• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Utd

He did, very unfortunate with O.G.

Trippier will likely still offer more with crosses, argument could have bern made that Trippier could have been used today instead of Lamela sub.
I still have a feeling Trippier will eventually oust Walker, I think he's very impressive...

It's the same story as the Chel53a away game last season when everyone eulogized how good we were after going two goals down... despite not having a decent shot on target.

United didn't have a shot on target either.

The whole game was played at 80% because of the heat and exhausting pre-season committments

Because we were away from home against historically the best side in England, outside of 1 mistake and 10 minutes were extremely comfortable.

That's exactly it! Our perpetual deference to the big clubs. Well we played this historically best side in Europe away (incidentally under two of the managers who have been ridiculed)... and won. THAT was an occasion for 7s and 8s - not today

They had the first shot on goal at 65 minutes,

Precisely! They were THAT poor. And we did not take advantage

We did create opportunities, not a lot, but arguably enough to win.

Exactly! We created one real opportunity since the rest were pretty much routine saves... and Eriksen f*****d it

I guess we have different perspectives. This was a game that was there for the taking yet we were afraid to get out of our shell...

Last edited:
From the Star...

said:
Tottenham need to start taking risks

Spurs play some beautiful stuff at times as they pass the ball around in midfield but they lack something in the final third.

Too many of their players take the easy option which often fails to prise open a defence.

They had United chasing down balls here, but did not penetrate a flaky defence enough.

Taking the easy option does not deserve a 7 or 8 score; more than a 5!

vorm - 6 - didnt have anything to do.

walker - 7 - his best game for a while, unlucky with the own goal.
alderweireld - 7 - great debut, looked solid and lovely skills at the end.
vertonghen - 6 - okay.
davies - 5 - meh.

dembele - 5 - started well but then became ineffective and quiet.
dier - 6 - thought he looked good, someone who can come in and do a job but not someone id want playing DM all season. was doing the job of two cms in the first half.
bentaleb - 4 - probably his worst game in a spurs shirt, as far as i can remember. constantly giving the ball away. almost as if he's got his contract with a lot more money.
eriksen - 6 - should have scored.
chadli - 4 - forgot he played.

kane - 5

id give the keeper and back four 7/10, they were all pretty solid. Vorm didn't have a lot to do.

I'd give Dier a 6.5, he was decent and could grow into that role imo.

Bentaleb a 5 -- he was 6/10 before the mistake and 4/10 after it. So 5 is the average.

Eriksen I'd give a 6. Just didn't quite come off for him, but always a threat when we get it to him in attacking areas.

Chadli a 5. He had a 6 in the first half and a 4 in the 2nd imo.

Dembele 5.5. Not too bad, not that great, but did a decent job.

Kane 6. Was ok, lovely pass for Eriksen.

I didn't see today's game, but I'd agree with The Star that is a general problem of ours. This is why I prefer Lamela playing because he looks to create something and is more forward thinking. Yes it doesn't come off a lot of the time, and hopefully that will improve sooner rather than later but he offers something more different and positive....

Cant be bothered putting ratings however as always we lacked pace in attacking areas and are devoid of creativity. Looking at the 3 posiitons behind Kane, Eriksen and Chadli did well last year from a goalcoring perspective but had far far too many anonymous games or quiet periods in games and were the same. Lamela was his usualy self when he came on - completely ineffective, whilst Dembele as always dwelled on the ball.

We looked neat and tidy in possession today but similar to last year just dont look like being able to cut team open and create clear cut chances. We desperately need a new pacey option for one of those three positions

Cant be bothered putting ratings however as always we lacked pace in attacking areas and are devoid of creativity. Looking at the 3 posiitons behind Kane, Eriksen and Chadli did well last year from a goalcoring perspective but had far far too many anonymous games or quiet periods in games and were the same. Lamela was his usualy self when he came on - completely ineffective, whilst Dembele as always dwelled on the ball.

We looked neat and tidy in possession today but similar to last year just dont look like being able to cut team open and create clear cut chances. We desperately need a new pacey option for one of those three positions
Agreed. I think Poch recognises this though, and judging by the type of players being linked with this will likely be rectified by the end of the window...

That's exactly it! Our perpetual deference to the big clubs. Well we played this historically best side in Europe away (incidentally under two of the managers who have been ridiculed)... and won. THAT was an occasion for 7s and 8s - not today

Precisely! They were THAT poor. And we did not take advantage

Exactly! We created one real opportunity since the rest were pretty much routine saves... and Eriksen f*****d it

I guess we have different perspectives. This was a game that was there for the taking yet we were afraid to get out of our shell...

Can't be bothered to list their team sheet, lets just say they have a better side than us .. And we made them poor/there for taking. One mistake made the difference.

Honestly this and other Spurs boards are full of the same level of delusional statements as RAWK now ...

Again I ask, pre match, what did people expect?

Can't be bothered to list their team sheet, lets just say they have a better side than us .. And we made them poor/there for taking. One mistake made the difference.

Honestly this and other Spurs boards are full of the same level of delusional statements as RAWK now ...

Good post and agree completely.

vorm - 6 - didnt have anything to do.

walker - 7 - his best game for a while, unlucky with the own goal.
alderweireld - 7 - great debut, looked solid and lovely skills at the end.
vertonghen - 6 - okay.
davies - 5 - meh.

dembele - 5 - started well but then became ineffective and quiet.
dier - 6 - thought he looked good, someone who can come in and do a job but not someone id want playing DM all season. was doing the job of two cms in the first half.
bentaleb - 4 - probably his worst game in a spurs shirt, as far as i can remember. constantly giving the ball away. almost as if he's got his contract with a lot more money.
eriksen - 6 - should have scored.
chadli - 4 - forgot he played.

kane - 5

I thought Davies did well. Kept Depay in check, who is a much bigger threat that young. Excellent under pressure in that race with Shaw. Got forward well in the last 20 minutes too.

Vorm 6
Walker 7
Alderweireld 7
Vertonghen 6
Davies 6
Bentalah/Bentolet/Bentola/Bentolé 4
Dier 6
Dembele 6
Eriksen 6
Chadli 5
Kane 5

Mason 5
Lamela 5
Alli 6

8 - Walker (MOTM), Alder
7 - Davies, Verts
6 - Vorm, Bentaleb, Dier, Eriksen, Kane, Mason, Alli
5 - Dembele, Chadli, Lamela
0 - whichever idiot made us play those pointless matches in midweek

I know you love Benaleb and hate Dembele, but those ratings are just crazy on today's performance.

Agree with you on the zero score though.

The Star :ross:

Why do you always have to target the messenger instead of message??

Whether or not it's the Star, the point is perfectly made. We are a bunch of blunt powder puffs in the majority of matches we play in; when we do decide to be incisive and determined, we can blow teams away - like we did with the two scums last season.

If result of every game were to mirror pre-match predictions or else the strength of the two squads, then football would be the most boring sport. What makes it beautiful is that pre-match expectations go out of the window when the whistle blows.

Fact is that United - despite all the supposed superiority on paper - were poor; they were there for the taking and we choked - in typical Tottenham gut less fashion. Our heads just dropped when the own goal went in and were happy to pussyfoot the ball in midfield with no incisiveness, determination or will.

Such as display does not merit ratings of 7 and 8's - which is what started the argument in the first place.

Why do you always have to target the messenger instead of message??

Whether or not it's the Star, the point is perfectly made. We are a bunch of blunt powder puffs in the majority of matches we play in; when we do decide to be incisive and determined, we can blow teams away - like we did with the two scums last season.
When the messenger positions itself halfway between the Mirror and the Sport I'm duty bound to attack it.

Back