• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our left side...

the dza

Christian Ziege
did we have one today?

Here's some helpful tips for AVB:

1. Don't play 2 right-footed players down the left (he seems to be getting this now, for league games at least).

2. Don't play 2 slow players down the same flank; it's too easy to nullify. It'll probably take him another 3 months to get this, but maybe the penny will drop sooner.

i dont think its a pace issue. i think its more to do with moving the ball quickly and occupying spaces quickly.....i mean , city manage fine with nasri and kolarov when they play together.

in arsenal i wouldnt say their players are fast either, and alot of times players like gibbs dont really go about sprinting al over he players

they have nippy players and players that are in the right places at the right time

i just think AVB is a good coach. but he isnt in the same class as the best ones

Gibbs has pace though, which is always a threat. Kolarov is almost a winger playing at left-back and Nasri is much more mobile than Sig, imo (though in terms of pure pace, perhaps not much in it).

Look how much better Vertonghen was against Everton. Having Lennon ahead of him (who didnt even play that well) gave him room to play imo. Today, Saudi Sportswashing Machine could go tight to Sig and push up into the space infront of Vertonghen. No threat of anyone doing anything with the space they might leave.

There's certainly a reason why the players had much more room to attack on the right, and it's because we carried the threat of pace over there.

we miss Rose, or at least an attacking full back. Especially if we're going to be playing Sigurdsson or Chadli on the left.

Personally, I'd rather we play Townsend on the left, just tell him to attack the full back, beat his man and whip the ball in the box. Gives us a bit of natural width which we miss too. I mean we need to start getting Lamela into our team in the league, we're 11 games in now and our record signing can't come onto the pitch in games for some reason, he needs to start, get an understanding with Walker down his right handside and the likes of Soldado and Eriksen when he's coming inside.

we miss Rose, or at least an attacking full back. Especially if we're going to be playing Sigurdsson or Chadli on the left.

Personally, I'd rather we play Townsend on the left, just tell him to attack the full back, beat his man and whip the ball in the box. Gives us a bit of natural width which we miss too. I mean we need to start getting Lamela into our team in the league, we're 11 games in now and our record signing can't come onto the pitch in games for some reason, he needs to start, get an understanding with Walker down his right handside and the likes of Soldado and Eriksen when he's coming inside.

Agreed.

Im not a fan of Siggy on the left - much rather a proper wide player there

Agreed. I don't think he likes playing there either. Has he ever played on the left anywhere else by the way? He never played there for Swansea, pretty sure he doesn't play there for Iceland and never really saw much of him at Hoffenheim or Reading. Or is he simply out there because he can cut in and has a good shot on him, because I feel that is the only reason, which is a shame really, because I think he has potential.

We're obsessed on here with what happening out wide.
We should ****ing attacking through the middle using our central midfielders like a real team.

There's no point in relying on crosses into area from out wide because we have Defoe and Soldado as our forward options. Soldado prefers balls played into area fro him to run into and Defoe prefers playing against ****e team midweek. Neither is gonna put away the crosses you are all crying out for.

Agreed. I don't think he likes playing there either. Has he ever played on the left anywhere else by the way? He never played there for Swansea, pretty sure he doesn't play there for Iceland and never really saw much of him at Hoffenheim or Reading. Or is he simply out there because he can cut in and has a good shot on him, because I feel that is the only reason, which is a shame really, because I think he has potential.

agree with all that

id even think of giving paulinho a rest and playing Sig in that midfield position....anywhere but on that left](*,)

We're obsessed on here with what happening out wide.
We should ****ing attacking through the middle using our central midfielders like a real team.

There's no point in relying on crosses into area from out wide because we have Defoe and Soldado as our forward options. Soldado prefers balls played into area fro him to run into and Defoe prefers playing against ****e team midweek. Neither is gonna put away the crosses you are all crying out for.

Threats or outlets in wide areas create space centrally. The more areas of the pitch where the opposition has to think about the defensive side of their game, the more threat the team carries collectively. If we want to get the best from our central, attacking players, then we need to allow them some space to play in. It's not about swinging in crosses (although it'd be nice if we had that option amongst our forwards), it's about carrying the threat of being able to get in behind the opposition. If the opposing team can easily shut-down one flank, the middle becomes more congested and harder for our players to play.

Also, I think Sig has been good wide left, but it's better for balance that he has a quicker left-footed player behind him for natural width.

Barca don't put in loads of crosses, but they can get to the opposition by-line loads and they have two full-backs on either side who provide lots of width for the team and stretch the game. Then, all the wizards they have in central areas can do their thing.

agree with all that

id even think of giving paulinho a rest and playing Sig in that midfield position....anywhere but on that left](*,)

I can't believe AVB - who had Moutinho at Porto and wanted Modric at Chelsea - hasn't once played a creative ball playing midfielder in central midfield since he's been our manager. (Unless of course you count Huddlestone), I mean Holtby, Eriksen or even Siggy could probably play that role next to Sandro allowing us room up field for one of them to also play off of Soldado with Lamela on the right and a natural left sider on the left.

Probably not the time in his career to throw him into a position he's not use to/comfortable in.

For me a proper LB is far more of an issue than having any of Siggy, Chadli, Eriksen or Lennon on the left.

Probably not the time in his career to throw him into a position he's not use to/comfortable in.

For me a proper LB is far more of an issue than having any of Siggy, Chadli, Eriksen or Lennon on the left.

I am pretty sure he has played left midfield EVERY team he has played for except QPR and then this season for us? I always remembered him on the left for us when Harry played him in Europa League games, all the time.

I am pretty sure he has played left midfield EVERY team he has played for except QPR and then this season for us? I always remembered him on the left for us when Harry played him in Europa League games, all the time.

yep he always played on the left......i remember one game in Ireland in the EL when he was on the left and curled in a beauty with his right foot

[video=dailymotion;xn1dym]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xn1dym_andros-townsend-s-goal-against-shamrock_sport[/video]

I can't believe AVB - who had Moutinho at Porto and wanted Modric at Chelsea - hasn't once played a creative ball playing midfielder in central midfield since he's been our manager. (Unless of course you count Huddlestone), I mean Holtby, Eriksen or even Siggy could probably play that role next to Sandro allowing us room up field for one of them to also play off of Soldado with Lamela on the right and a natural left sider on the left.

If you play 4231 with erksen in the 2 - who do you play centrally in the 3?

Ultimately i want to see a front 3 of Soldado Lamela and Townsend/Chadli with Sandro Dembele and Eriksen behind - 433 or 4231

I thought Vertonghen did fine today.

Sig was rather anonymous, but he often is. He's been getting goals this season, but he's rarely been properly involved in our buildup play.

Threats or outlets in wide areas create space centrally. The more areas of the pitch where the opposition has to think about the defensive side of their game, the more threat the team carries collectively. If we want to get the best from our central, attacking players, then we need to allow them some space to play in. It's not about swinging in crosses (although it'd be nice if we had that option amongst our forwards), it's about carrying the threat of being able to get in behind the opposition. If the opposing team can easily shut-down one flank, the middle becomes more congested and harder for our players to play.

Also, I think Sig has been good wide left, but it's better for balance that he has a quicker left-footed player behind him for natural width.

Barca don't put in loads of crosses, but they can get to the opposition by-line loads and they have two full-backs on either side who provide lots of width for the team and stretch the game. Then, all the wizards they have in central areas can do their thing.

At the moment we have nothing coming throught the middle we have no threat there that why Saudi Sportswashing Machine were able to put 3 men on Townsend at time today.
The biggest attacking weakness in our side is the middle not the left side.
But there's no thread on that because we're obsessed with wingers on here.

From what ive read Eriksen played in the middle 3 for Ajax - not in an advanced 3 in the way we set up - but then is there much difference between 433 and 4231?

I thought Vertonghen did fine today.

Sig was rather anonymous, but he often is. He's been getting goals this season, but he's rarely been properly involved in our buildup play.

I think asides from the goals he hasn't done enough to command a starting position

Back