• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

So is Barkley's contract with Everton up at the end of this coming season? If so I reckon they are deluded if they think 50m is realistic. I'm inclined to agree with the 25/30m figure with Sissoko thrown in for good measure.

I don't know who that is mate and you'll find that prior to the Walker sale I was pretty much in tune with the rest of you guys on here (apart from calling for players to be fined who underperformed too often!) but I am afraid this transfer of Walker (one of the best rwb in the world) to a direct rival, today in 2017 considering where the club is, has truly shocked me and had a profound impact on how I view the club.

So much I thought was true of our Chairman I now know is not. I'm left drawing parralels between what's gone on and how this Club has truly floundered since 1985.

Isn't that around the time when Keith Burkenshaw said there used to be a football club over there.
You're entirely unwilling to consider that just maybe Pochettino thought selling Walker for £50m was the best choice for the club?

So is Barkley's contract with Everton up at the end of this coming season? If so I reckon they are deluded if they think 50m is realistic. I'm inclined to agree with the 25/30m figure with Sissoko thrown in for good measure.

Barkley will surely sign a new contract, rather than rot for a year and not go to the world cup.

I know he's supposed to be a bit thick, but surely not that thick.

Barkley excites me about as much as Sisokko's arrival did. Barkley is not good enough for our first team. I'm struggling to work out where he fits in to our team. I think at best he would be a bench player.

Barkley will surely sign a new contract, rather than rot for a year and not go to the world cup.

I know he's supposed to be a bit thick, but surely not that thick.
It is a game of poker at the moment... I see your raise of 'Barkley wouldn't be that thick' and re-raise you with an 'Everton wouldn't be that thick to allow a player with under a year left on his contract get to the end of the transfer window without being sold and risk getting nothing at all for him (while still having to pay his wages)'

Barkley excites me about as much as Sisokko's arrival did. Barkley is not good enough for our first team. I'm struggling to work out where he fits in to our team. I think at best he would be a bench player.
Which, I think, is exactly the role that Poch sees for him. There is barely a player out there for which we could afford either the transfer fee or wages who would displace one of our first choice players. The bench is another matter. My thoughts are that Poch sees Barkley as a potential back up at number 10, who has a fair chance of being developed into Dembele's long term replacement.

Dele is suspended for CL group games (all of them isn't it?), so that's a massive void to fill on the big stage where we let ourselves down so massively last season.

I would be very happy to see Barkley ply his trade in those games replacing Alli alongside any combo of Son, Eriksen, Dembele, Dier, Wanyama (depending on whether home, away and the opponent).
It's the perfect opportunity to shine that i'm sure he would relish.

Which, I think, is exactly the role that Poch sees for him. There is barely a player out there for which we could afford either the transfer fee or wages who would displace one of our first choice players. The bench is another matter. My thoughts are that Poch sees Barkley as a potential back up at number 10, who has a fair chance of being developed into Dembele's long term replacement.
If the rumours have any substance then that's a very expensive benchwarmer. Also, he must either massively overestimate his own talent or be happy playing second fiddle, because most people would agree, I think, that he's a good way off the standard of what we already have.

I forgot about Dele's suspension. I think it is only 3 games (only half of the qualifying stage). I would like Barkley here and think he would add competition to the squad. He has all the tools to be a great player, just needs to work on decision making.

If the rumours have any substance then that's a very expensive benchwarmer. Also, he must either massively overestimate his own talent or be happy playing second fiddle, because most people would agree, I think, that he's a good way off the standard of what we already have.

We need expensive benchwarmers if we're going to add depth to our squad. Last season we often had the likes of Sissoko, Onomah and GKN on teh bench who added precisely zero when the came on

We need expensive benchwarmers if we're going to add depth to our squad. Last season we often had the likes of Sissoko, Onomah and GKN on teh bench who added precisely zero when the came on

The problem here is that expensive does not equal quality. Spending a lot of money on a backup player is a bit of a waste, especially when they'll also want massive wages and quite frankly isn't any better than what we have already.

Yeah well noone knows how highly Poch rates Barkley. You all seem to be putting him down as a benchwarmer, but when Dele arrived noone thought he would be first team material so who knows maybe he is seen as a first teamer - its not like he doesnt have the ability to be....

Poch also thought it was a good idea to sign Sissoko.

Dele was an unknown, but the price was reasonable and he was young. Barkley isn't unknown though and the fees being mentioned are way too high. There's nothing exceptional about him. He reminds me a bit of Darron Gibson, someone who'd score the occasional screamer, but too wasteful overall.

Poch also thought it was a good idea to sign Sissoko.

Dele was an unknown, but the price was reasonable and he was young. Barkley isn't unknown though and the fees being mentioned are way too high. There's nothing exceptional about him. He reminds me a bit of Darron Gibson, someone who'd score the occasional screamer, but too wasteful overall.
Dele wasnt an unknown at all, it wasnt like we was the only PL side in for him. 25-30m isnt way too high for Barkley in this climate due to talent and age, even in the last year of his contract he would end up going for that via tribunal anyway....

Yeah well noone knows how highly Poch rates Barkley. You all seem to be putting him down as a benchwarmer, but when Dele arrived noone thought he would be first team material so who knows maybe he is seen as a first teamer - its not like he doesnt have the ability to be....
An argument from authority is rarely convincing. Even less so when that authority requested the purchase of Sissoko only12 months ago.

I agree that out bench needs improving.

I don't believe throwing money at it is the best way to improve it, and neither do I think filling it with established English players is the way to keep everyone happy - not unless they're able to challenge for a starting space

Dele wasnt an unknown at all, it wasnt like we was the only PL side in for him. 25-30m isnt way too high for Barkley in this climate due to talent and age, even in the last year of his contract he would end up going for that via tribunal anyway....

He was unknown in that he hadn't played in the PL. Many struggle to make those steps up, never mind doing it instantly.

I'm shocked that we're interested in Barkley at all, even before you get to the money side of things. He's not nearly good enough.

An argument from authority is rarely convincing. Even less so when that authority requested the purchase of Sissoko only12 months ago.
One apparent bad buy doesnt suggest we shouldnt trust Poch in who he wants to recruit. Also dont believe in this 'bench warming' tag, there is no such position at our club. We're play so many games and due to physical style of our play we get injuries so anyone not automatically in our first choice XI is still going to get a lot of games,and if prove themselves will become a first XI player.....

He was unknown in that he hadn't played in the PL. Many struggle to make those steps up, never mind doing it instantly.

I'm shocked that we're interested in Barkley at all, even before you get to the money side of things. He's not nearly good enough.
Most chances created by an Englishman in PL, was in top 5 overall. Could do with improving goal output but thats something that can be worked on....

Most chances created by an Englishman in PL, was in top 5 overall. Could do with improving goal output but thats something that can be worked on....

Unless we're in a desperate need of one of those, we'd do well to steer clear. Whatever talent he has, he will never make the most of it.

Back