using the PL and its clubs to help their legitimacy push)

I suppose it also would not make sense to have two teams called the San Antonio Spurs even if they are different sports.

I suppose it also would not make sense to have two teams called the San Antonio Spurs even if they are different sports.

there is no way their "soccer " team will be called the spurs as well, american franchises in specific areas give their teams different names to avoid confusion

From a quick search at the USPTO, it seems that our branding efforts in the States will revolve around "Tottenham Hotspur" rather than "Spurs". Having said that, the club has trade marks registered for "COYS", "To dare is to do", "Audere est facere", "THFC" and the "60s style" and current club badges as well as "Tottenham Hotspur". Nothing for "Spurs" though - too many other trade marks I suppose (not least of which from the basketball club). Also is in line with the switch of the official site from "spurs.co.uk" to "tottenhamhotspur.com".

Back