• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT*** Tottenham Hotspur Vs Dnipro

I totally agree.....we still talk about the UEFA cup success in 1984. It's all about the glory. Look at Wenger, all those years of Champs League qualification but no trophies - there is no glory in coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th IMHO.

For me, the problem is that there's very little glory in playing endless numbers of matches against the likes of Dinamo Tbilisi, Anzhi, Sheriff, Tromse, Dnipro etc.

If UEFA hadn't ****ed the competition up, and it was still a straight knockout tournament between the top 32 teams not in the CL, I'd be more inclined to prioritise it over CL qualification. As it is the interminably dull early stage of the compeition sucks any enjoyment or glory out of it before it can get going.

Can someone sort the KO time on the OP please.

KO is 6pm not 20:00 and people reading that will miss the entire game.

2 league cups in that time, and I'm counting them because they're the 3 trophies we've won in my 25 odd years :)

Can still see Allan Nielsen's header against Leicester...

Loved the CL season of course and getting back in for the big European nights would be great, but when you look back on it all it's the trophies you remember.

For me Crouch's header vs Emirates Marketing Project to secure CL qualification, or our 3-1 win over Inter in the CL the following season, were more memorable than the last two League Cup wins.

I agree with those who would like to see us win the Europa League even if means we miss out on 4th spot. It's been far too long since Spurs last won a major trophy (the League Cup is barely any more prestigious than the Charity Shield imo) and we stand no chance of picking up a Premier League or Champions League any time in the foreseeable future which leaves the Europa League as the most glorious competition we stand a realistic chance of winning (the FA Cup is not what it used to be), so why not dare to dream that we might have a shiny new addition to the trophy cabinet [-o<

1445550_w2.jpg

article-2299147-18EC713C000005DC-804_964x627.jpg

After watching the CL games this week, with three of the biggest teams in Europe plus that other lot, I just can't get excited about a game against Dnipro. This just isn't much of a competition anymore. You don't play a decent side until you come up against one which has dropped out of the CL.
Sooner they do away with this competition the better.
3 points on Sunday are first priority, don't risk anyone who's not 100%. Any injuries tonight could spell disaster.
Given that the first leg of the last 16 games falls between the Chelsea and Arsenal matches I won't be too disappointed if we go out in this round.

Just can't see Sherwood going all-out to win the EC. Why would he when Levy has only asked him to get into top 4. I am sure Sherwood will be mindful of the fact Europa League was the main reason AVB got sacked. Most of our league loses under AVB came after EC matches. Let's see what Sherwood is made of.

Two questions.

1. How do you know that Levy has only asked Sherwood to get top 4?

2. How was the Europa League the main reason AVB got sacked?

For me, the problem is that there's very little glory in playing endless numbers of matches against the likes of Dinamo Tbilisi, Anzhi, Sheriff, Tromse, Dnipro etc.

If UEFA hadn't ****ed the competition up, and it was still a straight knockout tournament between the top 32 teams not in the CL, I'd be more inclined to prioritise it over CL qualification. As it is the interminably dull early stage of the compeition sucks any enjoyment or glory out of it before it can get going.

I agree totally with your sentiments and whilst this tie is very boring on the outside the tie that could lie ahead is very appealing. But there in is the problem with the Uefa cup now. It only gets interesting after February and from the round of 16 onwards. I am very much looking forward to a possible tie of Tottenham v Benfica. But also this shows another problem with the competition. The ties only get exciting when we get the Champions league drop outs in as they are bigger more attractive sides. But they should not be allowed in, in the first place.

If you played a knockout tournament that did not allowed the drop outs it would still be full of meaningless ties against drab opposition.

Friedel; Naughton, Dawson, Vertonghen, Rose; Bentaleb, Capoue, Paulinho; Chadli, Soldado, Townsend .

subs tonight - Archer, Fryers, Veljkovic, Eriksen, McEvoy, Onomah, Kane

I agree with those who would like to see us win the Europa League even if means we miss out on 4th spot. It's been far too long since Spurs last won a major trophy (the League Cup is barely any more prestigious than the Charity Shield imo) and we stand no chance of picking up a Premier League or Champions League any time in the foreseeable future which leaves the Europa League as the most glorious competition we stand a realistic chance of winning (the FA Cup is not what it used to be), so why not dare to dream that we might have a shiny new addition to the trophy cabinet [-o<

Went through the same arguments last year.

The entire football world takes an interest in CL knock out games, but they'll be oblivious to tonight's game. It's a non-event, as will next round and the next, and the final will only garner a passing interest. There's no glory left in this competition now.

The only thing that matters tonight is no injuries.

Last edited:
Friedel; Naughton, Dawson, Vertonghen, Rose; Bentaleb, Capoue, Paulinho; Chadli, Soldado, Townsend .

subs tonight - Archer, Fryers, Veljkovic, Eriksen, McEvoy, Onomah, Kane

Let me just preface what I'm about to say by admitting I literally know nothing about Dnipro, but...

Soldado might be good for a hat-trick tonight. Chadli and Townsend will both be desperate to make an impression (the benefit of having 5 players for 2 positions and an upcoming WC to impress for) and our midfield should be able to dominate the middle of the park. It looks like the most balanced side we've put out in a long time.

5-0 Spurs

1445550_w2.jpg

article-2299147-18EC713C000005DC-804_964x627.jpg

That photo of the UEFA winning team reminded me of Ally dingdong, i remember him signing for Ajax but nothing after that. I checked his Wiki page and his appearances / career honours is an eye opener

Years Team Apps†(Gls)†
1982–1985 Tottenham Hotspur F.C. 17 (2)
1986–1988 AFC Ajax 11 (1)
1988-1989 Frankston Pines 14 (4)
1990 Morwell Falcons
1992-1993 Heidelberg United 10 (4)
1995-1996 Seven Stars (?)
1996-1997 Alloa Athletic 1 (0)

In just over 50 games played spanning 15 years he managed to appear in/win:

Scotland Youth European Championships, Winner[verification needed]
Tottenham Hotspur F.C 1984 UEFA Cup Final Winner
AFC Ajax UEFA Cup Winners' Cup 1986-87, Winner
AFC Ajax UEFA Cup Winners' Cup 1987-88, Runner-up
AFC Ajax European Super Cup 1987, Runner up

Either his wiki page is incorrect or surely he must be the unluckiest (injuries) / luckiest (honours) player ever??? :eek: :-k

Went through the same arguments last year.

The entire football world takes an interest in CL knock out games, but they'll be oblivious to tonight's game. It's a non-event, as will next round and the next, and the final will only garner a passing interest. There's no glory left in this competition now.

The only thing that matters tonight is no injuries.

Not the entire world. I couldnt give two ****s about CL unless Spurs are in it. Same way I couldnt give two ****s about any competition if spurs arent in it. Its more a case of a non event to people who couldnt care less and same with the CL. Depends who you chat to.

That reminds me of me and the wife trying for the second kid, 2 games played one cup one, then she was injured for 10 months.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk

Should have rested Rose. Rose is too important to the shape of our game. Not saying that Rose is great but the attack on our left side took a big dip when Rose was out.

Back