• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

RIP Peter Baker

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Peter Baker, a member of Tottenham’s 1961 double-winning side, has died at the age of 84 following illness, the Barclays Premier League club announced on Wednesday.

Right-back Baker was born in Hampstead, north London and joined Spurs in June 1949 and went on to make 342 appearances.

Baker was an integral part of Bill Nicholson’s 1961 squad, which became the first team since Aston Villa in 1896-97 to win both the league title and FA Cup in the same season.

After helping Spurs retain the FA Cup the following season and then win the 1963 European Cup Winners’ Cup, Baker left White Hart Lane in the summer of 1965 when he emigrated to Durban in South Africa.

CZufPdaWEAAP0TH.jpg

CZuYBaMWIAANqro.jpg

I'm too young to have ever seen him live but I knew his name and my dad had spoken of him.

A sad loss to the club.

Sad news. I remember him well, as a kid he didn't impress me, probably because my favourite non Spurs player was Jimmy Armfield. Danny Blanchflower rated him highly as he considered he did a lot of his defensive covering.

Peter Baker was one of the assignments I got for my contribution to the centenary book. It was a pleasure to research, and learn, about his importance to that side. RIP Mr Baker, a no-fuss performer of class and distinction in the side that laid down the marker for British football.

RIP. Don't know a great deal about him but my granmother mentioned his name a few times and if he was a part of that side I'm guessing he can be thought of as a Spurs legend.

Everyone in the SuperSpurs Double Team was prEcious to me. No resting players ..no substitutes to win games...no foreign players...all BRitish!
Peter Baker was one of those players who did not stand out much but slotted in nicely alongside Mackay Norman Blanchflower and Ron Henry at left back. Behind that line up we had a Sottish goalkeeper ...but still won the Double..Bill Brown.
It's sad , I've seen so many of that team passing on over recent years..
You can,t take away what they acheived..They were the best club side in British History.
RIP ..Peter Baker..................

Back