• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Official MKII- Paulinho

why do you think Juventus are in for Paulinho rather than Sidwell/Delph?

do you think maybe that there's more to the player than what you have seen of him over the last 12 months?

First of all we don't know that Juve are in for him but I believe a lot of it is down to appearance and perception. The English player has to do a lot more than the Brazilian to overcome that prejudice. As for what we've seen over the past 12 months, well I watched him at the Confeds when he was supposed to be this great player and I felt exactly the same way I do now so I don't think I'll ever rate or get him. I only have to see him for 10 seconds receiving the ball to know all I need to, it's so uncoordinated and rough, not what you'd expect from such a highly rated Brazilian international footballer.

i should have added in the 'hypothetical' nature of the Juventus interest - not sure how long a go the Confeds were but was including them in my 12 month time frame. chances are that clubs will have been aware of him prior to the Confeds hence their interest in him even after a 'poor' season with us.

Id also imagine scouts have a little more information on a players game to game performance than match footage on a laptop monitor ;)

i should have added in the 'hypothetical' nature of the Juventus interest - not sure how long a go the Confeds were but was including them in my 12 month time frame. chances are that clubs will have been aware of him prior to the Confeds hence their interest in him even after a 'poor' season with us.

Id also imagine scouts have a little more information on a players game to game performance than match footage on a laptop monitor ;)

Honestly, what do you think of Paulinho? Maybe I just can't see it in him for some reason, whenever the ball comes to him it's like he's trying to trap an air hockey puck, just looks so uncomfortable on the ball, that's when he actually gets it anyway as he's usually terribly uninvolved. I think during these world cup games only Julio Cesar and Fred touched the ball less than Paulinho, that's not good for a central midfielder.

i don't think he's had a good season and agree with most of the criticisms that appear in this and the other thread - but i don't think it's fair to judge anyone on last season - especially those players who we signed last summer. i want to see how everyone performs in what will hopefully be a more settled environment under a manager who can build a team (hopefully MP is that man)

we've seen Vertonghen drop from one of the first names on everyone's team sheet in 12/13 to the top of their 'not fussed if sold' list at the end of 13/14 - if ever there was an example of how a player can under perform when there's so much instability in and around the team then this is one of the best.

I like most of you have been extremely unimpressed with him so far, but I always say you should give Brazilians at least 1 full season to adapt to life in England not just the Premier League. It gets dark at 4 o'clock in the winter, it's freezing cold and there's no beach to speak ok, can see why some of them struggle to adapt. Give him 1 more season then judge him I would say.

I didn't rate him when I watched him in the confeds cup, but thought our scouts must have seen something in him. But having seen him play all season and now in the WC, I still see very little quality. Described on TV the other night as a 'nothing player', can't say I disagree.
If there really is a £20m bid on the table, best to cut our loses and move him on.

I didn't rate him when I watched him in the confeds cup, but thought our scouts must have seen something in him. But having seen him play all season and now in the WC, I still see very little quality. Described on TV the other night as a 'nothing player', can't say I disagree.
If there really is a £20m bid on the table, best to cut our loses and move him on.

£20m would be a profit :)

In the confeds cup he was great and arguably better judges of players than those of us on a. Football forum agreed when giving him the vote for second best payer IIRC

He has shown glimpses but nothing more and for £17m I expected a lot more

I'd add though that he must be knackered and arguably low of confidence. He needs a break and not just a few weeks IMO. Hg also needs a manager to back him in a role and keep him there.... Or just sell him now!!!

It's a real conundrum and not an easy fix. Do we wait to see him become the player we hope he can be or do we dump him for a profit and bite the bullet. They key for me is what we do with the money if we sell.... If it's morn chadlis then hell no, but if it's schneiderlain or Griezmann (completely different player I know) then for me it's a no brainer

In the confeds cup he was great and arguably better judges of players than those of us on a. Football forum agreed when giving him the vote for second best payer IIRC

Sorry to pick on one sentence in your post, but this thread is a great example of what being a football fan is all about. We can go to matches and watch them on TV/Interweb, but beyond that, all we have to go on is press drivel and our own speculation. When I started out, we didn't even have the option of watching games on TV - if you didn't go to the match, all you had to go on was the report in the newspaper. But you still went down the pub and had discussions with your mates about things you couldn't possibly know. Shooting the sh*t about this stuff is what it's all about and always has been. It's fun. If we keep Paulinho and he comes good, I will be pleasantly surprised. But shocked.

Sorry for being philosophical - maybe I should have the absinthe or the joint after dinner, not both.

He has shown glimpses but nothing more and for £17m I expected a lot more

I'd add though that he must be knackered and arguably low of confidence. He needs a break and not just a few weeks IMO. Hg also needs a manager to back him in a role and keep him there.... Or just sell him now!!!

It's a real conundrum and not an easy fix. Do we wait to see him become the player we hope he can be or do we dump him for a profit and bite the bullet. They key for me is what we do with the money if we sell.... If it's morn chadlis then hell no, but if it's schneiderlain or Griezmann (completely different player I know) then for me it's a no brainer

Just out of interest, why are you saying Paulinho is a real conundrum and you seem willing to believe he's not a dud signing and is a good player, but just needs a break and/or some backing and coaching? At least that's the impression I get. But you are not willing to take the same view with Chadli, who was equally highly rated in Holland, as Paulinho was in Brazil from what I can gather and had a remarkable goal/assist output with Twente.

The comment you make about if you spend money on more Chadlis could also be made about more Paulinhos, more Lamelas, more Soldados or any signing we made last summer other than Eriksen as to be honest, none of them have impressed.

So you either are of the mind that they all deserve a second chance, or you are of the mind that they should all be cut loose, but to pick and choose who you think is worth saving out of the dissapointments seems a tad unfair to me. I think because Paulinho was a £17m glamour signing and a Brazilian international, he's been placed on the 'there must be a good player in there somewhere' list whereas because Chadli was cheaper and plays for Belgium, he's been placed on the "why the hell did we sign this waste of space?" list.

You reckon we could get Claise for £20 million? Really? He will have top table options after the WC and be a lot more than Paulie in value. Not a chance.

Paulinho had his suitors last season. Why on earth would Clasie be more than £20m. He's not English

Is being tired an excuse for bottling every 50/50 challenge you get into? Hell he bottles 70/30 challenges that are in his favour.

[video=youtube;0ZwLwUorUa0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0ZwLwUorUa0[/video]

talk about jekyl and hyde, this boy has something about him. ''d give him one more season under ponch.

So he had a decent game against Swansea and should have had a hat trick?

Just out of interest, why are you saying Paulinho is a real conundrum and you seem willing to believe he's not a dud signing and is a good player, but just needs a break and/or some backing and coaching? At least that's the impression I get. But you are not willing to take the same view with Chadli, who was equally highly rated in Holland, as Paulinho was in Brazil from what I can gather and had a remarkable goal/assist output with Twente.

The comment you make about if you spend money on more Chadlis could also be made about more Paulinhos, more Lamelas, more Soldados or any signing we made last summer other than Eriksen as to be honest, none of them have impressed.

So you either are of the mind that they all deserve a second chance, or you are of the mind that they should all be cut loose, but to pick and choose who you think is worth saving out of the dissapointments seems a tad unfair to me. I think because Paulinho was a £17m glamour signing and a Brazilian international, he's been placed on the 'there must be a good player in there somewhere' list whereas because Chadli was cheaper and plays for Belgium, he's been placed on the "why the hell did we sign this waste of space?" list.

Frankly, I'd give them both another chance this season if the manager fancies them to start with. I'd also give Soldado another chance obviously Lamela, I don't think Chiriches needs another chance as he was fine last season save the last month or so when he was injured/had nothing in front of him or beside him to help protect BUT if we need to count him as a 'second chance', then yup, him too. I think they all have a lot to offer (Chadli possibly has the least of all of them but TBH, I do see a player in there). Right now, given that we aren't CL and don't have the money for Draxlers, etc, I think we need to see what we can get specifically from these players. And I include Paulinho right in there.

I think someone like Fabian Delph is better than Paulinho. Even Steve Sidwell who just moved to Stoke on a free outperformed Paulinho last year, I really think that's his kind of level. Jonjo Shelvey another unfancied name who has more talent.

:ross:
Oh my life…listen mate, if that c unt Sidwell EVER signs for my Tottenham Hostpur FC, I'll suspend my support.

I know the point you're trying to make, so I'll make one in similar fashion.

IF we ARE going to have players who turn out to be ****t, then I would rather they looked like Paulinho than S****** or Fabian Delph. Let me just say if the pinnacle of his Spurs career turns out to be that sublime last minute back-heeled winner at Cardiff last September, that will surpass any number of cloggy ankle-breakers that S****** dispatched in his career…

Call me shallow, but that's the long and the short of it. Even our failures have to be sexier than others...

Back