• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

We surprised ourselves. Only a few years ago, asked to list the nation’s ills – wealth gap, ailing NHS, north-south imbalance, crime, terrorism, austerity, housing crisis etc – most of us would not have thought to include our membership of the EU. How happy we were in 2012, in the afterglow of our successful Olympics. We weren’t thinking then of Brussels. It was, in Guy Verhofstadt’s famous term, a “cat-fight” within the Tory party that got us going. Those cats had been fighting each other for decades. When they dragged us in and urged us to take sides, we had a collective nervous breakdown; then sufficient numbers wanted the distress to go away and “get Brexit done”. Repeated ad nauseam by the prime minister it almost seemed impolite to ask why.

In the early days of the referendum campaign we learned that “on the doorstep” it was all about migration; but we also learned that it was the UK’s decision, not the EU’s, to allow unlimited migration from the accession countries before the permitted seven years were up; it was the UK’s choice to allow EU migrants to stay more than six months without a job; it was the UK that successfully campaigned to enlarge the EU eastwards; it is the UK, not the EU, that lets non-EU migration continue (and why not?) as EU migration declines. We also learned that the UK, not the EU, opted for our maroon rather than patriotic blue passports. Though, as I look, my old passports seem almost black.

Had to post this too. He sums it up.

He fails to get past Brexit makes me butthurt therefore it's bad. Hardly surprising - artsy types, by their nature, view the world through their prism of pointless and meaningless emotions. They'd be bricky entertainers if they didn't, but entertainers they are. Don't let an understanding of and talent with language fool you into thinking they are capable outside their little sphere of keeping me entertained.

Take his position on divide. He mentions it as if the very concept of divide is inherently bad, yet it's divide that keeps the North from the South, it's divide that keeps council estates from proper houses, it's divide that keeps criminals from victims.

I back Brexit because it's right and the best thing for the country in general over the long term. I voted against it because it suited me personally at the time. Demographically, I don't think people look hard enough into the details. I know a lot of graduates - most people I spend any real time with are. The popular misconception is that all graduates are Remainders. In my experience there's a larger divide between those who studied theoretical subjects such as archaeology and English lit (they're all remainders) and those who studied engineering/IT and similar subjects who are now involved in running businesses and contributing to society - they're all Leavers. I do see a strong split along the class lines, although not the Leave/Remain one that people seem to think there is. Of those who voted Leave, the working classes seem to have voted that way in the manner Remainders like to caricature the Leave vote - racism, taking our jobs, burkas, etc. Those in the middle and upper classes who voted that way seem to have done so for the reasons I would had it suited me at the time.

Brexit was the victory of simple lies over complex truth. Ian McEwin simply has the intelligence and dexterity to summerise that truth.

Whether you like it or not, demographically you side with school leavers, those of lower-income, and the old. More of those running companies were pro-remain. The CBI has data on it.

Brexit was the victory of simple lies over complex truth. Ian McEwin simply has the intelligence and dexterity to summerise that truth.

Whether you like it or not, demographically you side with school leavers, those of lower-income, and the old. More of those running companies were pro-remain. The CBI has data on it.
Whilst my evidence is only anecdotal - it's clearly not as simplistic as you'd like to paint it.

That said, I don't choose opinions based on who else chooses them - quite the opposite. I take the correct stance and anyone keeping up with or following me gets to bathe in the beautiful glory of being right.

If you base your opinion on those of entertainers then you probably won't find yourself there very often.

Whilst my evidence is only anecdotal - it's clearly not as simplistic as you'd like to paint it.

That said, I don't choose opinions based on who else chooses them - quite the opposite. I take the correct stance and anyone keeping up with or following me gets to bathe in the beautiful glory of being right.

If you base your opinion on those of entertainers then you probably won't find yourself there very often.

We all get to bathe in it. You should get some thanks :D

I hope it is for the best... I really do. And if it is i will turn around and say i was wrong. You guys were right.

But if it damages the uk, makes us poorer, less relevant, breaks the union, make us even more of lowly extension of the United states, starts the privatisation of healthcare continues the rise of racism. if all or some of that happens, will you turn around and say you were wrong, will try to fix your mistake... or will you continue down the same path but ramp it up? If all or some of the above come into being, do you bare any responsibility? Will you try to do something about it because of that responsibility?

Like I said... I hope it doesn't. Because even though I'm second generation I still love this country, I will still be paying taxes here and hopefully making investments.

@scaramanga @Danishfurniturelover @parklane1 @Parklaner81 @Grays_1890 @Gutter Boy @nigelFarragelover69

I believe the worlds got an amazing way of adapting and as much as we have a downer we navigate loads without drama and don’t give ourselves credit. In the years of holding pattern the UK has rolled its sleeves up and maintained even in uncertainty and that is one huge reason that regardless of what Brexit brings I believe we will adapt and succeed, worse case.

And I will be there if the worse happens to build it back up.

We all get to bathe in it. You should get some thanks :D

Spur

I owe you an apology hand on heart I got carried away and the other day said things I shouldn’t and all that aside it shouldn’t come to that so hopefully I can extend my virtual hand and we can make peace.

Emotional times but I’m man enough to apologise for stepping over the line, my bad.

What is that I hear coming? Oh, it's a recession.
They happen. Despite the protestations of the gimpy, one-eyed tax monster they can't be avoided either. A good government will be able to step back, reduce its thievery and regulation, allowing businesses to find a way through.

Spur

I owe you an apology hand on heart I got carried away and the other day said things I shouldn’t and all that aside it shouldn’t come to that so hopefully I can extend my virtual hand and we can make peace.

Emotional times but I’m man enough to apologise for stepping over the line, my bad.

Takes two to tango! Apologies too. You have class!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Stretham issues today, declared terrorism by Met. London is mad. I was just a train behind the attack in Croydon in week, was insane.

definite issues in the city

If this is true, this could be very interesting indeed...on so many levels..

https://www.cityam.com/nissan-plans-to-increase-uk-market-share-in-brexit-contingency-plan/

Nissan plans to increase UK market share in Brexit contingency plan
Nissan has drawn up a contingency plan to pull out of Europe if Brexit leads to tariffs on car exports, but will double down on the UK.

The Financial Times reported that according to two people involved in the plan, drawn up last year, Nissan would close its Barcelona van facility and stop manufacturing in France.

The carmaker would keep its Sunderland plant in the UK because if other carmakers that import to Britain face tariffs, Nissan would have a competitive edge.

The carmaker hopes to increase its market share from 4 per cent to up to 20 per cent.

The contingency plan was drawn up before Makoto Uchida was installed as the new chief executive in December, according to the Financial Times.

In October last year Nissan’s European chairman, Gianluca de Ficchy, said the imposition of WTO tariffs of 10 per cent on vehicles would threaten “the entire business model of Nissan in Europe”.

The firm uses the Sunderland plant as a base for its European operations, but de Ficchy said that a hard Brexit would make it impossible to continue this model.

Nissan’s plant in Sunderland currently makes three of five core models – the Qashwai, the Juke and the electric Leaf. Under Nissan’s tariff scenario, the Micra would reportedly be moved back to the UK.

Boris Johnson will tomorrow set out a tough opening stance ahead of trade talks with the European Union. He is expected to say that the UK will refuse close alignment of rules and reject the jurisdiction of the European courts in any trade deal.

Foreign secretary Dominic Raab told Sky News: “We are taking back control of our laws, so we are not going to have high alignment with the EU, legislative alignment with their rules”

Nissan was contacted for comment.

The carmaker denied such a contingency plan exists to the Financial Times.

https://www.cityam.com/nissan-plans-to-increase-uk-market-share-in-brexit-contingency-plan/

Nissan has drawn up a contingency plan to pull out of Europe if Brexit leads to tariffs on car exports, but will double down on the UK.

The Financial Times reported that according to two people involved in the plan, drawn up last year, Nissan would close its Barcelona van facility and stop manufacturing in France.

The carmaker would keep its Sunderland plant in the UK because if other carmakers that import to Britain face tariffs, Nissan would have a competitive edge.

The carmaker hopes to increase its market share from 4 per cent to up to 20 per cent.

The contingency plan was drawn up before Makoto Uchida was installed as the new chief executive in December, according to the Financial Times.

In October last year Nissan’s European chairman, Gianluca de Ficchy, said the imposition of WTO tariffs of 10 per cent on vehicles would threaten “the entire business model of Nissan in Europe”.

The firm uses the Sunderland plant as a base for its European operations, but de Ficchy said that a hard Brexit would make it impossible to continue this model.

Nissan’s plant in Sunderland currently makes three of five core models – the Qashwai, the Juke and the electric Leaf. Under Nissan’s tariff scenario, the Micra would reportedly be moved back to the UK.

Boris Johnson will tomorrow set out a tough opening stance ahead of trade talks with the European Union. He is expected to say that the UK will refuse close alignment of rules and reject the jurisdiction of the European courts in any trade deal.

Foreign secretary Dominic Raab told Sky News: “We are taking back control of our laws, so we are not going to have high alignment with the EU, legislative alignment with their rules”

I think tariffs are a bum steer here.

Any trade deal we have with Japan is likely to be tariff free - especially on cars. If we want to continue building their cars here we'll need to be cheaper, better or faster. Ditching the Stalinist minimum wage, reducing the crippling corporate tax bills and removing costly regulation should make it possible to compete - especially considering the logistical implications of large, expensive goods like cars.

Don’t want to pizz on anyone’s strawberries but look at the detail...

Nissan currently have 4% of the Uk car market. Out of 350k cars produced last year 70k cars were sold in the UK. To increase sales in the uk six fold (to 400k) either the likes of Scara would have to start driving a Nissan...or this is pie in the sky and its never going to happen.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Back