• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OT: 5 biggest bands ever?

Superted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjA_RtsBfAo

Check this out and the comments [ amazing performance ] - Massive concert , The Who right at the top of the bill " stole the show ". Live 8, 3rd top billing behind Floyd and McCartney. Pearl Jam, Mettalica, G&R , Bon Jovi etc, nerver going to fit that bill.

I am not saying they should be in the 5, by definitely should be in with a real shout.

Look I think your spot on. The Who for me, much like Pink Floyd and Radiohead, aren't commercial bands and definitely not known for their singles. Singles wise I would say the bands you mentioned have had more success than each of those 3, but those 3 have that aura about them that the others will never have, built over time due to heir live performances and album experiences.

By the way I think you're wrong about Pearl Jam. If you've ever seen them live, you'll realize it's like no other concert. No other band can compete (sorry Steff, I've seen both PJ and Metallica several times and I'd see another 1000 PJ shows before I went to another Metallica concert).

How about the last 15 years then? I would say Red Hot Chili Peppers would be up there, alongside Coldplay (even though their brick!), U2 (overrated), Oasis to name a few.

Chillie Willies really went downhill after Blood Sugar Sex Magik (although Californication is good).

Top 5 of last 15 years, so 1997 on, would be:
Radiohead
Foo Fighters
U2
Coldplay

Struggling for a 5th.

Not that I particularly like all of these, but I think the 5 biggest bands of all time would have to be:

The Beatles
U2
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Status Quo

musicradar.com has published a list of what their readers think are the best touring acts. Not exactly scientific, but some interesting choices:

1. Rush
2. Iron Maiden
3. Guns N' Roses
4. Porcupine Tree
5. Dream Theater
6. Muse
7. AC DC
8. Metallica
9. Prince
10. U2
11. Rammstein
12. Foo Fighters
13. Roger Waters
14. Bon Jovi
15. Radiohead
16. Rage Against The Machine
17. Bruce Springsteen and the E street band
18. Rolling Stones
19. Lady Gaga
20. Green Day

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-30-greatest-live-acts-in-the-world-today-462684

Chillie Willies really went downhill after Blood Sugar Sex Magik (although Californication is good).

Radiohead
Foo Fighters
U2
Coldplay

Struggling for a 5th.

I'd nominate bands like Korn and Oasis. Korn live is fudging amazing. Nickelback sells millions of CDs and consistently fill arenas and stadiums across North America.

3.jpg

Look I think your spot on. The Who for me, much like Pink Floyd and Radiohead, aren't commercial bands and definitely not known for their singles. Singles wise I would say the bands you mentioned have had more success than each of those 3, but those 3 have that aura about them that the others will never have, built over time due to heir live performances and album experiences.

By the way I think you're wrong about Pearl Jam. If you've ever seen them live, you'll realize it's like no other concert. No other band can compete (sorry Steff, I've seen both PJ and Metallica several times and I'd see another 1000 PJ shows before I went to another Metallica concert).

Fair dos mate, it's all about taste at this point methinks...seen PJ about 7 times and they've never lit my touch-paper. Nirvana were always far more exciting for me as a live act (yes I know, doing that 'Seattle comparison' thing here where it really isn't overly relevant)...this is the great thing about music!

Absolutely brilliant first album, one of my top 20, just mustard...always thought they flattered to deceive live and were easily eclipsed by The Verve ESPECIALLY during their "A Northern Soul" period...but good shout mate...

saw them (oasis) live and it was one of the worst performances i have ever seen, might have been an off day but it seemed to me that was just how they rolled. stopping between every track for some 'banter' which never allowed any momentum to build up - Liams ego in the way he whines his way through songs is just awful - major disappointment as they were one of my favorite bands growing up and had been waiting to see them live for years. been to loads of gigs and they are comfortably in the bottom 5

saw them (oasis) live and it was one of the worst performances i have ever seen, might have been an off day but it seemed to me that was just how they rolled. stopping between every track for some 'banter' which never allowed any momentum to build up - Liams ego in the way he whines his way through songs is just awful - major disappointment as they were one of my favorite bands growing up and had been waiting to see them live for years. been to loads of gigs and they are comfortably in the bottom 5

Indeed, the best I ever saw them was early on 94/95...after 96 they just seemed tired of it. At Earls Court w/The Verve they were really disappointing. Legendary bill, un-legendary performance. Cannot remember the venue now, but one of the times I saw The Verve was in a London club at a pre-release gig for "Urban Hymns" and it was an electric night, just top drawer.

You know, taking it away from rock'n'roll, who ALWAYS manages to put on a GREAT show? Goldie. Don't laugh, I know he's a producer/DJ, but he really, really fires up his audience with presence AND enthusiasm! Seriously one of the most genuine blokes I've seen...one night, he started his set at 11.30 and didn't finish until 4am, by which time there were only about 100 people left, but he was so into it he didn't care. Was only meant to do 90 mins!!!!! Legend. Mad, but a legend...

Been to a couple of Public Enemy gigs and both times they kept playing till the joint closed and pulled the plug on them. 3-4 hour sets.

Indeed, the best I ever saw them was early on 94/95...after 96 they just seemed tired of it. At Earls Court w/The Verve they were really disappointing. Legendary bill, un-legendary performance. Cannot remember the venue now, but one of the times I saw The Verve was in a London club at a pre-release gig for "Urban Hymns" and it was an electric night, just top drawer.

You know, taking it away from rock'n'roll, who ALWAYS manages to put on a GREAT show? Goldie. Don't laugh, I know he's a producer/DJ, but he really, really fires up his audience with presence AND enthusiasm! Seriously one of the most genuine blokes I've seen...one night, he started his set at 11.30 and didn't finish until 4am, by which time there were only about 100 people left, but he was so into it he didn't care. Was only meant to do 90 mins!!!!! Legend. Mad, but a legend...

Saw him in a club once with that weirdo Bjork

IIRC it was some sort of Metalheadz night, they used to do it every week

Thems were the days!

Radiohead
Foo Fighters
U2
Coldplay

Struggling for a 5th.

Californication is their best album IMO. I also like Stadium Arcadium and By The Way. I'm With you is not a very good album. They are not the same band without John Frusciante.

Saw him in a club once with that weirdo Bjork

IIRC it was some sort of Metalheadz night, they used to do it every week

Thems were the days!

Oh yes yes yes!!!! I'm back in the UK 3 or 4 times a year, and back when the Blue Note was happening in Hoxton Square, I'd get down there whenever I could...I lost half a stone at a Grooverider set there once! GREAT times, agreed mate...

Interesting, I always loved "Freaky Styley" and "Mother's Milk" best of all...

I just loved Frusciante's guitar playing on Californication and Stadium Arcadium. It really is a shame he's no longer in the band. Flea was once quoted as saying he thought he was overshadowed by Frusciante. Even the greatest bass players in the world will be overshadowed by a guitarist.

Californication is my favorite RHCP album - maybe it is down to the fact i got it when i was 12 and was just getting in to rock so played it endlessly for ages, but i love every track on it it's just the right length and it fits together so well.

BSSM would be next, it's also great but doesn't fit together as well as Californication, imv and there are a couple of filler tracks

Back