• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OOMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Some team from somewhere in Europe

Re: OOMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs FC Pigfarmer

It's not Slovenia I'm being dismissive of, it's the UEFA Cup.

Ahem, It's the Europa League. Anyway, I think it's a great competition and we're NOT too big for it. The main problem is the Champions League and how the cartel of big clubs get all the money.

Ahem, It's the Europa League. Anyway, I think it's a great competition and we're NOT too big for it. The main problem is the Champions League and how the cartel of big clubs get all the money.

I think if UEFA stopped letting CL failures in and had a few more seeded qualifying rounds it would have some value.

I'm more than happy to play Lazio and the like, not so keen for our players to risk injury and fatigue against a lot o the teams that qualify.

I think if UEFA stopped letting CL failures in and had a few more seeded qualifying rounds it would have some value.

I'm more than happy to play Lazio and the like, not so keen for our players to risk injury and fatigue against a lot o the teams that qualify.

Maribor are reigning champions in their national league, should they not be allowed to play in a European competition of some sort?

Maribor are reigning champions in their national league, should they not be allowed to play in a European competition of some sort?

Of course they should. We should enter a few rounds later.

Surely they should be in the champions league...oh wait no they can't because its a media cash cow and they would be seeded behind a fourth place European team.

The UEFA cup is often derided as Uefa have made it abundantly clear its a second rate tournament. I'd be more enthusiastic if we didn't have to risk our players playing about 10 games against teams you rarely hear of.

That is my biggest problem with Europa League it really cheapens the competition. That being said, there are some real quality sides in it this year, and I would love to do well in it.

Let's be honest the group stage of the CL is pretty brick too aside from maybe 1 or 2 groups it is quite clear who will advance from each group, I don't think United fancy Cluj or Braga as a glamour tie but it is what it is those teams earned a spot so you must play who is in front of you.

That is my biggest problem with Europa League it really cheapens the competition. That being said, there are some real quality sides in it this year, and I would love to do well in it.

Let's be honest the group stage of the CL is pretty brick too aside from maybe 1 or 2 groups it is quite clear who will advance from each group, I don't think United fancy Cluj or Braga as a glamour tie but it is what it is those teams earned a spot so you must play who is in front of you.

Due to the financial benefits and attraction of the CL, United can field a pretty good squad team to get past those rounds. The UEFA (or whatever they call it this week) probably barely breaks even for teams of our size and wage bill.

If I were the type to believe in conspiracy theories, I'd say the one about the UEFA Cup only existing to keep teams out of the CL was a good shout for a real one.

In case you haven't had enough if my whining....

We're on ITV4 too - bricky Internet stream quality OTA.

Agree with this. UEFA show nothing but contempt for this tournament, can you really blame fans for doing the same?

Why can't they just play the games on alternate Tuesdays/Wednesdays to the Champions League?

Also, the FA doesn't lift a finger to to help British teams in Europe like the associations in other countries do.

Also, the FA doesn't lift a finger to to help British teams in Europe like the associations in other countries do.

what do other associations do to help their European participants ?

don't you think the 40m (soon to be 80m) they get from tv revenue gives them enough of an advantage over the rest of league ? quite why people want to see the FA give these Clubs even more of a helping hand i don't know

don't you think the 40m (soon to be 80m) they get from tv revenue gives them enough of an advantage over the rest of league ? quite why people want to see the FA give these Clubs even more of a helping hand i don't know

The get their league matches rearranged to give them maximum time for preparation to CL ties.

Well for a start the Spanish FA for example will move games from Saturday to Sunday or vice versa so the teams have more rest.

Didn't Chelsea have to play on Sunday night in the FA cup semi and then Tuesday or Wednesday in the Champions League? I hate Chelsea, but if that was us, I would not be happy.

price of being successful, you get all that money to build a squad far better than other teams in the domestic league then you should be able to cope with fixture congestion that comes with it - personally i think the way the Spanish look after Barca and Real is a joke and don't want us to follow suit

the FA is there to look after the league as a whole, not just the teams at the top (although you'd forget that sometimes)

Last edited:

Well for a start the Spanish FA for example will move games from Saturday to Sunday or vice versa so the teams have more rest.

Didn't Chelsea have to play on Sunday night in the FA cup semi and then Tuesday or Wednesday in the Champions League? I hate Chelsea, but if that was us, I would not be happy.

We played late Thursday and early Saturday once. TV money speaks.

price of being successful, you get all that money to build a squad far better than other teams in the domestic league then you should be able to cope with fixture congestion.

the FA is there to look after the league as a whole, not just the teams at the top (although you'd forget that sometimes)

Of course it's a privilege to play in Europe. But I don't see why you object to the FA helping their teams out and giving them every advantage in order to be successful in the Europa/CL.

Of course it's a privilege to play in Europe. But I don't see why you object to the FA helping their teams out and giving them every advantage in order to be successful in the Europa/CL.

giving teams an advantage in Europe also means giving them an advantage domestically which the FA cannot be doing, imv

the way it is at the moment is fair all round as far as i can see

Back