• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT *** Tottenham Hotspur v Stoke ***

Fun fact, if true: Before today no team in the history of top flight football had won 4 consecutive games against the same opponent by four or more goals.

I'm pretty sure one of the pundits on NCBn said just that. I had one ear on something else though, but pretty sure something to that effect was said.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Tripps was really good today, ditto Davies and I think 4-2-3-1 is THE best formation for us with limited squad strength. When Victor is fit,
Moose off the bench!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I advise you to view the match again and count how many times Trippier either got past his man or passed forward. That number will be less than 3. He didn't do anything wrong, but he certainly didn't do much progressive. It was really frustrating to watch him.

^ Trippier was peripheral to the game today - took up some good positions but whenever in possession went sideways and backwards all too often and had a tough time defensively also

^ Trippier was peripheral to the game today - took up some good positions but whenever in possession went sideways and backwards all too often and had a tough time defensively also
That's my point! He never challenged the defender. He always checked back. Even when facing Joe bloody Allen, he didn't even try to get past, but went backwards.

Yes we played well, we won well and this effort is to be applauded. But..why is it we can't say that the poor performances are poor? But that we have a love in for the better days? Surely a balanced approach is to give a mixture of praise & criticism. Today's performance was evidence of what we are capable of. The criticism only stems from frustration when we play poorly and don't look up for it.

I advise you to view the match again and count how many times Trippier either got past his man or passed forward. That number will be less than 3. He didn't do anything wrong, but he certainly didn't do much progressive. It was really frustrating to watch him.

^^This. Today was the first time I’ve felt frustrated watching him. When the ball was played out to him, rather than run with it down the line and try to beat the Stoke player he invariably cut in or passed it back.

As for the match, it was definitely a game of two halves. Much better second half, we looked livelier, with more attacking intent, and better movement and faster passing. It could have been much more than 5.
Son has evolved into a great player. You feel something is going to happen whenever he gets on the ball.
And we have Lamela back! He makes such a difference. And could have scored on two or three occasions. (The last chance was nailed on if Davies had played the ball in rather than having a go himself).

And fair play to the Stoke fans, singing “5-0 and you f*cked it up”. You have to love the football fan’s black humour.

Agree with this. From an attacking perspective, he doesnt even seem to want to take his man on - he goes side or back as you say...and this isnt just on the basis of today's performance, its the way he plays. You could say that in a 4-2-3-1 its less of a problem and a more traditional full back isnt an issue. - there's some merit in that argument, however when we go 3 at the back, its much more of a concern as we rely on the wing-backs for our attacking width. It highlights the difference between him and Walker, given the latter was effective in a back 3 or back 4 formation. Aurier on the other hand looks suspect defensively; KWP is probably somewhere in between them in terms of defensive/attacking bias though he hasnt been put under the same spotlight as the other two yet

Will be interesting to see what Poch does with Trippier - he's 27 now so if he doesnt prove that he's worth a starting spot come the start of next season (or, more accurately, proves that he's not good enough) then its arguable that should cash in on him in the next 18 months before his value starts to drop.

In the first half he was marked/covered very tightly by the Stoke left back! Thus was not so good going forward!
Second half he had much more room and I think improved.

In the first half he was marked/covered very tightly by the Stoke left back! Thus was not so good going forward!
And still didn't try to beat his man once. Always passed sideways or backwards

I had to laugh at Vertonghen's attempted bicycle kick. He could have brought it down he had so much time.

And still didn't try to beat his man once. Always passed sideways or backwards

Second half he put some 'better' crosses in. Think Stoke saw him as a real danger and shut him down quite well but sadly a little too easily as you say, it was very noticeable in the first half an hour. Walker had a threat perceived or otherwise. We miss that at times!

That's my point! He never challenged the defender. He always checked back. Even when facing Joe bloody Allen, he didn't even try to get past, but went backwards.

He was wide open several times, but we kept pushing everything down the left. The few times we moved play over to the right it took too long to get the ball to him. Stoke are rubbish, so in the end it didn't really matter.

Re. the full-backs, I don't think either of them were very good today and I don't think any of our group of 4 are in great form at the moment, but I'm sure that will pass.

Best thing about today, imo, was our intensity. We played hard, pressed hard and got the ball forward quickly. Stoke couldn't cope with it in the end. Great result.

Gah....I’m drunk now but will offer an impassioned defence of Trippier tomorrow. I thought he did his job well today, the players I thought were below par were Dele and Dembele.

Dele because he was marked tightly to the max...he tries those flicks because if one comes off he’s beaten 3 players and we likely score. When they don’t work he looks like a selfish player but actually I think he’s getting there.

Dembele just wasn’t winning his 1 v 1s enough for me to be happy with him. But the reason he gets 90 mins is because he needs to ramp up to get in to his rhythm. He’ll be fine.

fudge it...I’ll try and offer a Trippier defence. Basically, it’s a broader point about how we played the ball forward quicker today with less regard for control and more regard for just getting it forward quickly. It was a bit more Sherwood and I think on the Wembley pitch it may be exactly what we need against defensive teams. With the strategy we used today, I’m not surprised that Son shined. Trippier’s job was to clip the longer, more direct balls forward with quality and I think he did that on more than one occasion. When he did have 1 v1 defending to do, he did it well. Good game from him.

And good game from the team. I view this as a turning point. The commentators I watched tried to paint this narrative as classic ‘slow Spurs at Wembley’ at half time but I didn’t see that. I saw us get into dangerous positions more regularly and it wasn’t just that we got a first half goal that opened it up... I think it would have happened anyway. We were really good. We were really penetrative. We got the ball forward quickly and sacrificed control. I’d like to think this is a turning point because we’ve figured out how to play defensive teams on the Wembley pitch. Hopefully that holds true.

I’m drunk.

Spot on.

We all know Trippier is no Son, that's stating the bleeding obvious, so we need to accept that it makes better sense for him to pass the ball back rather than lose it attempting a dribble that's never going to come off.

And contrary to @Kandi1977's rant (perfectly understandable given his first-half showing) Tripps DID actually try to take on his man once or twice but the result was as expected, he lost possession.

We need to remember Tripps is at his best when he has that extra bit of space on the flank to either curl his first-time floaters across the goal or lob the ball ahead over defenders and into the path of a forward runner. But whenever he's tightly marked like he was today in the first half, that's not going to happen, so I prefer to sign up for the back pass rather than blow a fuse. :rolleyes:

Back