• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Who gives a fudge what Boris says, the man has zero credibility. Why hasn't he done the honourable thing and resigned. For the answer look to my post above.

True. I actually don’t mind the guy - for being a maverick. But rewind 2-3 years and the notion that he would be running the country was laughable.

We’ve come so far since the Brexit vote [emoji85]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Would’ve been nice if he’d been fully focussed on doing his job and getting a new deal alk this tone rather than playing silly illegal games to try and force through a no deal.

For what it's worth, I actually don't believe that was his aim. It may be the aim of some in his party, but I believe he simply saw having the credible option of no-deal as vital to his negotiating position.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-EUR

2015-16, the period that your graph conveniently emphasises, was easily the pound's high point against the euro of the past 10 years, according to this. For much of 2009 - 2012, it was roughly comparable to where it's been since the referendum.
That was after the crash and a low peroid in of itself. If you look over say 20 years you can see the trends better

Compared to those using legal loopholes and biases to overturn democracy?

I suggest you go back to uni and learn some courses in politics and government. The courts are very much part of the democratic process. Note, even Boris isn't challenging the court's right to strike down his illegal act. I'll bet the Tories had legal advice that it would be struck out, but given that the Murdoch press are there to keep on cheering and deluding the masses , they thought bugger it, we can just ignore the law.

Last edited:
Oh to laugh. When the Tories commit that which cannot be defended, old faithful resorts to that old chestnut..but... but they're all the same. False moral equivalency arguments are really handy when you have nowhere else to go.

Last edited:
That was after the crash and a low peroid in of itself. If you look over say 20 years you can see the trends better

The page I linked to also displays the 20 year history. The 2008 crash seems to have been something of a turning point for the pound/euro rate. I'm not convinced the 20 year graph shows much of a trend as such, only a turning point.

Over the last 10 years the rate has stayed largely within the 1.10-1.20 range, except for the fairly brief spike in 2015-16 already discussed.

The page I linked to also displays the 20 year history. The 2008 crash seems to have been something of a turning point for the pound/euro rate. I'm not convinced the 20 year graph shows much of a trend as such, only a turning point.

Over the last 10 years the rate has stayed largely within the 1.10-1.20 range, except for the fairly brief spike in 2015-16 already discussed.
It looks to me it dipped after the crash, climbed back up to pre-crash levels more or less and then dipped again after brexit vote.

It looks to me it dipped after the crash, climbed back up to pre-crash levels more or less and then dipped again after brexit vote.

Then I guess that proves how differently two people can interpret the same data.

It got back up just slightly above 1.30 for about 12 months in 2015, a time of turmoil in the EU due to the migrant crisis. It had barely ever dipped below 1.40 pre-crash, and was far higher for much of that time. In my opinion, that really doesn't fit with the description you've offered.

Then I guess that proves how differently two people can interpret the same data.

It got back up just slightly above 1.30 for about 12 months in 2015, a time of turmoil in the EU due to the migrant crisis. It had barely ever dipped below 1.40 pre-crash, and was far higher for much of that time. In my opinion, that really doesn't fit with the description you've offered.
It's like a rorschach test. ;)

London has become a huge tech hub - while in the EU. What exactly am I ignoring?

See you want it sliced and diced both ways.

So companies are leaving because of Brexit despite us not leaving? And any growth is down to still being in the EU?

Thats having your cake and eating it in the argument.

If by your theory companies are leaving under the dark cloud of brexit surely we would not see growth and when we talk growth we talk HUGE growth in fintech etc?

Facts are you want to manipulate the argument to suit your self which is fine, but the only people doing damage in the UK with the delays to leaving are remain eejits like you who want to remain and can't stomach losing which has seen this strung out for as long as it has.

See you want it sliced and diced both ways.

So companies are leaving because of Brexit despite us not leaving? And any growth is down to still being in the EU?

Thats having your cake and eating it in the argument.

If by your theory companies are leaving under the dark cloud of brexit surely we would not see growth and when we talk growth we talk HUGE growth in fintech etc?

Facts are you want to manipulate the argument to suit your self which is fine, but the only people doing damage in the UK with the delays to leaving are remain eejits like you who want to remain and can't stomach losing which has seen this strung out for as long as it has.

Try not to take it personal, weakens your argument, which in itself is weak.

Fintech stared before Brexit and is not massively affected by tariffs. An app works globally without any imposed duties as you get say for imported cars or food into the EU. To repeat myself - the only real affect on tech companies is the issue of hiring programmers. I should know I run a tech company.

Companies like ARM have been 20% off post vote - with the pound lower, and unlike France etc our crap government lets our world leading companies be bought out of UK control. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....t-arm-holdings-sold-to-japanese-firm-for-24bn

Since the vote there have been a number of take overs utilising the low pound and weak regulation of takeovers in the UK.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-EUR

2015-16, the period that your graph conveniently emphasises, was easily the pound's high point against the euro of the past 10 years, according to this. For much of 2009 - 2012, it was roughly comparable to where it's been since the referendum.

Does this illustrate that Brexit is judged to be a step backward by financial markets?

Last edited:
Try not to take it personal, weakens your argument, which in itself is weak.

Fintech stared before Brexit and is not massively affected by tariffs. An app works globally without any imposed duties as you get say for imported cars or food into the EU. To repeat myself - the only real affect on tech companies is the issue of hiring programmers. I should know I run a tech company.

Companies like ARM have been 20% off post vote - with the pound lower, and unlike France etc our crap government lets our world leading companies be bought out of UK control. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....t-arm-holdings-sold-to-japanese-firm-for-24bn

Since the vote there have been a number of take overs utilising the low pound and weak regulation of takeovers in the UK.

There's a bit more to it than the hiring of programmers:
  • GDPR
  • Transfer of data e.g. Privacy Shield
  • Storage of data
  • Privacy
  • Regulatory regime e.g. banning of some Android items in China, Huwawei etc
  • Patent law

Does this illustrate that Brexit is judged to be a step backward by financial markets?

Quite possibly. On the other hand, the 10 year data makes 2015 look more like the outlier, with the pound currently trading close to the range it's been in for much of the past decade. Which paints a very different picture.

I think the only certainty is that it's far less clear cut than you've tried to paint it.

There's a bit more to it than the hiring of programmers:
  • GDPR
  • Transfer of data e.g. Privacy Shield
  • Storage of data
  • Privacy
  • Regulatory regime e.g. banning of some Android items in China, Huwawei etc
  • Patent law

None of it has much impact. GDPR is a load of tosh. It's a fab excuse for getting out of sharing data, but it changed hardly anything. If these things had a real impact, why would so many tech companies set up in the EU and London? None of it has a meaningful impact on the work I am involved with.

Quite possibly. On the other hand, the 10 year data makes 2015 look more like the outlier, with the pound currently trading close to the range it's been in for much of the past decade. Which paints a very different picture.

I think the only certainty is that it's far less clear cut than you've tried to paint it.

Well UK investment and UK growth showed distinct drop offs post vote, and the value of our currency dropped off massively. The rest of the world was surging forward at that time. Post vote EU growth was ahead of our own. We went from one of the fastest growing developed economies to one of the slowest. Inward investment into the UK declined. And the pound fell. But this is all just cooincidence? It has nothing to do with the brexit vote? What else happened to cause these distinct changes? I humble suggest it might be you painting a picture.

Well UK investment and UK growth showed distinct drop offs post vote, and the value of our currency dropped off massively. The rest of the world was surging forward at that time. Post vote EU growth was ahead of our own. We went from one of the fastest growing developed economies to one of the slowest. Inward investment into the UK declined. And the pound fell. But this is all just cooincidence? It has nothing to do with the brexit vote? What else happened to cause these distinct changes? I humble suggest it might be you painting a picture.

With respect, I'm not the one trying to pin the movements of complex international markets on a single issue to suit my agenda - I'm arguing against that. Nor am I the one presenting misleading, cherry-picked data. That's you. And unless I'm very much mistaken, you have form in this thread for doing likewise on other topics.

So I think it's pretty clear you've got the bolded bit back to front.

Back