• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paying for Online Newspapers

Mr_B

Niko Kranjcar
I really like reading the Guardian and the New York Times but I can't bring myself to "contribute" or pay for the NYT (its so easy to get past their free article "block" anyway).

Does anybody here pay for news/read news anymore/rely on Facebook for updates?

I'd be interested in seeing a single subscripton/multiple outlet model.

I only read certain parts of a few newspapers - I rarely look at reviews, comment, etc. and spend most of my time on the lead stories and financial sections. There isn't one newspaper I read cover to cover so I don't really want to spend money on a load of different ones for a fraction of the content.

I only read certain parts of a few newspapers - I rarely look at reviews, comment, etc. and spend most of my time on the lead stories and financial sections. There isn't one newspaper I read cover to cover so I don't really want to spend money on a load of different ones for a fraction of the content.
I think this will be the future in some form. Subscription based, pay per article, probably both - I can imagine a solution where you subscribe to articles from different areas of interest, and from your choice of all/most news outlets. And with a rating system, which will (hopefully) promote the best articles/good journalism. And it must be affordable, of course. For individual articles, perhaps with gradual pricing; the older the story is, the cheaper it gets. Every tenth one free, etc.

I very much think this is doable, but the key will be to have as many media companies as possible on board, to really make it worthwhile for readers.

i'm not sure the a la cart model would work for journalism

it's kinda like the problem with tv, but not the same endgame hopefully, the current model works because we overpay for sport and movies, in turn they bundle crappy extra channels which are funded partly from monthly subscriptions as well as their own ad funding

obviously if enough people say "fudge that channel and fudge £70 a month, here's £30 for the PL and £15 for the CL, thats all I want this month" then it could work, they'd probably increase their subscriber base and we are not really losing anything of value

if people only pay for a paper to cover sport and celebrity gossip then who is going to keep politicians honest and highlight abuse of power?

we need proper independent journalism, possibly more than ever, we need to pay people to work on this stuff irrelevant of page impressions and published bylines (woodward and bernstein wouldn't last a week these days), the only way we'll get that is by getting back into the habit of paying for it

(i've just talked myself into paying for a subscription)

I really like reading the Guardian and the New York Times but I can't bring myself to "contribute" or pay for the NYT (its so easy to get past their free article "block" anyway).

Does anybody here pay for news/read news anymore/rely on Facebook for updates?

I've got subscriptions to the Guardian, FT and NYT. I decided to put my hand in my pocket when I moved away from buying physical newspapers. I find myself increasingly getting more of my opinion and analysis pieces from bloggers and journalists publishing through other channels though.

I really like Medium and there are some good writers there. I wonder whether you could see newspapers making some content available through a channel like that on a subscription basis.

I've got subscriptions to the Guardian, FT and NYT. I decided to put my hand in my pocket when I moved away from buying physical newspapers. I find myself increasingly getting more of my opinion and analysis pieces from bloggers and journalists publishing through other channels though.

Same, I sub to Guardian, Times and NY Times, as much to support them and proper journos as anything...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

its 5 years in now, they've slashed their workforce and tried to bring in a paid membership system, how that money will get divided up and distributed to the content producers is far from transparent, at least they are trying to take things in that direction

it would be great if someone could nail it as the ad supported system is bound to collapse at some point (the deck has just announced they are closing their ad service for independent online publishers as revenue has dropped dramatically, they attribute this to the better return rate achieved on social media)

the technology has changed but the problem really isn't much different to that suffered by newspapers and magazines, give it a decade and podcasts will go the same way I expect

I can see in a few years time all local newspapers be free,the mirror group are sweeping up local newspapers and are boosting their online presence to the detriment of print. They owe the western mail here in Wales plus they've just taken over a local paper in Swansea. They've closed down most of the local paper and putting the same articles in each paper now to cut costs,the online site is just a mish mash of articles in between loads of adverts that pop up so annoyingly.

Someone should start a website where a team sift through online news/blogs/articles etc. early every morning, and then put it together as an online newspaper. That way they're not restricted to certain reporters, who have to write an article even if they feel there's nothing to write about, and the content is all killer, no filler.
Surely hits and advertising is the only way for online newspapers to make a profit, rather than charging a fee for stuff you can read for nothing elsewhere?

How please share

ooh, well, this may upset milo, steff and get me sued but all you have to do is use different browsers, different computers/phones, turn on "private Browsing", delete cookies, I could even mention using VPN's but thats only for the really smart kids ;)

ooh, well, this may upset milo, steff and get me sued but all you have to do is use different browsers, different computers/phones, turn on "private Browsing", delete cookies, I could even mention using VPN's but thats only for the really smart kids ;)

Never used a VPN in my life [emoji41]...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back