• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

PFA Team of the Year

markysimmo

Johnny nice-tits
Chelsea and Tottenham have both had four of their players named in the Professional Footballers' Association Premier League team of the year.

Defenders Gary Cahill and David Luiz and midfielders N'Golo Kante and Eden Hazard are Chelsea's representatives.

Tottenham's quartet are defenders Kyle Walker and Danny Rose, midfielder Dele Alli and forward Harry Kane.

Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, Liverpool's Sadio Mane and Everton forward Romelu Lukaku are also picked.

The divisional teams of the year have also been announced ahead of the 44th PFA Awards, which are being held in London on Sunday, 23 April.

The PFA Players' Player of the Year and PFA Young Player of the Year will also be revealed at the event.

The votes were provided by PFA members from 100 clubs from the Premier League, Football League and Women's Super League.

_95709613_premier-league-xi-6dbd09d5cbf98203a4e4dc29016c3017.jpg

How did mane get in before Eriksen? Whatever your slant the numbers don't lie

Our four are English, and young.

Our four average a lot cheaper than Cheatski

Poch must be Manager otY

The whole voting systems a joke really isn't it? Sanchez made player of the year shortlist and his direct position rival Mane didn't, yet Mane is in team of the year?

The entire vote and process is a mess.

Read how Keown remembers it at Arsenal and realise how worthless the whole award is

"I was the PFA representative at Arsenal for five years but gathering the players’ nominations for the awards was always a nightmare.

People were not interested, couldn’t be bothered to sit down and write out their nominations and I spent far too much time trying to pin people down. Out of a squad of 22, you’d do well to get half that number of nominations. It used to amaze me how uninterested a lot of the players were.

To get people interested, I would eventually write up a shortlist of players in each position on a whiteboard and try to get people to choose. In most cases though, I’d pick my team and a lot of the others would just copy it. For some, I filled out their forms for them and they’d just sign at the bottom.

Some of them didn’t like the fact they couldn’t vote for team-mates, while others would make sure they didn’t put in a rival for a place in the team of the year.

The English players took most interest because they had grown up following it. Last season there were six Englishmen in the team of the season, a surprising amount.

The timing of it all is not great. The voting forms come out not long after Christmas, when there is too much football left to play. Usually the best players rise to the top at the key moments in the final weeks of the season."

So don't be surprised that Alderweireld who was injured for most of October, November and December didn't get voted for by people filling in a form in January.

For it to carry any weight going forward it has to be automated and done later as such

The Mane thing is very valid and highlights the flaws. He is in ahead of Sanchez who is apparently the best 6 players in the league

Similarly Lukaku over Zlatan (which I agree with by the way)

Just doesn't make sense but then everything I've read about the voting highlights that

WHO CARES?! :D I've always thought things like these are useless. I can understand why players would be uninterested.
Team of the year will be whoever wins the league. As always.

I agree. It is a bit of a fun distraction at most and certainly nothing to get worked up about.

The entire vote and process is a mess.

Read how Keown remembers it at Arsenal and realise how worthless the whole award is

"I was the PFA representative at Arsenal for five years but gathering the players’ nominations for the awards was always a nightmare.

People were not interested, couldn’t be bothered to sit down and write out their nominations and I spent far too much time trying to pin people down. Out of a squad of 22, you’d do well to get half that number of nominations. It used to amaze me how uninterested a lot of the players were.

To get people interested, I would eventually write up a shortlist of players in each position on a whiteboard and try to get people to choose. In most cases though, I’d pick my team and a lot of the others would just copy it. For some, I filled out their forms for them and they’d just sign at the bottom.

Some of them didn’t like the fact they couldn’t vote for team-mates, while others would make sure they didn’t put in a rival for a place in the team of the year.

The English players took most interest because they had grown up following it. Last season there were six Englishmen in the team of the season, a surprising amount.

The timing of it all is not great. The voting forms come out not long after Christmas, when there is too much football left to play. Usually the best players rise to the top at the key moments in the final weeks of the season."

So don't be surprised that Alderweireld who was injured for most of October, November and December didn't get voted for by people filling in a form in January.
They may as well do it based on opta or whoscored and get some sponsorship out of it. At least it would be up to date as well.

Well done to Kane, Alli, Rose and Walker for being named in the PFA Team Of The Year. But it is laughable that Alderweireld or Vertonghen is not included despite having the best defensive record in the league.

Back