• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur Vs Liverpool

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've been biting my tongue on responding to this point since he was appointed but I think being"a winner" is flimflam.

Is being a "winner" a lifetime ability or is it time limited? If it is for life, why does his "winning meteorology" only seem to work on minor competitions now? Should we consider the budgets and players that he had during his golden period or was it him being a "winner" that was the difference?

This isn't taking away from his record, he was at one point one of the greatest managers in the world and it stands up to anyone but is the Mourinho of the last ten years as good as the Mourinho of the preceding ten?

That's a fair post with some good points I think. I do think he is a winner not necessarily because it's a lifetime ability but because his record is bloody impressive and he just exudes charisma and confidence. He's also a nasty c**t when he loses. In the last 10 years he's won the PL, 2 league cups, La Liga, Cope del Rey, Europa League (if you include 2010 at Inter, you can add the CL, Coppa Italia and Serie A). He's been out of the game for a year and a half in that time albeit both absences were pretty much down to being fired twice.

At every club he's been at for the bones of twenty years he's won trophies. You could argue with United, where he only won "minor" trophies, that he had the worst side he'd ever managed and wasn't backed. I know at Tottenham, we'd have given our left arm for a Europa League for as long as I can remember. Jol, Poch, Harry, AVB, Ramos, Tactics Tim all failed to even threaten a win in that competition. Jesus, we'd probably have given our right arm for a league cup given that's all we've won in 29 years. You could also make a very strong argument that, at United, he's been by far the best manager they've had post-Fergie. Okay, the bar isn't high but it's a very difficult place to manage right now.

On the flip side, the fear is that football has passed him by. I don't buy it but nor would I discount it. He plays a brand of football unlike that of most top managers. But has Pep's style evolved much over the last 10 years? Because 10 years ago, Jose did him with Inter and then won the league with Madrid at the expense of Pep.

So you've raised some valid questions. Personally, I think he is a winner and I also don't believe that football has passed him by. But I could be wrong and time will tell. Either way, unless he's Merlin the fudging Magician, I don't see him getting 3 points this weekend.

Yeah true that. I just can't see both him and Lo Celso starting. Certainly not if Jose wants to go with Moura, Son and Alli as well.

I think you'll be correct but, that's exactly what I think Jose should do!

Given that parking the parking the bus against Liverpool is futile, I think we should just give it a go.

Leicester until recently, were the best team defensively in the PL. They let Pool have the ball, hoping to catch them on the break - all to no avail and the end result was a 4-0 loss at the King Power..If Leicester couldn't do it by parking the bus, then I don't see how we can.

I feel Jose should pack our team with ball players, by that, I mean players who will look after the ball and not give up possession cheaply.. Hopefully they will also be moving it swiftly on the counter with accuracy ..Sonny and Lucas to run at their center halves pulling them out wide, with Lo Celso, Lamela and Eriksen/Dele bossing the midfield..

We will lose if we park the bus and it'll be humiliating, just as it were recently against Chelsea so we may as well have a go at playing them off the park!

I think Winks is out injured (?) and N'dombele may make the bench...

I'd go for something like this:

......................................Gazzaniga
..........Alderweireld..............Sánchez..............Vertonghen
...Aurier...............Lamela...............Dele/Eriksen.................Sessegnon
.........................................Le Celso............................
......................Moura...............................Son........................

Subs:
Vorm
Tanganga
Skipp
Parrot
Eriksen/Dele
Dier
N'dombele

To Dare Is To Do and all that...COYS!!!

So no Sissoko and possibly no Ndombele, just great.
Still sticking with 4-5-1 but team for me now would be;

-------------------Gazzaniga--------------------
Aurier---Sanchez---Alderweireld--Vertonghen
Moura---Lamela---Dier---Winks---Sessegnon
--------------------------Son--------------------------

Subs:Vorm, Foyth, Tanganga, Dele, Lo Celso, Skipp, Parrott
Wow. Looking at that, which is not unlikely at all, that's a very mediocre team, and I'm being very kind!

That's a fair post with some good points I think. I do think he is a winner not necessarily because it's a lifetime ability but because his record is bloody impressive and he just exudes charisma and confidence. He's also a nasty c**t when he loses. In the last 10 years he's won the PL, 2 league cups, La Liga, Cope del Rey, Europa League (if you include 2010 at Inter, you can add the CL, Coppa Italia and Serie A). He's been out of the game for a year and a half in that time albeit both absences were pretty much down to being fired twice.

At every club he's been at for the bones of twenty years he's won trophies. You could argue with United, where he only won "minor" trophies, that he had the worst side he'd ever managed and wasn't backed. I know at Tottenham, we'd have given our left arm for a Europa League for as long as I can remember. Jol, Poch, Harry, AVB, Ramos, Tactics Tim all failed to even threaten a win in that competition. Jesus, we'd probably have given our right arm for a league cup given that's all we've won in 29 years. You could also make a very strong argument that, at United, he's been by far the best manager they've had post-Fergie. Okay, the bar isn't high but it's a very difficult place to manage right now.

On the flip side, the fear is that football has passed him by. I don't buy it but nor would I discount it. He plays a brand of football unlike that of most top managers. But has Pep's style evolved much over the last 10 years? Because 10 years ago, Jose did him with Inter and then won the league with Madrid at the expense of Pep.

So you've raised some valid questions. Personally, I think he is a winner and I also don't believe that football has passed him by. But I could be wrong and time will tell. Either way, unless he's Merlin the fudging Magician, I don't see him getting 3 points this weekend.

Was he being a winner when he was out thought by Lampard last month?

Was he being a winner when he was out thought by Lampard last month?

That game did surprise me for a number of reasons and we were fudging dreadful. But I wouldn't judge him on one game like that or even on the few games since. He needs players to play the football he wants and he hasnt got the right ones at the moment.

-------------------Gazzaniga--------------------
Aurier---Sanchez---Alderweireld--Vertonghen
Moura---Lamela---Dier---Winks---Sessegnon
--------------------------Son--------------------------
City played with no strikers tonight and overloaded/battered Utd. Maybe we should play with no strikers. And no midfield. And no defence, just 11 goalies.

Given that parking the parking the bus against Liverpool is futile, I think we should just give it a go.

Leicester until recently, were the best team defensively in the PL. They let Pool have the ball, hoping to catch them on the break - all to no avail and the end result was a 4-0 loss at the King Power..If Leicester couldn't do it by parking the bus, then I don't see how we can.

I feel Jose should pack our team with ball players, by that, I mean players who will look after the ball and not give up possession cheaply.. Hopefully they will also be moving it swiftly on the counter with accuracy ..Sonny and Lucas to run at their center halves pulling them out wide, with Lo Celso, Lamela and Eriksen/Dele bossing the midfield..

We will lose if we park the bus and it'll be humiliating, just as it were recently against Chelsea so we may as well have a go at playing them off the park!

...Aurier...............Lamela...............Dele/Eriksen.................Sessegnon
......................Moura...............................Son........................

Subs:
Vorm
Tanganga
Skipp
Parrot
Eriksen/Dele
Dier
N'dombele

I admire your positivity but we tried playing Norwich off the park and look what happened there. Defend deep as we probably will have to anyway and get Toby (and Eriksen if selected) to ping passes in behind their full backs for Moura, Son and Sessegnon to counter. Fearing the worst regardless of how we approach this game.

Referee: Martin Atkinson.
Assistants: Lee Betts, Constantine Hatzidakis.
Fourth official: Andre Marriner.
VAR: Craig Pawson. Assistant VAR: Harry Lennard.

Scousers have got a lot to moan about...What a bunch of whiny clams :D

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/01/...k-some-liverpool-fans-fume-over-announcement/

Martin Atkinson is no friend of ours either.

Sending off Son at Goodison Park and still can't forgive him for the Lampard 'ghost' goal in the Cup semi final. Certainly never favours us in any games against the other top 6 clubs

Subs:
Vorm
Tanganga
Skipp
Parrot
Eriksen/Dele
Dier
N'dombele

That team would get murdered! Need something in CM to try to shut things down a bit, and Dele really isnt a CM at all. I'd play Dier and Ndombele in there if fit, but failing that Eriksen, Winks or Skipp. Options for us in CM really arent great at all at the moment

City played with no strikers tonight and overloaded/battered Utd. Maybe we should play with no strikers. And no midfield. And no defence, just 11 goalies.

Gazzaniga would still palm a couple in.

Anybody seen my 'brave' face?

Another Liverpool game where Robinson and Arnold Palmer will have flanks to themselves i presume,if Jose or his coaching squad haven't picked this up in past games we've played against each other on old dvd's,we might as well give up......

Back