• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Even a massive qunt like IDS has had enough of targeting the disabled now. Unfortunately, it doesn't undo the Universal Credit clusterphuck of IDS's creation, but it redeems him ever so slightly.

The main reforms were a step in the right direction getting lazy fcukers to work instead of living on benefits or sl*gs thinking they can make money by sh*ting out 5 or 6 babies and never having to work, I agreed with that.

But the disabled and proper ill(cancer MS etc) should have been ring fenced, I am compassionate to those people, the chavs fcuk them send them down workhouses.

I quite like the deserving poor, like my father who was a labourer and my mother worked for the council in a low paid/skilled admin job. Did not actually like my mother but that is beside the point, those people who get up and go to work everyday are ok by me. The scum who dont want to work, harvest their organs for the good people. We have a crippling waiting list for transplants in this country and something needs to be done about it.

There are plenty of inefficient private companies doing public sector work though, due to the critical nature of their services the govt often has to step in or bail them out e.g. some of the train franchises that were bailed out, G4S in the olympics, Serco and Capita are pretty much never out of the news for one reason or another. Circle Health aren't doing much at Hinchingbrooke etc.

There are plenty of inefficient private companies doing public sector work though, due to the critical nature of their services the govt often has to step in or bail them out e.g. some of the train franchises that were bailed out, G4S in the olympics, Serco and Capita are pretty much never out of the news for one reason or another. Circle Health aren't doing much at Hinchingbrooke etc.
You'll always find some examples of failure if you look hard enough. I'd expect plenty of it in a situation where governments hand contracts to a small number of pet suppliers.

As for failure though, you only need to look at my payslip and compare the Gross Pay and PAYE figures to realise that our current system is failing horribly.

it doesn't surprise me at all in this country, but I am still annoyed at all the personal petty hate I'm seeing towards IDS, a distasteful sneering lefty smugness

yes his dept. was unpopular with many many people but the policies were not direct victimisation of anybody, it was never personal (unlike the backlash), merely a product of practical reality and a reduced budget

on another note, the increase in the minimum wage looks like it could backfire spectacularly, we've been warned by or children's nursery that price rises are coming as they have to increase salaries, it's going to put our annual childcare bill above my wife's salary, obviously it makes no sense for her to continue working for nothing, it appears it's a similar situation for many parents we have spoken too and the nursery is going to have less fee paying children soon, this will obviously lead to reduced staff requirements, yes it's a singular data point, but, if this is repeated in other industries it's going to add up to increasing unemployment and less income tax, it doesn't appear to have been thought through at all

it doesn't surprise me at all in this country, but I am still annoyed at all the personal petty hate I'm seeing towards IDS, a distasteful sneering lefty smugness

yes his dept. was unpopular with many many people but the policies were not direct victimisation of anybody, it was never personal (unlike the backlash), merely a product of practical reality and a reduced budget

That's not what IDS has been saying since his resignation.

on another note, the increase in the minimum wage looks like it could backfire spectacularly, we've been warned by or children's nursery that price rises are coming as they have to increase salaries, it's going to put our annual childcare bill above my wife's salary, obviously it makes no sense for her to continue working for nothing, it appears it's a similar situation for many parents we have spoken too and the nursery is going to have less fee paying children soon, this will obviously lead to reduced staff requirements, yes it's a singular data point, but, if this is repeated in other industries it's going to add up to increasing unemployment and less income tax, it doesn't appear to have been thought through at all

Hey,to mitigate against that, why don't you work harder and increase your salary and hence household income?

That's not what IDS has been saying since his resignation.

indeed, certainly more going on there than is being said publicly, his opinion has flip flopped according to the other side, I'm sure the truth will come out in time

but, if the government are doing anything other than pragmatic accounting then they are not doing their job, if that's the case that would be a far bigger story

Hey,to mitigate against that, why don't you work harder and increase your salary and hence household income?

tick

that's what I'm doing

it's not an issue of reduced income for us (my wife wanted to go back to work), it's an issue of small businesses having to make people redundant to cover the enforced wage increase

edit: but it also shouldn't be ignored that it makes it harder for parents to return to work

Last edited:
tick

that's what I'm doing

it's not an issue of reduced income for us (my wife wanted to go back to work), it's an issue of small businesses having to make people redundant to cover the enforced wage increase

edit: but it also shouldn't be ignored that it makes it harder for parents to return to work

Again, by the same notion (often trotted out in this thread) those businesses should become more efficient and those parents should work harder to get better paid jobs and become more efficient and indispensable themselves...

indeed, certainly more going on there than is being said publicly, his opinion has flip flopped according to the other side, I'm sure the truth will come out in time

but, if the government are doing anything other than pragmatic accounting then they are not doing their job, if that's the case that would be a far bigger story

It has been very obvious for a long time that pensioners have been protected from the worst of the cuts because they are more likely to vote and more likely to vote Conservative.

Again, by the same notion (often trotted out in this thread) those businesses should become more efficient and those parents should work harder to get better paid jobs and become more efficient and indispensable themselves...

you need to work there in the first place to be indispensable, there is no incentive to return to work if it doesn't even cover the required childcare

but that's by the by, my specific situation is irrelevant, my wider point is an increase in minimum wage will have a negative effect on unemployment and it's the junior staff members who've not had the experience to boost institutional memory who are most likely to lose out

Last edited:
Businesses are becoming more efficient.

My company only employs about 100 UK staff, but it looks like we'll be losing about 8 of them. More worrying is the future trend that a high minimum wage creates. None of our strategic plans now involve an increase in staff - previously more than half did. The government has forced us into automation or nothing when it comes to expansion.

The next obvious result of such a high minimum wage is the inflation it will cause - especially at the bottom end of the market. That means that benefits will have to increase massively in order for people to be able to afford the basics. And we all know where those payments come from - our already extortionate tax bills.

you need to work there in the first place to be indispensable, there is no incentive to return to work if it doesn't even cover the required childcare

but that's by the by, my specific situation is irrelevant, my wider point is an increase in minimum wage will have a negative effect on unemployment and it's the junior staff members who've not had the experience to boost institutional memory who are most likely to lose out
Quite. Working should always make one much better off than not working - if the government doesn't achieve that then it's failed (unless you're Tony Blair and you're intentionally creating an army of benefit voters).

I think it sends the wrong message to youngsters as well, a job isn't just about money, there is value in the experience and the shortfall in education employers now have to make up

I think it sends the wrong message to youngsters as well, a job isn't just about money, there is value in the experience and the shortfall in education employers now have to make up
A similar side effect at our place is the forced reduction in pay differential.

Obviously we can't afford to increase everyone's pay by as much as those on minimum wage, so there's now less of an incentive to train more and learn more skills.

On the flipside though are people against the new living wage or feel it should have been implemented in a different way e.g. tax credit top up, tax breaks for businesses that pay it etc.

Back