• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Everton FC ***

With our first team players coming back, I expected us to be able to find the form that we showed earlier in the season and to push on from there.

Had we won today which we ought to have been able to. We had the chances, whilst Everton were reliant on set pieces, we would have been only 6 points behind Liverpool. They would have had a game in hand but Liverpool have Arsenal tomorrow so every chance that they drop points.

I feel we are on the cusp of great things but need to find that step. We now have Sarr back which should help us be stronger defensively.

We need to work on defending set pieces, it’s an obvious weakness and one that teams will be targeting in the weeks ahead. Hopefully we can work on that in training and find answers to the questions that we are asked.

ultimately as it is, we are out of the title race and need to ensure we don’t fall out of top 4.
I remember Ange saying a few months ago they had been working on corners and set pieces intensely and we were actually defending them well. City spotted what they thought was a perceived weakness and we had all game to adjust and not only not concede but put the targeting of our keeper to bed. We didn't do it. Perhaps we can't.
How would Arsenal deal with it if teams targeted a midget like Raya ?

What a horrible place to play football. A silly little pitch, wherein every time the ball is wide players fall off the edge of the pitch and smash into the hoardings. Ugly screaming booing fans. Rugby football.

We should have bought fouls today, rather than trying to fight fire with fire.
Loads of times we had the ball, then tried to force passes that were not on. We should have shielded the ball and bought a foul. That's what a better team does, buy 15 fouls and we see out that game.

They all do it. Think of the disappointment we felt. He felt that x 100.
He's getting paid millions to be disappointed, I have to sit and watch it and it costs me money. I'm disappointed in his naivety and demeanour like he's the victim. Do something about it, the warnings have been there with Vicario being jostled, protect him.

• Disagree
Reactions: jrh
As soon as they trotted out that stat about Everton only gaining 1pt from losing positions this season (with only Burnley worse) you just knew.

They were willing an equaliser for poor old hard-done-by Everton (dont overspend then)

The two points lost are not on individual players. In the last two games we've been poor for large parts of the game. We have fallen into the opponents traps, and they have gotten the game exactly how they wanted. Some players don't look up to speed, especially Bentancur, who I think has been quite poor, and not managed to influence the games at all.

The main press conference was possibly the shortest I've seen for him. Journos scared of him ? I would have asked him a Dennis Pennis style question......a bit like The Mousse did...
something like....

How do you expect to challenge for top 4 giving away set pieces and not being able to defend them ?

• Disagree
The two points lost are not on individual players. In the last two games we've been poor for large parts of the game. We have fallen into the opponents traps, and they have gotten the game exactly how they wanted. Some players don't look up to speed, especially Bentancur, who I think has been quite poor, and not managed to influence the games at all.
I suggested Bentancur as needing rotation yesterday.

• Disagree
How do you put a team away without scoring more than 2 goals?

Manage the game better. There’s only so much a team can handle with relentless pressure before they concede. We were hanging on the other day against Brentford and also in the reverse game against Everton. Same against Palace as well. I do also feel the subs are a bit conservative when we lead games. It invites pressure when you take off most of your attacking players.

Manage the game better. There’s only so much a team can handle with relentless pressure before they concede. We were hanging on the other day against Brentford and also in the reverse game against Everton. Same against Palace as well. I do also feel the subs are a bit conservative when we lead games. It invites pressure when you take off most of your attacking players.
Agreed.

It's less about our defending and more about the amount of defending we're forced to do.

Need to keep those spells of pressure shorter by doing more with the ball. Or at the very least impose a greater cost to the opposition if they want to press us that high by managing to create chances by playing through that press.

In both our recent games I think our defenders and gk has done really well in our third under pressure. But we've failed too often to progress through the middle third and into the final third.

Think that will come with more first choice players back and more first choice players back to full match fitness.

There's still so much to come from this team.

I didn't see today's match but if we were as poor as reported in this thread then I kind of see it as a good thing and a reality check. Too many have been first getting too carried away and secondly expecting too much from the returning players.

Ange isn't a miracle worker and season one of his stewardship is going to have its ups and downs. We still need work coaching wise and we definitely need work squad wise. Both in terms of the quality of the players used and the quantity of them, we lack in both areas but improvements will hopefully continue to come.

Maddison recently back from injury, cramping up last game, looking tired. Werner obviously tiring, seemed to have a knock. Hojbjerg tiring and giving the ball away needlessly with tired legs.

Then look at the bench. What were the options?

I think he used the options available for him. But we failed at keeping the ball towards the end, after a spell before that where we managed to do just that. Too many poor decisions and involvements and Everton were able to (again) mount real pressure on us.

Players let Postecoglu down more than him making the wrong decisions imo. And goes to show that we're still short of suitable options within the squad.

Had he had Lo Celso, Hojbjerg (with Bissouma starting) Werner (with Son starting) on the bench and he made the same subs as today I would have understood criticism of his decisions. But we had what we had.
Donely showed midweek he has the nous to help see a game out IF that is what we were trying to do. Bryan Gil? In a match like that against a side trying to mix rugby with football? Let’s be honest, he’s as strong in those moments as a rice-paper umbrella in a tropical storm…

Agreed.

It's less about our defending and more about the amount of defending we're forced to do.

Need to keep those spells of pressure shorter by doing more with the ball. Or at the very least impose a greater cost to the opposition if they want to press us that high by managing to create chances by playing through that press.

In both our recent games I think our defenders and gk has done really well in our third under pressure. But we've failed too often to progress through the middle third and into the final third.

Think that will come with more first choice players back and more first choice players back to full match fitness.

There's still so much to come from this team.
Doesn't really put a team away though does it? You're still open to the last of Wimbleton's lumps into the mixer finding it's target, unless you've got enough cushion on the scoreboard for it not to matter.

Obviously better possession of the ball would help us create more at the other end.

Donely showed midweek he has the nous to help see a game out IF that is what we were trying to do. Bryan Gil? In a match like that against a side trying to mix rugby with football? Let’s be honest, he’s as strong in those moments as a rice-paper umbrella in a tropical storm…
It's absolutely laughable to suggest that Donley instead of Gil would have made the difference!

Back