• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

The Stock market set a new all-time closing high by rising 22.57 points to 7,142.83. London emerged as the best performer out of the major European stock markets this year.

UK rocks London rules

Hashtag Brexit not end of the world. I am not really sure what this whole hashtag thing is.

The Stock market set a new all-time closing high by rising 22.57 points to 7,142.83. London emerged as the best performer out of the major European stock markets this year.

UK rocks London rules

Hashtag Brexit not end of the world. I am not really sure what this whole hashtag thing is.

Of course it is, we are doomed i tell thee doomed . ;)

I'm not saying leaving the EU will be the end of the world, but we haven't actually left yet, nor have we outlined the terms we're gonna have with the EU upon leaving. Bit early for "I told you so" imo.

I'm not saying leaving the EU will be the end of the world, but we haven't actually left yet, nor have we outlined the terms we're gonna have with the EU upon leaving. Bit early for "I told you so" imo.
Really? Because I read a lot of "I told you so" when Sterling took a short blip during and after the referendum.

UK rocks London rules

Isn't this in part due to relative weakness of the pound?

Also, on 5 Live there was a report that mentioned the market always rises at this time of year. Something like 85% of the last 30 years (don't quote me) has seen a rise between Christmas and new year.

They also said that the fact that foreign owned companies that make up a large chunk of the index played a big part in this rise.

Edit - more detail here: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/dec/28/ftse-100-soars-to-new-closing-high

Really? Because I read a lot of "I told you so" when Sterling took a short blip during and after the referendum.

That was a bit early too, with regards the world ending. Though it was an immediate effect of leaving I suppose.

The point still stands though. We haven't left and we don't yet know on what terms we are going to leave. So we don't know yet if it's good, bad or just the same old same old.

That was a bit early too, with regards the world ending. Though it was an immediate effect of leaving I suppose.

The point still stands though. We haven't left and we don't yet know on what terms we are going to leave. So we don't know yet if it's good, bad or just the same old same old.

tickle my balls with a feather and i have been saying the same since the result came in, however there are those who were ( and probably still are) convinced it would be a disaster.

Economists now admitting how wrong they got it.

@ hashtag snowflake generation and panic I am not sure if I am doing this hashtag thing right, but I am determined to become part of this young generations social media thing.

Anyway, well worth a read ladies....http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-michael-fish-moment-dire-brexit-predictions/

What with the bitch from the IMF being found guilty, all those doomsayers are looking a little silly.

The economy has defied forecasts in almost every area since the vote to leave the European Union. Unemployment remained at a record low of 1.62 million in the three months to October, house prices rose by 6.9 per cent in the year to October and the Bank has raised expectations for economic growth this year from 0.8 per cent to 1.4 per cent.

Figures also showed new car sales at an all-time high. The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said 2.69 million cars were registered last year, 2 per cent higher than in 2015.

It came as a survey revealed that the services sector, which includes retail and banking, grew at its fastest pace for 17 months. Chris Williamson, of IHS Markit, which produces the survey, said it added “to signs that the UK economy continues to defy widely held expectations of a Brexit-driven slowdown”.

“If you look at how the consumer performed during the course of the last year it’s almost as though the referendum had not taken place. In terms of the real things like pay and jobs not very much happened during the course of last year. It’s pretty much business as usual. The spending power in people’s pockets was not materially dented.”

He said that people were still likely to see “something of a squeeze” on their spending power this year because the falling value of the pound would lead to rising prices. However, he added that it was not “inevitable”.

Why would any country in the world want to do a trade deal with us? why oh why?

Economists now admitting how wrong they got it.

@ hashtag snowflake generation and panic I am not sure if I am doing this hashtag thing right, but I am determined to become part of this young generations social media thing.

Anyway, well worth a read ladies....http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-michael-fish-moment-dire-brexit-predictions/

What with the bitch from the IMF being found guilty, all those doomsayers are looking a little silly.

And most have gone very quite over the last few weeks. ;)

Shouldn't the dire predictions be judged once we've actually left?
You would think so, but when the currency dropped (some would say 'corrected' as it was at least 10% overvalued anyway) post brexit vote, this was held up as a teeth-gnashing, drop-to-the-knees wailing moment for vocal Remain voters. When every other prediction has either failed to happen or improved we must 'wait and see'.

Interesting how the economists are calling their predictions a 'Michael Fish moment' but the Leave claims are called lies...

I think it would be best for both sides to shut up, get behind the negotiations, and see what happens. I'm fed up of watching panel shows where every comedian/celebrity/other guest is wailing about brexit and how bad 2016 was. Statistically, it seems unlikely they all voted remain.

Sterling dropping by 20-30% is the reason the FTSE has risen, isn't that obvious?

Most of the FTSE companies earn most of their money from outside the U.K. Thus with the pound lower, their market worth or price increases to make up the difference in the weak pound.

So yeah no point blowing Farrage and pals just yet.

I am amazed by people who say: you see Brexits been alright.

We are still in the EU! Nothing has changed. Has that passed people by? We don't even know what Brexit is yet! Let alone it happening. Delusions.

The one thing you can say is that confidence in the UK hasn't been affected. But then no one knows what brexit is yet. Once we do people will be able to act.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Sterling dropping by 20-30% is the reason the FTSE has risen, isn't that obvious?

Most of the FTSE companies earn most of their money from outside the U.K. Thus with the pound lower, their market worth or price increases to make up the difference in the weak pound.

So yeah no point blowing Farrage and pals just yet.

I am amazed by people who say: you see Brexits been alright.

We are still in the EU! Nothing has changed. Has that passed people by? We don't even know what Brexit is yet! Let alone it happening. Delusions.

The one thing you can say is that confidence in the UK hasn't been affected. But then no one knows what brexit is yet. Once we do people will be able to act.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Try telling that to the experts ( so called) and their followers who have been banging on since the result that we are all doomed.

Where is the 20-30% from?

Looking over the past 12 months (6 months prior to and 6 months after the vote) it looks to have dropped by just over 14% on average values. It's only 18.5% on the maximum and minimum values for that period.

Where is the 20-30% from?

Looking over the past 12 months (6 months prior to and 6 months after the vote) it looks to have dropped by just over 14% on average values. It's only 18.5% on the maximum and minimum values for that period.

Obviously it depends what you're pegging the pound against and when you take the measurement. The dollar is often the benchmark. Which currency were you measuring it against?

Today the pound is $1.21 it was $1.48 before the referendum. Even at 18-19% its still a massive drop, and this year you will notice prices rise significantly in the shops (imo).

Last edited:
Back