• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

I wonder who that better player was? I cannot think of any better players available (or at least available for a price that we would pay?) It was clear that we wanted Martial earlier this Summer (a player that Berahino has a superior scoring record to at international youth level by the way) but Martial signed a new deal at Monaco early in the summer.

Valid point, and that is the judgment. Equally at the beginning of the summer WBA could have told us to f off and not made it public, but with Rondon signed they are now more amenable to selling. There are just so many unknowns, that it is too simplistic I think to say we should have just got him in as @billyiddo has said above.

we get 5mill for fazio pay 25 mill for Berihino.If WBA want 30 mill for him can't see it working.One thing i think though is he won't sign a new contract so WBA have a decision to make.

we get 5mill for fazio pay 25 mill for Berihino.If WBA want 30 mill for him can't see it working.One thing i think though is he won't sign a new contract so WBA have a decision to make.
This looks to be pretty true. But his contract runs for another couple of years. If he becomes the player he's starting to look like and has a great year at West Brom, there will certainly be a bidding war next summer; and I suspect bigger clubs than us will be involved. So they may see it as a risk worth taking. Even if he has only a year left on his contract; if Chelsea, City and Arsenal (for example) want him next summer then he'll still fetch more than £25m.

So I suspect West Brom don't need to sell this summer, but I also suspect they have made preparations to do just that (and that we will eventually negotiate a compromise fee - possibly involving a cut-price deal for Fazio).

For those saying that the transfer window should close before the start of the season, consider the following:

1. Different leagues start at different times. You'd be penalizing everyone else for the earlier start of the PL (and some leagues start even earlier than that).
  2. A player gets injured in the third game of the season. You have to wait until January to get a replacement.
  3. CL and EL qualifiers take place in August. You miss out on players whose teams don't qualify and who are suddenly available to move.
  4. Other reasons that I can't bother to elaborate on. :)
So maybe the window closing earlier will force deals to be made earlier, but it seems this is something that we're wishing for because we want our chairman to act faster, rather than because it makes sense.

Hmmm now Martial is mentioned, how would people compare Martial and Berahino's attributes actually?
Martial has better ball control, just better skills overall with the ball. Maybe a bit quicker also, but that's hardly possible to compare as Martial hasnt played in the PL.
Martial is good protecting the ball to his feets, can go both ways. I'm not saying Berahino isnt good with the ball, but one on one, I would go for Martial.
He is also taller than Berahino, but not a very good header, not at threat in the air from what I've seen.
In front of the goal I would say Berahino is better. AND, he has proven - in a not so good side - that he can do it in the PL.
My feeling is that Martial would cope, but no guarantees about that.
Both are versatile, could play in any front three positions. Martial started up front alone away to Valencia last night, and was going a lot out left after a while.
Berahino played central, left and right against City. I didnt watch their game against Watford, so couldnt tell what he did there.

For those saying that the transfer window should close before the start of the season, consider the following:

1. Different leagues start at different times. You'd be penalizing everyone else for the earlier start of the PL (and some leagues start even earlier than that).
  2. A player gets injured in the third game of the season. You have to wait until January to get a replacement.
  3. CL and EL qualifiers take place in August. You miss out on players whose teams don't qualify and who are suddenly available to move.
So maybe the window closing earlier will force deals to be made earlier, but it seems this is something that we're wishing for because we want our chairman to act faster, rather than because it makes sense.

Fair points as ever.

My preference would be for the window to stop as in my mind it will just allow the squad to get on and concentrate on performing for their team. But I do take the point that it would mean that perhaps we couldn't get players that we wanted but given our league spends the most anyway, it would certainly make those players that want to play in the PL to act quickly.

There is plenty of time to get players in before the season starts but for various reasons we never seem to be able to complete the job.That said there is always the chance of a last minute surprise.

Fair points as ever.

My preference would be for the window to stop as in my mind it will just allow the squad to get on and concentrate on performing for their team. But I do take the point that it would mean that perhaps we couldn't get players that we wanted but given our league spends the most anyway, it would certainly make those players that want to play in the PL to act quickly.
IMO these players will likely not act, unless a higher price and wages are offered. This could result in inflated prices and wages, since an earlier window will make it even more of a sellers' market.

fair points but almost to the point of going back to having no window. Players can get injured anytime, some leagues (Scotland) may move to a summer calendar (indeed SA & Africa are already out of sync), international competitions (ANC esp. interfere with January reasons.

Abolish the window!!

IMO these players will likely not act, unless a higher price and wages are offered. This could result in inflated prices and wages, since an earlier window will make it even more of a sellers' market.

Yes. I'm not that worried about that though. I'd just like there to be clarity at the start of the season as to who you have in your team/squad, knowing that the opposition would have to wait till January before being able to unsettle your players with a bid. It means that we, as supporters, are not worried going into the season as to who we are going to sign and who we are going to lose. It probably affects the smaller clubs more, as WBA are probably finding now and Southampton.

As for having no window @Lost Mango , no way!! Kane would have been subject to a £40m bid before facing Chelsea and Man United! That would only work in the bigger clubs' favour, imho.

There is plenty of time to get players in before the season starts but for various reasons we never seem to be able to complete the job.That said there is always the chance of a last minute surprise.

A big reason I think is that we're often chasing players who, rightly or wrongly, think they have a shot of moving to a CL club. That means that they're not in a desperarate rush to sign for us and also the selling club will hold out for longer to see whether a (usually richer) CL club throws their hat into the ring. It puts us in a very difficult position

As for having no window @Lost Mango , no way!! Kane would have been subject to a £40m bid before facing Chel53a and Man United! That would only work in the bigger clubs' favour, imho.

I'm not really advocating an abolishment!

in fact I'd quite like it tightened, esp. the January one and that players can be 'cup-tied' in the league so that they can only play one fixture once (e.g. if you have played away at Old Trafford before January in the league you can't play there again if your new club has a later fixture). Not that January is that busy but it would reduce some mid-season transfer pressure. Also like to see the rules tightened up with regards European competition and eligibility as well personally.

Maybe your window should shut when your league starts. You can't buy OR SELL players after 24 hrs before the first match of the season. if Spanish or German clubs want English club players they would have to do their business before Aug 8th or whenever even if their season doesn't start for 2 weeks later.

in fact I'd quite like it tightened, esp. the January one and that players can be 'cup-tied' in the league so that they can only play one fixture once (e.g. if you have played away at Old Trafford before January in the league you can't play there again if your new club has a later fixture). Not that January is that busy but it would reduce some mid-season transfer pressure. Also like to see the rules tightened up with regards European competition and eligibility as well personally.

Maybe your window should shut when your league starts. You can't buy OR SELL players after 24 hrs before the first match of the season. if Spanish or German clubs want English club players they would have to do their business before Aug 8th or whenever even if their season doesn't start for 2 weeks later.

What about a simple, you can only represent one club in a competition each season?

I think this is bang on.

@milo 's suggestion is a good one, but you will probably then get half of the players refusing to play in the first couple of weeks of the season!

I think the major leagues should bring their season more in line with each other and then the transfer window closes before the season starts by a week or two.

Back