• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund - first leg***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly doubt it would made much difference to the outcome of this tie. It was a terrible draw for us with our other important commitments. Dortmund are far and away the best team in the competition.
They will win it!
We would have still been in it, and set for a fantastic game at WHL. what should have been a great game at WHL is now turned into just an inconvenience. Such a shame.

just like to say that in this thread i have gone from Jamie Slabber to Phil Ifil....via Hans Segers....get in!!! :)

Slighty peeved but if you want to be in Europe then it doesn't get much bigger than Dortmund....these are the nights we should be cherishing it will still be a top night whatever the outcome....COYS!!!

I would 100% agree, regardless of the result, if we were going toe to toe with them with our best XI!

But hard to feel anything but 100% apathy when we're not even giving it close to our best shot - especially when I've got to catch a 7:30 train to Hull the next fudging morning...

No doubt you are just indulging in a rant following our defeat, understandable I suppose, nevertheless I take strong exception to your tone against a manager who has steered us brilliantly to second place in the PL and is winning plaudits from all over for his outstanding coaching and professionalism.

A little more respect would not go amiss. Would mean I for one could respect your opinion that bit more in turn.

Respect for what? There's nothing to be respected about what we did today. Pure and simple.

I'm not entirely sure why posting on forums carries with it a constant need to restate your priors, but I've mentioned countless times before that finishing in the top four alone would be a massive overachievement this season, and that I'm quite happy with how the team has played as a whole in the league this year. Indeed, I'm probably one of the posters most against believing in the title hype, because that would diminish the sense of achievement that will come from finishing in the top four alone.

But this constant need to venerate Poch and preface a discussion of his undoubted failings and missteps with 'oh, but I'm happy with what he's done elsewhere' is just strange to me. Especially coming from insightful posters like @thfcsteff. What chance is there of criticising Poch in a truthful manner if the most one can ever say (lest they offend the more zealous among us) is....'Poch maybe, possibly f*cked up, but it's entirely okay because he's a great bloke who done good in the league and is working on a small budget and changing the club for the better and all that, and I'm terribly sorry for even suggesting that he might have f*cked up'?

Today, there was absolutely nothing, nothing that he did that deserved respect in my eyes. Contrary to certain posters' views, there are people in the fanbase who relish nights like these, a chance to test our mettle against the best and hopefully at the very least make the top sides on the continent respect us more after 90 minutes of furious competition. That's what it's all about, after all. And all that was thrown away because we voluntarily played a second-string eleven that put up a fight and still ended up getting slaughtered.

We lost the chance for a great European night tonight. Poch deserves a hearty, bellowed 'f*ck you!' for that, and he got it. If people take exception to that because it did not involve a constant, pointless restatement of one's priors and a cringing, bowing admission of the omniscience of Poch elsewhere, so f*cking be it.

We would have still been in it, and set for a fantastic game at WHL. what should have been a great game at WHL is now turned into just an inconvenience. Such a shame.

I don't know how you can say with any certainty that we would have still been in it. That was the best I have seen a team play against us in a while.

I know I'm probably being ridiculous (and some might say behaving embarrassingly for a fan), but is there any chance in hell we could get a refund given that the team isn't really trying to win the game?

Was impossible not to admire the brilliance of Dortmund, hopefully that's where we're headed.
Respect for what? There's nothing to be respected about what we did today. Pure and simple.

I'm not entirely sure why posting on forums carries with it a constant need to restate your priors, but I've mentioned countless times before that finishing in the top four alone would be a massive overachievement this season, and that I'm quite happy with how the team has played as a whole in the league this year. Indeed, I'm probably one of the posters most against believing in the title hype, because that would diminish the sense of achievement that will come from finishing in the top four alone.

But this constant need to venerate Poch and preface a discussion of his undoubted failings and missteps with 'oh, but I'm happy with what he's done elsewhere' is just strange to me. Especially coming from insightful posters like @thfcsteff. What chance is there of criticising Poch in a truthful manner if the most one can ever say (lest they offend the more zealous among us) is....'Poch maybe, possibly f*cked up, but it's entirely okay because he's a great bloke who done good in the league and is working on a small budget and changing the club for the better and all that, and I'm terribly sorry for even suggesting that he might have f*cked up'?

Today, there was absolutely nothing, nothing that he did that deserved respect in my eyes. Contrary to certain posters' views, there are people in the fanbase who relish nights like these, a chance to test our mettle against the best and hopefully at the very least make the top sides on the continent respect us more after 90 minutes of furious competition. That's what it's all about, after all. And all that was thrown away because we voluntarily played a second-string eleven that put up a fight and still ended up getting slaughtered.

We lost the chance for a great European night tonight. Poch deserves a hearty, bellowed 'f*ck you!' for that, and he got it. If people take exception to that because it did not involve a constant, pointless restatement of one's priors and a cringing, bowing admission of the omniscience of Poch elsewhere, so f*cking be it.
Suit yourself.

See hear is the problem -it was never going to a great game playing Dortmund - they are on a different level.

One of the best European 'elite' clubs. It's were we want to get to. Still a long way to go.

See hear is the problem -it was never going to a great game playing Dortmund - they are on a different level.

One of the best European 'elite' clubs. It's were we want to get to. Still a long way to go.
If we want to be among the best, we have to play the best! And not with the fudging reserves!

I only saw the first 30mins of that match and from a quick look at the match thread I'm guessing the other 60mins followed in the same vein. I don't think I'll bother watching the rest as obviously with that line-up we saw this as nothing more than a distraction from the league.

I can understand this view point but I don't agree with it. Going toe to toe with a European heavyweight should be seen as something good, an end in itself, and a measure of where we are compared to the best. It's a chance at something glorious not to mention a chance at winning a competition.

I don't buy the argument that it is the PL or the EL. The team we face at the weekend have already surrendered their PL membership. We should turn them over easily even resting some of those players with the most miles on the clock. We could have gone stronger tonight but chose not to. I hope it is the right choice because it doesn't seem like it to me tonight.

COYS.

How much importance do you place on our league challenge?

Everything !!! It's 100% the most important think but why not prioritise the FA cup over Europa then as it is arguably easier to win - and you only play half a season

Those of us who are being "negative" are tinkled off due to fact we played better Spurs sides against weaker sides to get to this stage in the comp...

I would 100% agree, regardless of the result, if we were going toe to toe with them with our best XI!

But hard to feel anything but 100% apathy when we're not even giving it close to our best shot - especially when I've got to catch a 7:30 train to Hull the next fudgeing morning...
Touche elltrev....i get your point...but I still think this shows up where we need to improve to push on more than one front.....which is not easy as we are finding out...unless we want to throw bucket loads of cash at it...which i have serious doubts about...I still think a gentle and upward curve is the way forward, only time will tell...COYS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back