• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Official - Paulinho

So because someone hasn't learnt English fluently in under 9 months, whilst balancing a professional football career, and a family moving to a new continent you think we should just get rid of him?

He got a man of the match performance for keeping the best midfield of a generation in Iniesta and Xavi quiet, I think it could prove valuable to give him some time to adjust.

His season has been littered with injuries. Don't forget Sandro didn't exactly set the world ablaze when he first moved here, but given time and help adjusting, he is now a mainstay in our midfield. I'm not here saying Paulinho has had a great season, I like many others expected better. However I do feel it would be worthwhile for the manager to keep any grievances he has with his performance in training in house, not talk about his shortcomings publicly, potentially leaving him more isolated than he already feels.

It's not that he's struggled with the language or the change in football that I have a problem with, its his lazy work-rate, lazy attitude, shrugs of the shoulders, failure to track back, lazy passing, and his INTERVIEW DURING WHICH HE ADMITTED BEING LAZY LEARNING THE LANGUAGE!!!!!! The very fact I've written those words should write him off to any Spurs fan IMO. The guy is just lazy on and off the pitch.

It's weird because I heard Paulinho speak recently and his English was surprisingly decent. Bentaleb as well, he's pretty much fluent and even has a London twang.

Bentaleb has been in England for near enough four years I'd guess (came over from France at 15), wouldn't suprise me if he did have a Londinium accent

It's weird because I heard Paulinho speak recently and his English was surprisingly decent. Bentaleb as well, he's pretty much fluent and even has a London twang.

I thougt this as well, and from a very early post-match interview, I think after Swansea at home

Sadly, as much as I love him as a player, he has struggled this season/not been good enough consistently due to the turmoil and right now we have broken him/he has lost interest. I am hopeful a new manager can get him up and running, that is if he is still here...

FROM THE GRAUNIAD:

Paulinho interview: I'll prove my worth to Tottenham and Tim Sherwood
Midfielder is a regular for World Cup hosts Brazil, but has endured a difficult first season in the Premier League at Spurs

Fernando Duarte
The Guardian, Thursday 3 April 2014 18.00 EDT

Paulinho had heard about "rotation" before he moved to England last summer but he had never experienced it. Now he has, and he does not like it. At all. The Brazil international, who joined Spurs for a then record £17m, wants to play every possible game, every possible minute – and it has not happened this season.

But setbacks of this sort do not faze the 25-year-old, who looks certain to be included in Brazil's World Cup squad despite his lack of playing time at Spurs. He has already had his sliding-door moment, six years ago, when he decided to fight on rather than to quit football altogether. At that time he had already been to Europe once, playing for Vilnius in Lithuania and Lodz in Poland, and did not get a contract with a top-flight club in Brazil when he returned.

Any thoughts of giving up, however, were ended by his wife, Barbara. "She basically told me I would be letting down my family and everybody who had sacrificed something to support my dream of being a professional footballer. She was quite tough on me," he says. "I keep her words and the memories of the difficulties I have had in my career as a way to keep things in perspective when things don't go my way. In the meantime, I have to keep my head down and work hard."

And an improvement is needed, both for Paulinho and Spurs. It has been a tumultuous season at White Hart Lane and this week Tim Sherwood challenged Paulinho to "prove himself" in training in order to cement his place in the starting XI. "I pick players on what they are doing in training, not on reputations and price tags," the Tottenham manager said. "I can't be worrying if the Brazil national manager wants him to play every week. I am going to do what is best for Tottenham, not any national manager."

Paulinho is happy to work hard in training – and that is exactly what he is doing, but he does admit that it hurts not to be playing. "You are told before coming to Europe that big teams here quite often rotate players," he says. "I respect this culture but it is instinctive for me to get annoyed if I don't play every game. I always want to be on the pitch, much as I know it is my first season here and how difficult it is for a South American player to adapt to the demands of the Premier League."

Spurs' woes this season are well known in England but were only recently picked up by the Brazilian press. Headlines in the country spoke of Paulinho being relegated to the bench and although that sounds harsh considering he has been given an average 76 minutes per game for the club this season, the news reached the seleção command, already scarred by the goalkeeper Júlio César's descent into oblivion at Queens Park Rangers. Brazil's technical director, Carlos Alberto Parreira, duly met Paulinho last week to discuss the situation. "We obviously take into account what happens to a player at his club, but the most important is how they have behaved while at national team duty. Paulinho has been instrumental for us and we fully trust him to keep doing his job for Brazil," said Parreira.

Paulinho seems to have been singled out by Sherwood as part of his frustrations with the team's form. A point duly noted by the midfielder, who is clearly not comfortable to talk about the situation, although by no means does he back down from defending himself. "Sherwood is in charge and every manager has a style. It's his call if he wants to publicly criticise the players. It's up to each one of us to have a clean conscience about what they are doing for the team. I am very comfortable in saying that I have been working hard and trying to do what the club signed me for," explains the Brazilian, speaking at a Gatorade event aimed at showcasing the energy drink's collaboration with the seleção. "They have done a lot of tests with us in training sessions and matches, as well as the lab ahead of the World Cup to ensure we last the full 90 minutes."

Paulinho didn't imagine his first season at Spurs would be this testing. He walked into a club then managed by a fellow Portuguese speaker, André Villas-Boas, somebody who could certainly help his second shot at making his name in Europe, especially after guiding Spurs to a respectable fifth-place finish in the previous season. Villas-Boas, however, left Tottenham only four months after Paulinho's arrival and the Brazilian admits it wasn't the happiest of times. "It was hard to see André go. He was the guy who asked the club to sign me, so you have to be disappointed when that happens," he says. "Having said that, this is not a new situation in my life. It happened to me in Brazil at Corinthians, when the manager who had got me in the first team [Mano Menezes] left in 2010. The manager changes and you just have to make sure you show the [new] guy you mean business."

Tottenham are far from glory days with a top-four finish now unlikely following drubbings at the hands of Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool. "The manager and the fans have the right to be upset at the team," says Paulinho. "A team like ours should not have been routed in those games. But the players know it. It's just important we stand together at the bad times too. I can assure you nobody at the club will be happy if we fail to qualify for the Champions League. One of the reasons I came to this club was to help them play at the top level."

The Spurs man is all but guaranteed in Scolari's squad for the World Cup, although lately the fight for places in the group more interesting after Fernandinho received a well deserved call-up and thanked Scolari with an impressive display for Brazil against South Africa a month ago, when he tested by Scolari both in place of both Luiz Gustavo and Paulinho, the midfield stalwarts Scolari has been using for a while now. "Fernandinho is having a wonderful season at City and he has rightfully received a chance in the team. But his good form is not a problem for me – Big Phil is the one who has to be worried about having so many midfielders to choose from," Paulinho explains.

It looks like this one knows how to stand his ground.

FROM THE GRAUNIAD:

Paulinho interview: I'll prove my worth to Tottenham and Tim Sherwood
Midfielder is a regular for World Cup hosts Brazil, but has endured a difficult first season in the Premier League at Spurs

Fernando Duarte
The Guardian, Thursday 3 April 2014 18.00 EDT

Paulinho had heard about "rotation" before he moved to England last summer but he had never experienced it. Now he has, and he does not like it. At all. The Brazil international, who joined Spurs for a then record £17m, wants to play every possible game, every possible minute – and it has not happened this season.

But setbacks of this sort do not faze the 25-year-old, who looks certain to be included in Brazil's World Cup squad despite his lack of playing time at Spurs. He has already had his sliding-door moment, six years ago, when he decided to fight on rather than to quit football altogether. At that time he had already been to Europe once, playing for Vilnius in Lithuania and Lodz in Poland, and did not get a contract with a top-flight club in Brazil when he returned.

Any thoughts of giving up, however, were ended by his wife, Barbara. "She basically told me I would be letting down my family and everybody who had sacrificed something to support my dream of being a professional footballer. She was quite tough on me," he says. "I keep her words and the memories of the difficulties I have had in my career as a way to keep things in perspective when things don't go my way. In the meantime, I have to keep my head down and work hard."

And an improvement is needed, both for Paulinho and Spurs. It has been a tumultuous season at White Hart Lane and this week Tim Sherwood challenged Paulinho to "prove himself" in training in order to cement his place in the starting XI. "I pick players on what they are doing in training, not on reputations and price tags," the Tottenham manager said. "I can't be worrying if the Brazil national manager wants him to play every week. I am going to do what is best for Tottenham, not any national manager."

Paulinho is happy to work hard in training – and that is exactly what he is doing, but he does admit that it hurts not to be playing. "You are told before coming to Europe that big teams here quite often rotate players," he says. "I respect this culture but it is instinctive for me to get annoyed if I don't play every game. I always want to be on the pitch, much as I know it is my first season here and how difficult it is for a South American player to adapt to the demands of the Premier League."

Spurs' woes this season are well known in England but were only recently picked up by the Brazilian press. Headlines in the country spoke of Paulinho being relegated to the bench and although that sounds harsh considering he has been given an average 76 minutes per game for the club this season, the news reached the seleção command, already scarred by the goalkeeper Júlio César's descent into oblivion at Queens Park Rangers. Brazil's technical director, Carlos Alberto Parreira, duly met Paulinho last week to discuss the situation. "We obviously take into account what happens to a player at his club, but the most important is how they have behaved while at national team duty. Paulinho has been instrumental for us and we fully trust him to keep doing his job for Brazil," said Parreira.

Paulinho seems to have been singled out by Sherwood as part of his frustrations with the team's form. A point duly noted by the midfielder, who is clearly not comfortable to talk about the situation, although by no means does he back down from defending himself. "Sherwood is in charge and every manager has a style. It's his call if he wants to publicly criticise the players. It's up to each one of us to have a clean conscience about what they are doing for the team. I am very comfortable in saying that I have been working hard and trying to do what the club signed me for," explains the Brazilian, speaking at a Gatorade event aimed at showcasing the energy drink's collaboration with the seleção. "They have done a lot of tests with us in training sessions and matches, as well as the lab ahead of the World Cup to ensure we last the full 90 minutes."

Paulinho didn't imagine his first season at Spurs would be this testing. He walked into a club then managed by a fellow Portuguese speaker, André Villas-Boas, somebody who could certainly help his second shot at making his name in Europe, especially after guiding Spurs to a respectable fifth-place finish in the previous season. Villas-Boas, however, left Tottenham only four months after Paulinho's arrival and the Brazilian admits it wasn't the happiest of times. "It was hard to see André go. He was the guy who asked the club to sign me, so you have to be disappointed when that happens," he says. "Having said that, this is not a new situation in my life. It happened to me in Brazil at Corinthians, when the manager who had got me in the first team [Mano Menezes] left in 2010. The manager changes and you just have to make sure you show the [new] guy you mean business."

Tottenham are far from glory days with a top-four finish now unlikely following drubbings at the hands of Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool. "The manager and the fans have the right to be upset at the team," says Paulinho. "A team like ours should not have been routed in those games. But the players know it. It's just important we stand together at the bad times too. I can assure you nobody at the club will be happy if we fail to qualify for the Champions League. One of the reasons I came to this club was to help them play at the top level."

The Spurs man is all but guaranteed in Scolari's squad for the World Cup, although lately the fight for places in the group more interesting after Fernandinho received a well deserved call-up and thanked Scolari with an impressive display for Brazil against South Africa a month ago, when he tested by Scolari both in place of both Luiz Gustavo and Paulinho, the midfield stalwarts Scolari has been using for a while now. "Fernandinho is having a wonderful season at City and he has rightfully received a chance in the team. But his good form is not a problem for me – Big Phil is the one who has to be worried about having so many midfielders to choose from," Paulinho explains.

It looks like this one knows how to stand his ground.

So AVB asked the club to sign him? Can we lay the AVB never got any of the players he wanted claim to bed now?

So AVB asked the club to sign him? Can we lay the AVB never got any of the players he wanted claim to bed now?
assuming any of that is true then yes.

even if it werent all true i think the idea that AVB had next to no input or that he didnt sign off on players to get purchased is crazy

assuming any of that is true then yes.

even if it werent all true i think the idea that AVB had next to no input or that he didnt sign off on players to get purchased is crazy
The only players I have my doubts over (in terms of AVB ratifying completely are Lamela and Eriksen. I think there was some ITK from JJetset saying AVB didnt rate Eriksen and that appears to be bourne out in the little gametime they both experienced.

All the others you could definately see fitting into AVB's plans

The only players I have my doubts over (in terms of AVB ratifying completely are Lamela and Eriksen. I think there was some ITK from JJetset saying AVB didnt rate Eriksen and that appears to be bourne out in the little gametime they both experienced.

All the others you could definately see fitting into AVB's plans

There's only one thing you can say for certain about JJetset - anything he says is guaranteed not to be true.

Actually i'd say he's the only ITK worth paying attention to (armed with a pinch of salt)

I think you're out on your assumption by 1;)

He got a couple of things right 3? seasons ago and nothing since - literally nothing. In fact, he's used the scattergun approach constantly and still probably done worse than the law of averages suggests that pure guesswork could do.

For a Brazilian, I don't really see any standout attributes. He's not particularly good at anything that you would expect a Brazilian to be good at. If he was english, he's still not particularly good at anything you would expect an Englishman to be good at.

From what I've seen so far, I don't rate him. However, he did play in the copa libertadores in summer, then joined us for pre-season so he hasn't really had any kind of break. So I'm willing to give him another season.

My concern is that he's going to play in the WC this summer and still won't have a break. If the reason for his bad performances are because he's burnt out (still not convinced he's not just not very good), then he's going to be just as bad because if anything, he's going to be more knackered.

I think you're out on your assumption by 1;)

He got a couple of things right 3? seasons ago and nothing since - literally nothing. In fact, he's used the scattergun approach constantly and still probably done worse than the law of averages suggests that pure guesswork could do.

What was his PDO? ;)

I'm as in the know as jjetset

at some point in the future we are gonna sign that guy who wears those boots, one of ours who used to be a youth player at a European club will leave, we will receive money in return

I obviously need to protect my source so can't name names but I will say that the player we are signing next has worn a number on his back at his current club

I think we have known for a while that Paulinho was an AVB buy. Papers spoke about it back when AVB got the sack, and he was rumoured to be heading our way before Baldini ever stepped through the door.

Obviously. AVB also wanted Soldado, was his 2nd choice after David Villa. I'm pretty convinced that he wanted all the players we bought. I believe that Baldini probably recommended Lamela, Chiriches, and maybe Eriksen, but Baldini's job isn't to identify players to buy but to complete the deals imo.

Back