• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our high line

I saw your Bielsa post, it was a great post. I mentioned Bielsa a few months ago!

Cheers Mumorn.

I know we have Diego with us too!

Time for the Bielsa-campaign to get going. Combined I'm sure we could get literally dozens of #Bielsa4Spurs tweets going at the Spurs official account. Ok, I don't actually have a twitter account yet, but I'm confident I can figure it out. I imagine marching in the streets, ok I live in Norway and it might not quite have the desired effect, but we can make it work I say!

Of course, it is idiotic especially with slow defenders. If anyone saw Brendan Rodgers post match interview he says that during the week they explicitly worked on getting midfielders running past our defenders to exploit the high line. West Ham did the same thing, didn't even bother playing with strikers just had midfielders charging forward from deeper and our defense didn't know what to do about it.

The only time I can think of when it is wise to play a high line is against a team like Stoke that generally plays a long ball game with slower forwards. If a defender hits a long ball to Crouch, it is far less dangerous if they are pressed into their own half and Crouch is receiving the ball on the half way line, because it's not like he's going to flick it around the defender and break through one on one. But against forwards like Suarez and Aguero it is ****ing idiotic to give them that much space behind the defense.

And in attack it gives our players less room to operate. I thought that was obvious when we dropped the line deeper against United, Fulham, and Sunderland, we were a lot better in an attacking sense and then he goes and repeats the same mistake against Liverpool. Oh well, it cost him his job. Only has himself to blame for that.

Of course, it is idiotic especially with slow defenders. If anyone saw Brendan Rodgers post match interview he says that during the week they explicitly worked on getting midfielders running past our defenders to exploit the high line. West Ham did the same thing, didn't even bother playing with strikers just had midfielders charging forward from deeper and our defense didn't know what to do about it.

The only time I can think of when it is wise to play a high line is against a team like Stoke that generally plays a long ball game with slower forwards. If a defender hits a long ball to Crouch, it is far less dangerous if they are pressed into their own half and Crouch is receiving the ball on the half way line, because it's not like he's going to flick it around the defender and break through one on one. But against forwards like Suarez and Aguero it is ****ing idiotic to give them that much space behind the defense.

And in attack it gives our players less room to operate. I thought that was obvious when we dropped the line deeper against United, Fulham, and Sunderland, we were a lot better in an attacking sense and then he goes and repeats the same mistake against Liverpool. Oh well, it cost him his job. Only has himself to blame for that.

I think this is a myth - West Ham's first goal was from a corner, second goal was when we were pretty deep and gave the ball away dangerously in our own half, and third goal was when we were 2-0 down and desperate to get a goal back - any team would have a high line in that situation.

Anyone know which almost 100% identical game I am talking about here? In putting five past us Liverpool employed two simple strategies. First they absolutely tore into us with a frenzy from the off, kicking at our heels and making sure we had no time to settle on the ball. Secondly, once in possession, they lobbed the ball over our high back line for their forwards to race into the wide open spaces and attack our goal at will to complete a 5-0 rout.

Over to you.

Was it Basel? Can't remember exactly how they dingdonged us, but they dingdonged us very hard.

Was it Basel? Can't remember exactly how they dingdonged us, but they dingdonged us very hard.
No, it was Liverpool U21 5-0 Tottenham Hotspur U21 on October 7, 2013. Younger teams, but identical in every other way, most notably the exceptional intensity with which Inglethorpe's side harried and pressed us and the speed with which they passed the ball by, over and through us into the open spaces behind our back line.

I don't think the high line in itself was the problem. Barca play a high line for example with not so pacey defenders at the back. It's the high line coupled with a lack of effective pressing that caused a lot of our problems. You can't have one without the other. Barca have set of rules they apply for pressing the opposition immediately after loosing the ball and if they fail to win the ball back within so many seconds then they drop deeper into a defensive shape.

I don't think Spurs were ever that fantastic at the pressing side of things but coupled with some good last ditch defending by the keeper and speedy fullbacks it was good enough to give us a fairly impressive defensive record over a period. Once our pressing game waned then the opposition could look up and bypass our high line on a regular basis.

Going forward, well that is a different story. I think AVB was too rigid in his approach and didn't mix it up enough. It's in attack you need to let the players off the the leash a little. Our movement was appalling in the final third but I guess we'll never know if he would have changed this over time.

Back