• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Utd

It's painful watching Dawson. When strikers aren't walking past him he's hoofing the ball to no one, not that I blame him particularly for today, that was Hugo's fault unfortunately. Sandro and Lennon good, Walker a massively mixed bag and the rest fair to middling.

Let's not mention his vital interventions today, just doesn't suit your agenda, does it.

Not their first goal?

Was always going to happen. It'll take him a good year or two to properly establish himself as a first teamer (even without the very stiff competition from Lennon and Lamela for that right-side spot). I don't think the England fanfare helped him one bit - AVB predicted so when he got his first call-up (citing Caulker and Livermore).

Could not disagree more. He looked shaken by the boos but after a nervy few minutes he was passing the ball well.

He is ready. I was disappointed by Lennon in the second half. He disappeared. One thing you get for sure from Andros is 90 minutes.

Crazy decision to drop him for last week and we perked up considerably when he came on today.

Lloris - 5

Walker - 8
Dawson - 6
Chiriches - 7
Vertonghen - 6

Lennon - 7
Dembele - 7
Sandro - 8
Chadli - 6.5

Paulinho - 7.5
Soldado - 6.5

Did you watch the match? Every touch went to a red shirt. And there was suddenly no movement up there, so our midfield started having to turn backwards or hit-n-hope. It was the minute we lost our threat.

Follow him to the mighty Toronto FC next month if you're such a fanboy

I am not a fanboy but a Spurs fan and one that gets behind the players regardless of if i think they are playing **** or not. I would not go out of my way to declare at every opportunity my dislike for a player. Defoe could score a hat trick and you will find something to criticise its pathetic.

It's painful watching Dawson. When strikers aren't walking past him he's hoofing the ball to no one, not that I blame him particularly for today, that was Hugo's fault unfortunately. Sandro and Lennon good, Walker a massively mixed bag and the rest fair to middling.

Twitter / Squawka: Michael Dawson's pass completion rate was just 57% for Spurs today. Far too many long balls.
BaZ6-y3CEAA6H1e.png

Twitter / Squawka: Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris' pass completion rate today was just 18%. Man Utd counterpart David De Gea managed a respectable 60%.

Walker, Lennon and Sandro the standout players I thought. Very happy to see Walker deliver some good corners and some good crosses today, hopefully he's been working hard on those and is seeing an improvement. A difficult situation for him for the mistake leading to the goal, more unfortunate than anything I thought.

Chiriches perhaps the best of the rest although it could have been a completely different story if Dawson and Sandro hadn't fixed his ****-up early on with a couple of excellent involvements.

Dembele also good, glad to see him back to his best. Perhaps with a point to prove after not being too happy about being dropped? Competition for places is a wonderful thing...

Overall good marks for the rest of the team too in my book. Vertonghen struggled at times, but it's not easy up against Valencia.

Twitter / Squawka: Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris' pass completion rate today was just 18%. Man Utd counterpart David De Gea managed a respectable 60%.

Thanks mate that is interesting. I remember Lloris having very poor completion stats in lots of games, is that down to his kicking or choosing to go long or not having a tall target man? Bit of all maybe.
Also quite often a big striker will win a header but the second ball goes straight to the opposition, so perhaps a lot of De Gea's successful passes amounted to nothing e.g. Daws and Chiri may have let Rooney win them in the knowledge they would mop up the second ball or whatever.

Twitter / Squawka: Michael Dawson's pass completion rate was just 57% for Spurs today. Far too many long balls.
BaZ6-y3CEAA6H1e.png

For Lloris the striking thing about that is how all, but one of his attempted passes go past the halfway line. Most of De Gea's attempted long balls also end up being lost. The problem remains that we're not good enough at quickly giving Lloris shorter passing options. I think the back 4 can do a lot more in these situations, Vlad is the only one who seems to genuinely want the ball.

Lloris hitting long balls up field towards Soldado isn't ever going to result in a high win %. Anyways:

Lloris-5-Wasn't really called into action from what I can remember but was rash for the penalty.

Walker-7-Good goal, not sure if he knew too much about his assist for Rooney's first though. The way he stormed forward and lost the 50/50 in the build up to the pen was partly the reason why they broke so well imo.
Dawson-5-Got roasted by Welbeck a couple of times and worried me. Gave away possession often as doesn't have the calmness with the ball when pressured.
Chiriches -6-Worried me early on when he lost out to Rooney but after that showed a calm head in many situations.
Vertonghen -5- Not a LB as he has stated, got done for pace a couple of times but still some fine tackles in there.

Sandro-7-Beast of a goal and made some good forward passes, but Rooney got a lot of time inbetween the lines.
Dembele-6-Not a bad game but not a good one either.
Paulinho-6-Great pass for Soldado and linked with him well, wish he'd gone back post for Lennons cross but nvm. Defensively i felt he made the wrong decision sometimes, closing down players when they were already being hustled and leaving a man free to recieve a pass and start a UTD move.

Lennon-7-Starting to look a thorn in the side for defenders again. Think he's enjoying this formation more than others when allowed to play on the right.
Soldado-6-Linked up well, loved the flick for Paulinho but shanked his shot. Man needs a goal to calm himself down, but he came deeper a lot today and made things happen.
Chadli-6-Thought in the first half he was giving us something down that left flank but didnt notice him in the second.

Defoe-6-Worked well and showed better off the ball movement than Soldado i felt.
Townsend-5-Not really in the game, couple of overhit crosses is all I can remember.

Thanks mate that is interesting. I remember Lloris having very poor completion stats in lots of games, is that down to his kicking or choosing to go long or not having a tall target man? Bit of all maybe.
Also quite often a big striker will win a header but the second ball goes straight to the opposition, so perhaps a lot of De Gea's successful passes amounted to nothing e.g. Daws and Chiri may have let Rooney win them in the knowledge they would mop up the second ball or whatever.

Chadli' enormous frame is a decent target for those long passes but Smalling and Jones managed to win most of the aerial duels against him. Not sure quite how well we dealt with those knock downs tbh.

For Lloris the striking thing about that is how all, but one of his attempted passes go past the halfway line. Most of De Gea's attempted long balls also end up being lost. The problem remains that we're not good enough at quickly giving Lloris shorter passing options. I think the back 4 can do a lot more in these situations, Vlad is the only one who seems to genuinely want the ball.

De Gea completed 4 of his 10 attempted passes into the opposite half, all of which went into Vertonghen' quarter of the pitch. Lloris only completed 1 of 9 passes into ManU' half, in the 9th minute but Soldado couldn't keep possession.

Agree about the lack of short passing options, de Gea complete 8 of 10 short passes to teammates within 30ish yards of his goal whilst Lloris only attempted 2 passes to teammates within our half and both of those were almost on the halfway line.

I am sure some of you rate players on wheather you like them or not.

I am sure some of you like players based on if you rate them or not.

Or in a slightly different wording, say someone really likes dribbling wingers. Probably they will like and rate Townsend. Someone else might really like no nonsense central defenders. Probably they will like and rate Dawson. Someone like me really likes defenders that will try dummies inside the box and as the last man. I really like and rate Vlad and Ekotto ;)

And if Lloris pass it to the defenders the Dawson statistics gonna get even worse..

I am sure some of you like players based on if you rate them or not.

Or in a slightly different wording, say someone really likes dribbling wingers. Probably they will like and rate Townsend. Someone else might really like no nonsense central defenders. Probably they will like and rate Dawson. Someone like me really likes defenders that will try dummies inside the box and as the last man. I really like and rate Vlad and Ekotto ;)

There is probably a bit of that but sometimes there is just plain bias. Some fans have an irrational dislike for certain players and will focus on their mistakes irrespective of what else they do. The opposite is true also for peoples favourites. You tend to gloss over their flaws and mistakes. It's human nature I guess.

Lloris - 5 one mistake but it led to the goal. (not counting his poor clearance that led to opened the floodgates for Emirates Marketing Project...we need a credible young challenger)
Walker - 6 would have been 8 for the goal and overall defence work, too bad for that silly silly mistake that also led to the goal
Dawson - 7 one of his better games
Chiriches - 7 he learns fast adapts well but needs to cut out the antics otherwise will soon learn about the rath of the spurs faithful
Vert - 6 definitely not a LB, but is so intelligent that he looks comfortable (he is not)
Sandro - 8 beauty of a goal, and did well to buffet and stretch the united defence
Dembele - 7 always seems good against Man U numerous tackles won and tackles evaded. needs to learn to put it out to saftey when running out of options though.
Paulinho - 6 was the free man up front but always looked late in defence and attack... he reminds me of a single-gear (speed) bicycle
Lennon -7 excellent, back to the good old lennon - skipping and turning and adding that much needed zing we lacked without him. showed townsend a thing or two about being effective on the pitch
Chadli - 7 useful outlet and always putting the ball in threatening positions...wished he'd cut in to strike at goal more often
Soldado - 6...same old story, great movement no result. missed a sitter and did not anticipate one or two more. But still better than Defoe

AVB - 7 good spirited team performance let down by two individual mistakes. we should have won that one and AVB knows that.

Back