• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players Levy lets get away

Hoddledro

John Gorman
We know over the years Levy's style has cost us some fine players, which ultimately hits him in the pocket when they go on to shine and increase in value. Of course it's difficult to sign quality players due to agents hawking them and higher wages available etc We've had the younger Parker and duff going for double salary elsewhere
But some could have been done if we went a little further faster. Who are they?

Obvious players are:
Cahill- (chelsea) deal was on, most clubs slow to react
Petit- (Ars) taxi for petit
Hazard- (Chelsea) Harry thinks he was close
Oscar- (Chelsea) Offered twice the wages
Willian- (Chelsea) Mourinho getting at AVB
Moutinho- (Monaco) Agents+ last day nonsense
Depay- (PSV) could club have changed PSV's mind about holding on another year.

Not sure some oil club scum offering double your money counts as Levy letting them get away.

True. It was more a case of who might have been, until head turned

In most of those cases it was probably too late already unless we'd offered them insane wages. They'll talk to us and string us along while waiting for a bigger club to come in. With greedy agents around we can't keep it quiet either.

Some of those are extremely speculative to claim to blame on Levy. Hazard, Oscar, WIllian and Depay for sure. The only "style" that would avoid those kinds of situations would be to just not go for any top class targets ever. This is life for a club at our level in football, we can't always get the targets we go for.

I also have to say that most clubs have these targets they failed to get. Liverpool fans apparently think they could have signed Ronaldo, United could have signed Bale... etc etc... Levy has been at the club almost 15 years, it would be absolutely shocking if there weren't a handful of players that "got away" regardless of style.

We've also "missed out" on some players that perhaps would have proven to be flops thanks to Levy's "style". Just fudging bring him in was said about Leandro Damiao just as a quick example, how many now think that Levy should have just spent the £20-25m for him?

You have been reading to many flimflam storys in the press and believing all the ITK gonad*s.

In fairness guys. It was my first thread, and there's not much going on. It wasn't really mean't to be based on ITK rumors or the like. More a get in fast and pay what they want, as in Modric, Bale and even Dembele who could we have got.

Oscar was quite close until Chelsea doubled his wage.
Hazard was also do-able

In fairness guys. It was my first thread, and there's not much going on. It wasn't really mean't to be based on ITK rumors or the like. More a get in fast and pay what they want, as in Modric, Bale and even Dembele who could we have got.

Hazard was also do-able

Hazard ws never do-able the moment Harry took his eye off the job and we missed out on CL football. That was when it stopped being do-able. Nothing to do with levy.

Hazard ws never do-able the moment Harry took his eye off the job and we missed out on CL football. That was when it stopped being do-able. Nothing to do with levy.
Probably right. I suspect that'll be the one that makes Levy's memoirs. Harry had put in the hard yards and let him get away

Without Chelsea and City in cheat mode we would most likely had several runs in the CL by now, gotten most of the players listed above and possibly won the league. The problem isn't Levy.

Wasn't that the same time we 'tried' for LLorente and Rossi as well, all on the final day, all with supposed 30 million pound bids that were nowhere in evidence over the entirety of the summer and January windows in a season where our drawing power was at its highest (CL)? Even back then there were tons of people who saw through that patently risible attempt at trying to convince the fans that the manager was 'backed'. My, oh my. :(

Wasn't that the same time we 'tried' for LLorente and Rossi as well, all on the final day, all with supposed 30 million pound bids that were nowhere in evidence over the entirety of the summer and January windows in a season where our drawing power was at its highest (CL)? Even back then there were tons of people who saw through that patently risible attempt at trying to convince the fans that the manager was 'backed'. My, oh my. :(

Another dig at Levy???

How can it be possible from Dubai?? My, oh my! :rolleyes:

Hazard was also do-able

Modric, Bale and Dembele were not really "get in fast an pay what they want" deals. In all those deals speculation was ongoing for quite a while, bigger clubs almost certainly knew that we were completing deals. But they decided not to move for those players for various reasons. We did very little different to what we did when going for Willian for example from what I can tell from the outside.

As the Willian example illustrates there is no "get in fast an pay what they want" option available. Agents and other clubs will contact the bigger clubs and sound them out for a better deal. This is the reality we have to deal with.

No issues with starting the thread or a discussion. But when you do create a thread like this I think you have to expect opposing opinions...

Where I think we perhaps can beat out bigger clubs is with young talented players that are some way away from making an immediate first team impact. Thanks to our now rather excellent looking record of developing young players - both home grown and bought early, and with a manager with a reputation for giving young players a chance I think there's actually a chance that a player like Dele Alli could have chosen us over Chelsea/City and perhaps even United. Or in the specific case of Alli, with us making a move in January he was perfectly happy to make the move and felt no need to wait for the summer to see if a bigger club came in.

Without Chelsea and City in cheat mode we would most likely had several runs in the CL by now, gotten most of the players listed above and possibly won the league. The problem isn't Levy.

This gets overlooked way too often. Just how far Levy has taken us from where we were when he took over is masked by Chelsea and City blowing billion pound amounts to stay or get ahead.

Bobby Convey. If Levy had fought the government over Bobby Convey we wouldn't be sitting having this conversation in a universe recognisable as the one we inhabit today. That transfer occured when we were at a crossroads. Those chances don't come along every week you know.

Back