• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

And all those places I believe (not checked) trade the most with their neighbours. Which was the original point. China is the exception because of their hybrid economy and low per capita income.

Is that not correct?
China is the proof that trade goes to wherever the best source for that trade is. Currently the whole world trades with the EU (expensively). There would be no material difference to those countries between buying from us or the EU, except that, outside of the Borg EU, we will be able to compete with them on price.

Obviously an n=1 example, but Ive got a Chinese fitness tracker, a Xiaomi Mi Band 4. I had the Mi Band 2 and this is a significant upgrade. It matches a Fitbit for pretty much everything and retails at £35.

It is a quality bit of kit, not tacky or cheap in the least.

I got it on Amazon 2 days after release. There were plenty of China based suppliers with a 10 day delivery time, but I found one that was on Prime for a couple of pounds extra.

Clearly they had managed to get some delivered and warehoused here in time for release, and as a customer I was willing to pay a nominal amount to get it sooner than otherwise available (and honestly at 2 weeks its not bad really).

Im aware there are things that take forever to arrive from China, but its not really a universal truth. And I do think were there a greater emphasis on the UK buying from China then those routes would speed up some as well.
Yeah, I sure everyone has had different experiences but was just recounting my experience on eBay, direct from China. Maybe Amazon have got it working a bit better (I use Amazon too but hate their whole business model - another discussion). I doubt the Chinese will be buying fudge all from the UK though.

On a side note, if the UK really want to 'take back control' maybe they should try and rebuild the manufacturing base and take the hit on the prices.

Yeah, I sure everyone has had different experiences but was just recounting my experience on eBay, direct from China. Maybe Amazon have got it working a bit better (I use Amazon too but hate their whole business model - another discussion). I doubt the Chinese will be buying fudge all from the UK though.

On a side note, if the UK really want to 'take back control' maybe they should try and rebuild the manufacturing base and take the hit on the prices.
You might not like it but we'll be in prime position to get Amazon's business once Luxembourg loses the right to set its own taxation levels.

We operate on a JIT system and our suppliers are all over the place. In fact, the only one we needed to arrange warehousing in the UK for are the ones in Italy because supply is so unreliable.

One of our major customers gets their component parts and plenty of steel tube for forming from China. I don't know of any business that decides on day 0 they need a part, sources it on day 1, receives it on day 2/3/4 and then starts all over again. What tends to happen is that someone will decide they need x parts per y space of time and enters into a contract with a supplier (no matter where they are in the world) to supply at that rate on that timescale. That works perfectly well for our customers and perfectly well for us.
The JIT supply chain from the EU will perish in no deal brexit is the general consensus due to the tailbacks, increased paperwork, etc. I've heard plenty of stories of drivers being tasked with a day roundtrip to EU for parts in the automotive industry. It is a recurring theme on talk radio.

Apologies for my ignorance, what trade are we going to steal from the EU?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

China is the proof that trade goes to wherever the best source for that trade is. Currently the whole world trades with the EU (expensively). There would be no material difference to those countries between buying from us or the EU, except that, outside of the Borg EU, we will be able to compete with them on price.

China is an anomaly for the reasons I have already highlighted.

So I will ask again, what major nation, that doesn't have a hybrid economy and has similar per capita GDP. Does the gravity model not apply to?

China is an anomaly for the reasons I have already highlighted.

So I will ask again, what major nation, that doesn't have a hybrid economy and has similar per capita GDP. Does the gravity model not apply to?
It doesn't have to not apply - you haven't read (or understood) the second half of my post.

The EU sells all over the world. Buying from the EU or the UK for those buyers all over the world will be little or no difference at all. We only need to be cheaper and/or better than the EU. Simply by not being in the EU and able to trade freely, that's fairly easy to do. That's before we look at competitive tax rates, etc in order to take that trade.

It doesn't have to not apply - you haven't read (or understood) the second half of my post.

The EU sells all over the world. Buying from the EU or the UK for those buyers all over the world will be little or no difference at all. We only need to be cheaper and/or better than the EU. Simply by not being in the EU and able to trade freely, that's fairly easy to do. That's before we look at competitive tax rates, etc in order to take that trade.

I may be being dim but...

I think it is you that doesn't understand. You use China as an example to prove that the Gravity model is not correct. I then explain to you why China is an anomaly.

You then say we can compete with the EU ... Where the gravity model does apply.

What am I missing?

I may be being dim but...

I think it is you that doesn't understand. You use China as an example to prove that the Gravity model is not correct. I then explain to you why China is an anomaly.

You then say we can compete with the EU ... Where the gravity model does apply.

What am I missing?
I use China as an example to show that the gravity model doesn't stop international trade, distance is just one of many factors.

I'll try and explain a little more simply. Does the gravity model make someone in Brazil, or the US, or Indonesia more likely to trade with the EU over the UK?

I use China as an example to show that the gravity model doesn't stop international trade, distance is just one of many factors.

I'll try and explain a little more simply. Does the gravity model make someone in Brazil, or the US, or Indonesia more likely to trade with the EU over the UK?

Who said that the gravity model stops international trade? Absolutely no one said that.

As for your question... It depends what they want to buy... If it's wine... They will have to wait for global warming to really kick in for them to choose the UK.

Who said that the gravity model stops international trade? Absolutely no one said that.

As for your question... It depends what they want to buy... If it's wine... They will have to wait for global warming to really kick in for them to choose the UK.
Given that all other things are equal then, low tax/regulation, coupled with not being protectionist tacos with tariffs, would enable us to be cheaper than those in the EU.

There is always an angle.

200 years ago the market and state replaced the family and community. The market is now about to kill us all. In hindsight, the last 200 years were a mistake.

If we are talking about the same thing, which we may not be, as I'm a bottle of red deep. Then it started much further back than a couple of hundred years ago....

Back