• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Potential Conundrum

From I what I can remember you always played in the European Cup if you won the league and one of the old UEFA/Cup Winner's Cup

If you win the tournament you qualify for it for the next season. If you qualify for the EL and also the CL you get to play in the... Champions League.

It's not that difficult.

You could argue that the champions shouldn't be automatically qualified for the next tournament, personally I quite like it the way it is and I think winning a tournament should qualify you for the next one, but I see no real strong argument for either side. But to argue that the defending EL champions should be forced to play in the EL despite qualifying for the CL seems like the kind of thing we would laugh at if it was coming from fans of any other club.

I disagree with that theory since it undermines the achievement of wining and defending the trophy - being the very same concept which was used as a doorway for Chelsea and Liverpool, etc. I think it's pointless having it if it would only be enforced selectively

I disagree with that theory since it undermines the achievement of wining and defending the trophy - being the very same concept which was used as a doorway for Chelsea and Liverpool, etc. I think it's pointless having it if it would only be enforced selectively

It wasn't used as a doorway for Chelsea, they qualified as per the rules. That's nothing to do with achievement, agreeing, disagreeing or pointfullness. Nothing being enforced selectively, they qualified, so they got to be in it. If they win the EL this season and finish in the top 4 they will have qualified both for the EL and for the CL so they get to play in the CL.

Chelsea didn't qualify - finished 6th last year - they qualified by using the 'rule'

They did qualify. Camspur posted the part of the regulations on the previous page. If you win it, you qualify. They won it, thus they qualified.

What do you mean by "the 'rule'"? Is it any different from the other parts of the UEFA regulations?

Chelsea didn't qualify - finished 6th last year - they qualified by using the 'rule'

But this rule enabled them to qualify. This is outlined to all teams at the start of each tournament is it not? If it were you in charge of UEFA, how would you deal with it?

I'm not disputing the existence of the rule - I am questioning its potential hypocrisy which seems to be applied selectively based not on the worth and glory of defending your 'trophy' but on other aspects

I'm not disputing the existence of the rule - I am questioning its potential hypocrisy which seems to be applied selectively based not on the worth and glory of defending your 'trophy' but on other aspects

If the Europa League and Champions League were held in the same esteem, I would understand your point. But the CL is THE elite competition. The one all clubs strive to get into. The rules to qualify for the competition are based around meritocracy. If you meet those qualification requirements your in. This trumps the 'worth and glory of defending your trophy'.

What 'the rule' did was rob us of a place.

We knew, just like every other team what would be the outcome of finishing 4th if Chelsea won it while finishing wherever they ended up finishing.

As long as the rules were always there for all and clear to see I don't quite see how we were robbed.

We're obviously going round in circles here. My previous post works just as well as an answer to this as anything I could write now.

We knew, just like every other team what would be the outcome of finishing 4th if Chelsea won it while finishing wherever they ended up finishing.

As long as the rules were always there for all and clear to see I don't quite see how we were robbed.

Yes, we knew the rule was there, but it's relatively new rule. Prior to Liverpool this was never an issue. In the old European Cup they always let the winner defend their trophy in addition to letting the league winner from the same country participate.

Yes, we knew the rule was there, but it's relatively new rule. Prior to Liverpool this was never an issue. In the old European Cup they always let the winner defend their trophy in addition to letting the league winner from the same country participate.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it matters.

It hurt like hell when it happened, but I think the "we were robbed" statement belongs in the excuse thread.

I love it how if Chelsea win the Europa League, but finish outside of the Europa League qualifying spots, they qualify Automatically for a Group Stage place in the Europa but it is NOT at the expensive of any other competition entrant!!

Why then is the Champions League different?? Stupid inconsistency!!

I love it how if Chelsea win the Europa League, but finish outside of the Europa League qualifying spots, they qualify Automatically for a Group Stage place in the Europa but it is NOT at the expensive of any other competition entrant!!

Why then is the Champions League different?? Stupid inconsistency!!

I think it's a valid point. Trivial from the point of view as we know what will/won't happen. Anyway, logic goes out the window with UEFA . CL drop outs into Europa League ? Complete joke.

It dont think it's very relevant to bring the old "European Cup" into this discussion, as 3rd or 4th werent involved in those days. The "we were robbed" stuff reeks of spin; if we had finished 3rd with Arsenal 4th how many on the board would allow let their fans get away with it? As far as I was aware, any of our Champions League entries are capable of winning the competition, and finishing outside of the top 4, so every other team should just be trying to finish as high as they possibly can rather than resting on the laurels or expecting a late=season collapse to be rewarded.

Perhaps I should angle this slightly differently - do you think the rule is fair and objective in its implementation?

Do you think there should be 5 clubs from one country in the competition?
4 if more than enough imo.
3 is what they should be aiming at.

Back