• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Soldado - Official! - Medical Completed!!

Thing is without the Penalties he has so far brought nothing more to the team than Ade and Defoe apart from in Europe.

Couldn't disagree more. He's looked a lot better off the ball than either Defoe or Adebayor did last year. His movement is better and he's getting in exactly the right positions - unlike either of our other two strikers last year.

As well as that... you say "without the penalties" as if that's a minor thing. It's thanks to those two penalties that we have six points out of six. And frankly I wouldn't have put money on either Defoe or Ade scoring both. From what I've seen, he's already been an improvement (especially considering his performance against - admittedly weak - Europa League opposition) and I suspect he's still just finding his feet.

Thing is without the Penalties he has so far brought nothing more to the team than Ade and Defoe apart from in Europe.

I can understand why you say that but like others have mentioned - the guy needs creativity and as much as Paulinho tried to help out, the distant at times between him and the midfield was too far at times, and thats because I think the midfield may have been the incorrect trio, lacking and devoid of creativity.

Soldados movement was very good today and worked effortlessly and just needs someone to play up behind him.

At least he gets into dangerous positions, his movement is 10 times better than Ade or Defoe. Give him service and he will score 20+ league goals. Put him in the team from two seasons ago and he probably would have got 30 league goals!

Such is life for the goalscoring out and out striker, at least as long as goals is the only yardstick being used. Talking about their contribution (goals) over a sample as small as just two games is close to meaningless. The inherent variance in goals scored is too big, there will be streaks.

He's superior in quality to both of them, I'm confident that will show itself over the season.

With an actual playmaker behind him he will score bag loads, I'm just pleased that with the pens he's able to get the confidence up whist the service is a tad dry...

I can understand why you say that but like others have mentioned - the guy needs creativity and as much as Paulinho tried to help out, the distant at times between him and the midfield was too far at times, and thats because I think the midfield may have been the incorrect trio, lacking and devoid of creativity.

Soldados movement was very good today and worked effortlessly and just needs someone to play up behind him.

I think Soldado had a decent home debut. As DHSF says there was a big gap between him and the midfield and he wasnt getting any support so didnt get to see his full range of qualities. This is the key area of the team that's not clicking at the moment. When Soldado played with Mata at Valencia they were awesome.

Dembele was meant to be the link man today but most of the time played too deep. I think if we get Lemela he will become that 'number 10' link between the midfield and Soldado. I think Holtby could play that role aswell if we dont get the Lemala signing over the line. You just know he knows what he's doing with pens, Defoe and Ade dont have a clue.

Roberto Soldado and kids on the White Hart Lane pitch...

A5010_zpsdd1a8cc3.jpg

That was a nice moment, he walked all the way over to the corner and grabbed his daughter who also had a no 9 Soldado shirt on then walked back with her to the tunnel then another kid ran on when he was halfway there. Presume another relative.

All made sense as he went mental in that corner after he scored.

Twitter / OptaJoe: 2 - Tottenham have scored penalties in consecutive PL games for the first time since November 2006 (Keane & Defoe). Rare.

Twitter / OptaJoe: 12 - Roberto Soldado has now scored 12 goals in his last 10 league appearances (La Liga & Premier League). Update.

That was a nice moment, he walked all the way over to the corner and grabbed his daughter who also had a no 9 Soldado shirt on then walked back with her to the tunnel then another kid ran on when he was halfway there. Presume another relative.

All made sense as he went mental in that corner after he scored.

The other kid was the stealth signing of Halilovic!

zlatan-halilovic.jpg

i disagree... he's been a constant menace in with his positioning and pressing up front. all part of the grand scheme that stopped swansea playing their normal passing football. defoe was static and you only had a man on him. soldado had two on him with his constant movement between them both. that's how paulinho found that space again and again because soldad was occupying both CBs. he'a nightmare to mark from a CB's point of view!

every time we had a long range shot he was anticipating any potential spill from the keeper - haven't noticed that from our forwards in a long time.

The style that the team attempts to play has changed, and this is down to Soldado. You can rely on him being in the box when we attack, unlike Defoe and Ade who always dropped out to be involved in the build up. This is part of the reason a lot of our goals last season came from outside the box.

I can understand why you say he hasn't brought anything in terms of stats no doubt that would be provable, but the overall effect is there to see

Roberto Soldado says Tottenham Hotspur’s derby clash against Arsenal is one of the “most beautiful games” in the club’s fixture schedule.

The Spain international has already scored four goals in three games for Spurs following his club-record £26m move to White Hart Lane from Valencia this summer.

And the 28-year-old forward is relishing the chance to continue his excellent goal-scoring form in his first north London derby at Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

“Yes, my team-mates have told me what the derby means,” said Soldado.

“Tottenham against Arsenal is one of the most beautiful games for the club and everyone who has come in from outside will want to play in it.

“It’s the game with the biggest rivalry for Tottenham and I cannot wait to play in this environment and I hope we can get the three points.

“It’s always important to score goals and I hope to keep on doing this for the team.

“The welcome I have got since my presentation here in the friendly against Espanyol has been great. To hear the fans singing your name is special and I hope it happens a lot more throughout the season.”

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2013/08/tottenham-roberto-soldado-most-beautiful-game-arsenal/

Roberto Soldado says Tottenham Hotspur’s derby clash against Arsenal is one of the “most beautiful games” in the club’s fixture schedule.

The Spain international has already scored four goals in three games for Spurs following his club-record £26m move to White Hart Lane from Valencia this summer.

And the 28-year-old forward is relishing the chance to continue his excellent goal-scoring form in his first north London derby at Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

“Yes, my team-mates have told me what the derby means,” said Soldado.

“Tottenham against Arsenal is one of the most beautiful games for the club and everyone who has come in from outside will want to play in it.

“It’s the game with the biggest rivalry for Tottenham and I cannot wait to play in this environment and I hope we can get the three points.

“It’s always important to score goals and I hope to keep on doing this for the team.

“The welcome I have got since my presentation here in the friendly against Espanyol has been great. To hear the fans singing your name is special and I hope it happens a lot more throughout the season.”

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2013/08/tottenham-roberto-soldado-most-beautiful-game-arsenal/

I think this is really surprising and nice for players who come from other leagues, like Spain or France where players rarely get their own chants etc. I guess anybody would love 36,000 people singing their name, at least until you get used to it

Can anyone who's seen Soldado live or knows him from Spain comment on his pace? It's the one thing I'm slightly worried about with him, even allowing that his excellent positioning probably buys him a half yard. I also think he's a bit behind at the moment not having had a full pre-season.

It would be foolhardy to move Ade on without getting an adequate replacement. As good as Roberto is neither he or Defoe gve as a physical presence upfront. I noticed yesterday a number of balls were played up in the air and Roberto was getting out jumped time and time again. It is like our players are brain dead and do not realise we need to play the ball on the deck when we do not have a natural target man

Back