• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Lammy's problem is he's just not very bright. It's not just the Sol Campbell approach to racism, he's generally been offkey with everything to do with the stadium.

His predecessor Bernie Grant was a towering figure in comparison.
I've never met him, but everything I've read that he has said has led me to the same conclusion.

Former Labour MP Chuka Umunna has been named as the spokesman for the new Independent Group of MPs.

The Streatham MP is one of eight former Labour members to join the breakaway group, alongside three Conservatives.

Ex-Conservative MP Sarah Wollaston has been assigned responsibility for "new colleagues".

Mr Umunna said the group would "draw on all the talents and experiences of our group" but as it was not a political party, it would not have a leader.

The group says it aims to "change politics" and offer voters "a proper alternative to the broken politics being offered by the main political parties".

The other roles agreed for its members are:

Heidi Allen: welfare and pensions, social care, and business

Luciana Berger: home affairs, health, and digital and culture

Ann Coffey: children and education

Mike Gapes: foreign affairs and defence

Chris Leslie: Treasury and trade

Joan Ryan: group business manager and international development

Gavin Shuker: group convener

Angela Smith: transport, local government and housing, and energy, environment and rural affairs

Anna Soubry: Brexit and justice (and assisting on defence)

Mr Umunna said: "The roles and responsibilities we have assigned recognise that all the members of our group have the right to be heard and a responsibility to provide leadership.

"Our structure is designed to be flexible to accommodate any changes as the group evolves and grows."

The group is now joint fourth-largest with the Lib Dems in Parliament. Among its members' reasons for leaving their parties were the government's handling of Brexit and Labour's Brexit stance - as well as the Labour leadership's handling of anti-Semitism.

Former Labour MP Chuka Umunna has been named as the spokesman for the new Independent Group of MPs.

The Streatham MP is one of eight former Labour members to join the breakaway group, alongside three Conservatives.

Ex-Conservative MP Sarah Wollaston has been assigned responsibility for "new colleagues".

Mr Umunna said the group would "draw on all the talents and experiences of our group" but as it was not a political party, it would not have a leader.

The group says it aims to "change politics" and offer voters "a proper alternative to the broken politics being offered by the main political parties".

The other roles agreed for its members are:

Heidi Allen: welfare and pensions, social care, and business

Luciana Berger: home affairs, health, and digital and culture

Ann Coffey: children and education

Mike Gapes: foreign affairs and defence

Chris Leslie: Treasury and trade

Joan Ryan: group business manager and international development

Gavin Shuker: group convener

Angela Smith: transport, local government and housing, and energy, environment and rural affairs

Anna Soubry: Brexit and justice (and assisting on defence)

Mr Umunna said: "The roles and responsibilities we have assigned recognise that all the members of our group have the right to be heard and a responsibility to provide leadership.

"Our structure is designed to be flexible to accommodate any changes as the group evolves and grows."

The group is now joint fourth-largest with the Lib Dems in Parliament. Among its members' reasons for leaving their parties were the government's handling of Brexit and Labour's Brexit stance - as well as the Labour leadership's handling of anti-Semitism.
Its almost as if they are a political party, wonder why they are still running as a business.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/who-funds-independent-group-labour-tory-split-donors-donations/

Unless they call byelections they have no credibility and the media will expose this soon enough, happy to have a 2nd referendum which is apparently democratic but claim a byelection would be a waste of time and resources.

Grayling reaches £33m settlement over Brexit ferry fiasco court case

Transport secretary agrees deal with Eurotunnel, which was suing government

Chris Grayling had awarded a contract for a post-Brexit ferry service to a company with no ships.
The government has settled a high court case over the Brexit ferry fiasco after reaching an agreement worth up to £33m with Eurotunnel, which was suing it following the award of a contract to a company with no ships.

--------------

I wonder how much Brexit is costing the UK?

On top of this kind of thing 33m here and there, the Bank of England estimates its costing 800m a week!!!! Money that could be spent on the country. I hope we get something back. No one seems to know what the benifits will be yet...but we should still believe?

Last edited:
He always comes across to me like his mouth starts moving before his brain starts working and then he'll just dig in and stand behind whatever idiocy came out.
The rest of the guys and girls in our access group. Love him and he always returns his emails which very rare these days. I'm hoping we get some NWHL wheelchair ticket help from his office...he's gonna be my bessie mate then of course.

Grayling reaches £33m settlement over Brexit ferry fiasco court case

Transport secretary agrees deal with Eurotunnel, which was suing government

Chris Grayling had awarded a contract for a post-Brexit ferry service to a company with no ships.
The government has settled a high court case over the Brexit ferry fiasco after reaching an agreement worth up to £33m with Eurotunnel, which was suing it following the award of a contract to a company with no ships.

--------------

I wonder how much Brexit is costing the UK?

On top of this kind of thing 33m here and there, the Bank of England estimates its costing 800m a week!!!! Money that could be spent on the country. I hope we get something back. No one seems to know what the benifits will be yet...but we should still believe?

I know a few people who worked with Grayling at the Ministry of Justice. They say hands down he is the most incompetent politician they have ever come across.

Once Brexit is complete and he's not needed in the cabinet for balance on that issue, I'm sure he will be permanently off to the back benches.

Are we? THis is not an argument one genuine question? Who is it costing as that would determine who and where it could have been spent?

It's based on the principle of lost growth. Because the annual population increase has fallen by about 50,000 people a year since the referendum, the projected consumption figures are lower than they had been.

Are we? THis is not an argument one genuine question? Who is it costing as that would determine who and where it could have been spent?

It’s al in the article. @gutterboy UK investment data is not effected by population growth. While other economies pushed on, we faltered because of Brexit, here you go:

He said business investment in Britain had been stuck around zero, with a drop of 3.7% in 2018, despite an upswing worth about 6% annually in the rest of the G7. Consumer spending also slowed as households came under pressure from higher prices, sparked by the sharp fall in the value of the pound straight after the Brexit vote.

“It is very unusual for investment to shrink that much when the rest of the world is doing pretty much just fine, until at least recently.

“UK growth in the past two years has been weaker than we would have expected based on the performance of the global economy alone,” he said. “Based on what happened in the rest of the world we would have expected UK growth to accelerate but actually it slowed.”

The 800m a week is not money that the government would have to spend - although they’d take their cut in taxes - it’s the cumulative loss to the UK economy. And that’s without actual Brexit, just people fearing it

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

What I find amazing/ disturbing/ treasonous almost is how people argue for Brexit solely by criticising.

Read the Sun for example, wealthy elites like Tony Parsons who makes millions and Tory MPs with 80k+ salaries and plenty of old money, lambast the likes of Amber Rudd, the EU, Teresa May....but they put forward nothing themselves! Why is that?

Why is it they can not outline a bright future with Brexit? Why can’t they argue for Brexit in a positive way, instead calling people traitors, whipping up and inciting hatred? They have no vision. Nothing to offer.

A question for @Grays_1890 if no one seems able to outline the positives of Brexit, if most reasonable models see people and government worse off financially, with immigration from Asia replacing EU migration, do you question the value of Brexit?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
I was going to go for "next Brexit secretary. Clearly has focus, Vision and the ability to carry it out"

But seriously, what evidence is there that it was a punch? One tweet? We live in a worrying time.

An arrest has been made for it. According to reports (Guardian) the guy hit Corbyn whilst holding an egg -- obviously didn't trust his aim with a throw. But considering Joe Cox was killed by some far-right nutcase and Corbyn has received death threats from people who went on to commit murder, you'd think the coverage might be a tad more serious.

My point is more that if someone did this to Theresa May, there would be 100 journalists outside of Corbyn's house right now, with every political pundit asking him to personally condemn the attack. And when he did, they'd say "this isn't good enough, it's all your fault!" We'd be drowning in faux outrage.

An arrest has been made for it. According to reports (Guardian) the guy hit Corbyn whilst holding an egg -- obviously didn't trust his aim with a throw. But considering Joe Cox was killed by some far-right nutcase and Corbyn has received death threats from people who went on to commit murder, you'd think the coverage might be a tad more serious.

My point is more that if someone did this to Theresa May, there would be 100 journalists outside of Corbyn's house right now, with every political pundit asking him to personally condemn the attack. And when he did, they'd say "this isn't good enough, it's all your fault!" We'd be drowning in faux outrage.

It's happened several times in the past with eggs or flour.
Were you as outraged it when it happened to Thatcher?

Back