• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Penalties

SUIYHA

Scott Parker
We've had a lot of them this season haven't we? Only 21 games in and we've already had 8 awarded to us. I've done some research, only in three of the seasons since our "watershed" 05/06 season have seen us awarded more than 8 penalties in all competitions ALL SEASON. We're only at the start of December. Our record in that time period is 13 penalties (8 scored, 5 missed in the 10/11 season).

In the last two months we've had more than one every other game (8 in 15 matches) and we've been awarded 6 penalties in our last 8 games, I can't remember seeing anything like that before for any team.

To give some context to that, we averaged a penalty around once every 11.85 games in the other seasons. Even if you remove the outlier of the 2012/13 season where we only had one in 54 games, you're still looking at a penalty once every 7.63. This season, we're now getting one every 2.63 games.

Anything to read into that? I think the only one that's attracted any real controversy was yesterday. Maybe a few whinges from biased Arsenal fans too. But it does look like we're getting a lot more than usual. Luckily for us, Kane and Janssen are very good at them.

Only thing to read into that is teams that dominate games get penalties as the opposition end up fouling them

Also it helps if you play the ball into the area more

Arse when they moaned they never got them were a side that played on the edge of the area all the time

At the start of the season refs were told to deal with grappling more proactively. But am wondering if on top of that they've also been advised to err on the side of giving the attacking side the benefit of the doubt more often? After all it makes for more goals as well as hopefully reducing the number of cynical fouls in the box.

Of course it can backfire when they get it wrong - as with Dele's pen yesterday - but they're never ever going to get every decision 100% right anyway.

LIverpool conceded their first of the season today, though it should have been their 2nd from earlier in the same match.

I wonder if, after Dele's penalty, referees may be more cautious about awarding us penalties. As they subconsciously think that perhaps our player had dived to attempt to win a penalty. And it's not the first soft penalty that we've had this season.

I wonder if, after Dele's penalty, referees may be more cautious about awarding us penalties. As they subconsciously think that perhaps our player had dived to attempt to win a penalty. And it's not the first soft penalty that we've had this season.

They might think twice when it comes to Alli but shouldn't have ramifications beyond that.

We've had a lot of them this season haven't we? Only 21 games in and we've already had 8 awarded to us. I've done some research, only in three of the seasons since our "watershed" 05/06 season have seen us awarded more than 8 penalties in all competitions ALL SEASON. We're only at the start of December. Our record in that time period is 13 penalties (8 scored, 5 missed in the 10/11 season).

In the last two months we've had more than one every other game (8 in 15 matches) and we've been awarded 6 penalties in our last 8 games, I can't remember seeing anything like that before for any team.

To give some context to that, we averaged a penalty around once every 11.85 games in the other seasons. Even if you remove the outlier of the 2012/13 season where we only had one in 54 games, you're still looking at a penalty once every 7.63. This season, we're now getting one every 2.63 games.

Anything to read into that? I think the only one that's attracted any real controversy was yesterday. Maybe a few whinges from biased Arsenal fans too. But it does look like we're getting a lot more than usual. Luckily for us, Kane and Janssen are very good at them.

I don't think there's any doubt that teams towards the top of the table definitely get the rub of the green more than the less glamorous clubs. Yes there's the argument that the better teams are in the box more and attack more, but you only have to look at some of the joke penalties that Arsenal and United got on their heyday to realise the refs favour the top sides, I'd say the mind games that Fergie and Wenger played about never getting any decisions was a factor.

Love the way Kane missed a couple earlier on in his career and you know he then spent hours training and now never looks like missing one, hard and in the corner don't get stopped.

They are becoming a little predictable as to which side and fact they're always low, so there may be a concern that the keeper will start to correctly predict which side…but thankfully he hits them with such force and accuracy that they become un-saveable anyway!

Any figures easily producible for the other top 5 teams (+Liverpool)?

be interested to see how it all stacks up with reputation and success.

Love the way Kane missed a couple earlier on in his career and you know he then spent hours training and now never looks like missing one, hard and in the corner don't get stopped.
He was truly atrocious at pens when he broke through. Weak, pathetic scoops at the centre of goal reminiscent of Adebayor.

Now he really reminds me of Lampard and Gerrard. He's obviously not quite on their level (yet?), but they nearly always pinged it straight into the inside of the side netting. Those pens are bascially impossible to save, and Kane is slowly mastering their art.

Any figures easily producible for the other top 5 teams (+Liverpool)?

be interested to see how it all stacks up with reputation and success.

Not easily...

He was truly atrocious at pens when he broke through. Weak, pathetic scoops at the centre of goal reminiscent of Adebayor.

Now he really reminds me of Lampard and Gerrard. He's obviously not quite on their level (yet?), but they nearly always pinged it straight into the inside of the side netting. Those pens are bascially impossible to save, and Kane is slowly mastering their art.

I have never really understood why players miss as many penalties as they do. These guys are professionals paid thousands of pounds to kick footballs around, with a clear run up they should be able to hit the same spot at power from 12 yards pretty much every single time. If you don't practice penalties specifically but you still play professional football then you should still be able to put the ball where the keeper can't reach it the vast majority of the time, but if you do practice penalties then I don't really think there's an excuse for having any less than a 95% success rate TBH.

Back