• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

One player from history

If you could pick one player from our history for current team who would it be?

• Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Berbatov

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Gascoigne

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Greaves

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Lineker

• Mackay

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Perryman

• Other (name 'em)

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
If you could pick one player from our history to fit into and improve (or even complete) our current team who would it be and why?

I think I can say our greatest weaknesses are up front without sparking too much debate (rhetorical ;)).

Hoddle would have been ideal to take the place of RvdV, instead of Sigurdsson or Dempsey. We'd lose the charging runs from deep but he had the goalscoring and passing for the role.

For the lone forward, Allen might be the best upgrade on Adebayor, but we shouldn't underestimate Adebayor for that role. The upgrade would be nowhere near that of Hoddle over Sigurdsson/Dempsey. Gilzean would also be an interesting call here.

Greaves would be interesting, but not as the lone forward. Again, he would be a candidate to upgrade the ACM spot. Peters also. And then there is White.

Last edited:
Maradona would be upgrade on Dempsey.

Diego-Maradona-of-Tottenh-008.jpg

=P~=P~=P~ Just imagine if he actually was a Spurs player for real.

If the criteria is he has to have played a proper game for us, I'd say Lineker. Or Klinsmann. Or even Sheringham. Any world class goal scorer would do.

[video=youtube;Nanvuz1PByM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nanvuz1PByM[/video]

Oh and my player would be Gary Lineker.... devastating finisher, under-estimated link up play

Last edited:
Hoddle in the hole behind the front man. More than capable of getting 20+ goals per season and would be a better player in the modern game than he was in the eighties when water carriers like Bryan Robson were trying to kick seven lumps of brick out of him every week. The man was born 30 years too soon.

Lineker is a good call but I think he would struggle up front on his own. Klinsmann however would absolutely thrive in this team.

There, you asked for one, I gave you two but Hoddle, Hoddle, Hoddle is the man. If you didn't see him, he was better than you have been told.

Must admit, I thought of Chiv first but put Gilly as he was my favourite.

My memory might be faulty, but wasn't Gilzean the more mobile of the two. That makes him a better choice here. Chivers was more the classic centre forward whereas you need a more dynamic player for the lone forward. Otherwise Bobby Smith would probably be the man.

Has to be Jimmy Greaves.

Only two of the current team would get into my all-time XI. By position:

Jennings > Lloris
Kinnear > Walker
Gough > Gallas
King > Caulker
Henry < Vertonghen
Cliff Jones > Lennon
Hoddle > Dembele
Mackay > Sandro
Greaves > Dempsey
Klinsmann > Adebayor
Dyson < Bale

Last edited:
Agree with much of what has been posted already.

I would probably go for Hoddle as he is the best player i have seen with my own eyes at the Lane (i didn't see the great teams of the sixties) but i can see the arguement in favour of a striker in which case it would have to be Greaves.

He was a great goal scorer but I think that Linekar would struggle in the modern game.

:lol:

:eek:

he would do fine. His extraordinary ability to find space in the box and get on the end of crosses would still be devastatingly effective in todays game

plus his sheer electric pace, underestimated ability in the air, intelligent running of the channels. Top top class

Back