• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

If he's to replace Dembele then he needs to have a bit more about him. He needs to read a match, control the pace, move the play in the best direction. It's not always about hitting the killer through ball the moment you receive it.

I wonder is Barkley would be happy to spend a season on the bench if he came here. Even if he does fix the issues in his game, I think the gap between him and Dembele will be marginal and he'll always be behind Alli and Eriksen. If he waits and learns he could be the longer term replacement for Dembele but I think he's got a couple of years left in him yet.
I think it would be a gradual thing.... He would offer cover/competition to Dembele at first and learn from Poch (and Dembele himself in training). Being Dembele's first choice cover would mean a decent number of games anyway as I don't expect Dembele to play more than 30 to 35 games in a season. He also often only plays for around 65 minutes so that would also give Barkley a good chance to integrate into the team. I know that some are concerned that this would inhibit Winks' development, but I see Winks instead being the back-up for Eriksen. As others have alluded to however I think Pochettino likes players who can cover different positions and roles in the team. Many of his signings have had this sort of adaptability and I see both Winks and Barkley as having attributes to play in a few different positions.

I've seen lots of people say he's a dembele replacement/cover and will play CM. I haven't seen a massive amount of Barkley, but I've never seen him play anything other than AM? Am I missing something here, he in no way looks like a CM in our system, for me anyway.

Based on raw attributes, he looks like he could be. Both are a bit over 6 foot, strong on the ball, good close control, hard to dispossess and both like to take a man on. To me, one big difference is that Barkley has always seemed to me to try to want to play the glory-ball, whereas Dembele is more about short-passing and knitting things together. I dont see why Barkley cant ultimately replace Dembele....and persaonlly I'm not expecting Dembele to last more than a couple years

Based on raw attributes, he looks like he could be. Both are a bit over 6 foot, strong on the ball, good close control, hard to dispossess and both like to take a man on. To me, one big difference is that Barkley has always seemed to me to try to want to play the glory-ball, whereas Dembele is more about short-passing and knitting things together. I dont see why Barkley cant ultimately replace Dembele....and persaonlly I'm not expecting Dembele to last more than a couple years

I think there's more to the role that dembele plays for us personally, he's defensive abilities like tackling, strength, blocking, positioning and interceptions are outstanding and not so easily replaced by someone who likes a dribble as well.

I'd love for you guys to be right though.

Thats fair enough, and only time will tell.

The only rebuttal Id offer is the comment further up (apologies, forget the author. [EDIT: @the dza , credit where its due!]) that points out - where was Demeble at 23? Were there any signs he would grow into this player?

In some ways he was similar to Barkley, played in attack but never especially productive, clear ability but lacking focus/a defined role, over played a lot, held the ball to much, didnt do the simple things...

That is true!

Perhaps this is part of the attraction to Barkley - he can be moulded in different ways.

He's certainly got something.

I've seen lots of people say he's a dembele replacement/cover and will play CM. I haven't seen a massive amount of Barkley, but I've never seen him play anything other than AM? Am I missing something here, he in no way looks like a CM in our system, for me anyway.

None of us know for sure what the plan is if we sign him, I think it's just a theory that as he has strength, dribbling and passing ability that maybe he could end up in a deeper role. We've seen it plenty at Spurs, some of our best players were bought as one thing and end up playing their best football in a different position (Rose, Bale, Dier).

None of us know for sure what the plan is if we sign him, I think it's just a theory that as he has strength, dribbling and passing ability that maybe he could end up in a deeper role. We've seen it plenty at Spurs, some of our best players were bought as one thing and end up playing their best football in a different position (Rose, Bale, Dier).

Could be that with time he will move towards a deeper role. Hasn't been where he's excelled at Everton though. And Everton have signed a lot of central midfielders to play the deeper roles instead of using Barkley there. Seems strange to me to think that we sign him and he instantly becomes an option for Dembele.

Both Bale and Rose took time to develop into those different positions. I imagine the same would be true with Barkley. I don't quite get why we wouldn't rather just target someone already playing the deeper role.

Could be that with time he will move towards a deeper role. Hasn't been where he's excelled at Everton though. And Everton have signed a lot of central midfielders to play the deeper roles instead of using Barkley there. Seems strange to me to think that we sign him and he instantly becomes an option for Dembele.

Both Bale and Rose took time to develop into those different positions. I imagine the same would be true with Barkley. I don't quite get why we wouldn't rather just target someone already playing the deeper role.

I guess in the meantime, he still provides a good option to cover/compete with Eriksen and Dele whilst also filling in for Dembele for the games he needs to rest for. It's all speculation anyway, we have to sign the guy first.

I think there's a very good chance the the Barkley saga moves to January unless Chelski start to force hands. This latest injury means he won't be seriously playing again until what, early October? I just don't see us spending money for an injured player we could end up getting even cheaper in the Jan window!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think there's a very good chance the the Barkley saga moves to January unless Chelski start to force hands. This latest injury means he won't be seriously playing again until what, early October? I just don't see us spending money for an injured player we could end up getting even cheaper in the Jan window!

I'm hoping that we're not judging an incoming trasnfer on the basis that he's available in Sept rather than Oct. How many games do we play in Sept?

Do you belive he is properly injured?

Back