• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Yup.8 goals in his first season in english football, with no break before coming here, and out part of the season with injury aswell.Id say that was pretty good.Not good enough for some on here though.Players like Hudd were adored though, even though he never ever got close to getting 8 goals, half that would have been an outstanding season for him.

Hudd was a deep lying playmaker. It wasn't his job to get forward and get on the end of runs, so he didn't. Paulinho was used as a box to box player, he should be getting on the end of those balls, even more so when he is played in a more attacking mid position as he was yesterday.

Players playing different roles will be rated different, it's hardly surprising.

As for the goal return, Dempsey scored more and was still widely criticised on here.

Re: Official MKII- Paulinho

Good. I'll keep that very much in mind. Just a small query - was Invisibilinho played yesterday. Cause the player that was on the field was all over the place, tackling, scoring and providing assists and key passes.

Id want to assess Paulinho this season under Poch, Im certain he could do well for us under his coaching (like most of our players to be fair) so would like him to stay. However, many will be of the opinion that he needs a few more performances like Thursday before they change their opinion which is fair enough....

Dembele can probably dribble his way into blind corners and fail to release the ball from just about any part of the pitch.

He can also glide past defenders with ease and Paulinho just doesn't have that in his locker. He might be able to create some space to get a shot off, but he is pretty close to useless in the middle of the park.

If he stays he needs to be played in almost a VDV type role where he's just off of Ade. He's too weak in the tackle, rarely receives a pass and turns forwards (ala Modric or even Bentaleb and Carroll. Something we have to have at CM), and he's just a defensive liability at CM.

Other than the one nice pass over the top for Naughton, I'm not sure what he did thats got everybody thinking more positively about him. Sure he worked harder, he kind of has to in this Poch system...

Good. I'll keep that very much in mind. Just a small query - was Invisibilinho played yesterday. Cause the player that was on the field was all over the place, tackling, scoring and providing assists and key passes.

One swallow does not a summer make.

He had a good game or two last season, but the question is can he do it against better teams consistently? Last season he couldn't.

Hudd was a deep lying playmaker. It wasn't his job to get forward and get on the end of runs, so he didn't. Paulinho was used as a box to box player, he should be getting on the end of those balls, even more so when he is played in a more attacking mid position as he was yesterday.

Players playing different roles will be rated different, it's hardly surprising.

As for the goal return, Dempsey scored more and was still widely criticised on here.

Hudd played int he middle 2 of a classic 4-4-2 with 2 wingers hugging the touchline.He was never really used as a deep lying playmaker.Definitely not under redknapp anyway.But where ever he played he just wasnt good enough full stop.
Dempsey played as a forward for us so dosn't really come into this.

Id want to assess Paulinho this season under Poch, Im certain he could do well for us under his coaching (like most of our players to be fair) so would like him to stay. However, many will be of the opinion that he needs a few more performances like Thursday before they change their opinion which is fair enough....

I think he will be back in our starting 11 within the next 2 or 3 prem games.

One season does not a bad player make

Or something like that :D

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it though. One swallow is a singular event. A season is made up of 40 or so different events in which he has had the chance to prove himself. :p

Though as in the previous post, if he stays and consistently performs against the top teams, then good.

I think he's the most likely to be sacrificed out of our senior midfielders, but if Poch thinks he can get him performing then let him try.

I'm not sure what he did thats got everybody thinking more positively about him.

Most would agree that it was a slightly better performance than his usual, but I think he only added +1 or +2 to people's general opinion

So if you started out thinking he was a 6 out of 10, you might now think he is an 8

But if you thought he was a 2 out of 10, you might now think he is a 3

The opposition was low quality and knew they were going out of Europe, so it was a pretty forgiving game to make your mark

Most would agree that it was a slightly better performance than his usual, but I think he only added +1 or +2 to people's general opinion

So if you started out thinking he was a 6 out of 10, you might now think he is an 8

The opposition was low quality and knew they were going out of Europe, so it was a pretty forgiving game to make your mark

So....

When Lamela came on the field in Cyprus and provided two assists, everyone was raving about him. No talk about swallows and summers last week.

But when Paulinho plays against the same team and gets an assist and an excellent goal... its a +1, slightly better performance

What b**** hypocrisy. If there is one thing I cannot stand on this board it's the bias and spacegoating of players

You will very seldom have people tracking back if they for months only sees the negative about a player - without keeping in mind all things that could be factors for a player not doing as well as "he should". Last season Paulie wasnt that good, but I watched him in the Confederations Cup, and saw a player who could be very important to us.
I was, like probably everyone else, not impressed after he got injured against Stoke. But still I would surely give him another chance - because he had to get used to a different league, country, style of play and language. On top of that he hadnt had a break for a year and a half.
Yesterday I saw a lot of what Paulinho could do for us. Not match fit yet, and not perfect. But he will create chances and score goals. And in Pochs high pressing game, and Paulinho match fit, I like to think we have got our own Lampard.

So....

When Lamela came on the field in Cyprus and provided two assists, everyone was raving about him. No talk about swallows and summers last week.

But when Paulinho plays against the same team and gets an assist and an excellent goal... its a +1, slightly better performance

What b**** hypocrisy. If there is one thing I cannot stand on this board it's the bias and spacegoating of players

It's not hypocrisy. Not even close.

Lamela hasn't appeared much for us, so people don't yet know what to think about him. So if he does good things, the general consensus will be positive. He starts the season about neutral in most people's book.

Paulinho has appeared for us lots and dissapointed along the way, so his performance last night was a start on cancelling out that disappointment. He starts the season in the negative in most people's book.

It would only be hypocrisy if both players had done exactly the same things last season.

It's not hypocrisy. Not even close.

Lamela hasn't appeared much for us, so people don't yet know what to think about him. So if he does good things, the general consensus will be positive. He starts the season about neutral in most people's book.

Paulinho has appeared for us lots and dissapointed along the way, so his performance last night was a start on cancelling out that disappointment. He starts the season in the negative in most people's book.

It would only be hypocrisy if both players had done exactly the same things last season.

In that case I suggest you take a leaf out of Poch's book:

"the past is the past; I am not interested in the past! I am only interested in the present and the future!!"

In that case I suggest you take a leaf out of Poch's book:

"the past is the past; I am not interested in the past! I am only interested in the present and the future!!"

'Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.' George Santayana.

Poch's sound bite is a load of crap. It's for the media, it sounds good, but practically it's idiocy to ignore the past.

Last edited:
Back