• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v AFC Wimbledon ***

Don't get people ..

Job done result, 3 goals, Harry continues form, Jan gets a goal, clean sheet, onwards

Maybe a few folks should look at the Scum result for context.

Yeah. I was a bit skeptical of the line-up, wanted us to play more kids to give them a chance and to avoid injuries. But we won comfortably in the end, Jan got a goal, and another week until our next match, no injuries, so no reason to complain in hindsight. :) It would've been nice if we could bring one some youngsters when we went 2-0 up though. Pleased that KWP got a match. Hopefully we'll see more of him before the end of the season.

THFC: Vorm, Trippier, Foyth, Vertonghen, Walker-Peters, Wanyama, Dembele, Sissoko, Lamela, Kane (C), Llorente.

Subs: Lloris, Davies, Dier, Eriksen, Dele, N'Koudou, Son
Are we the only team that has two players whose name starts with a double L?

Yeah. I was a bit skeptical of the line-up, wanted us to play more kids to give them a chance and to avoid injuries. But we won comfortably in the end, Jan got a goal, and another week until our next match, no injuries, so no reason to complain in hindsight. :) It would've been nice if we could bring one some youngsters when we went 2-0 up though. Pleased that KWP got a match. Hopefully we'll see more of him before the end of the season.

Of course, Arsenal took it to the extreme with kids in the line-up and paid the price against a highly motivated opponent.
Considering KWP and Foyth played, I don't know who else we could have realistically thrown in? Winks, Tashan Oakley-Boothe and Edwards are, I believe, all injured. It really seemed too that Poch wanted to use this game as a chance to run out Kane & Llorente together.
Maybe Kazaiah Sterling or Luke Amos?

I went along to today's match, and here are some semi-random thoughts.

I should have worn my long johns.

First half was very sterile, and the fact that Wimbledon's fans cheered every mistake we made as if they had scored or Mafeking had just been relieved led to the inevitable build-up in frustration.

Fair play to their fans, though, as they made some noise and did their bit in trying to influence the outcome of the match.

Wimbledon actually looked a more composed side than WHU, and but for what looked like a good save from Vorm (have not seen it on replay) they might have taken a shock lead.

Walker-Peters and Foyth both looked sound and confident in defence. There was one time where W-P got muscled off the ball and then chased the guy halfway across the pitch to win it back, which was either admirable determination or a worrying lack of discipline.

Super Jan had a good game and threatened more than once; at one point on a breakaway I think he found himself furthest up the field but he ran out of ideas or puff.

Trippier was a bit unadventurous and maybe could have got a few more early crosses in during the first half to give Llorente something to feed on.

It was not Llorente's best outing. He seemed to get shoved off the ball a lot and his flicks and lay-offs mostly failed, though I think he was the one who did a fantastic "chest-off" to Lamela that resulted in a sharp volley that was saved well by their keeper.

The other player who disappointed me a little was Dembele. There were a few loose passes and, as ever, he seemed to run out of ideas when he got to the opposition's penalty box. I used to think he was one of our key players but I no longer think he is guaranteed starter, even when fit.

Big Vic was back to his beastly best, while his defensive midfield partner Sissoko had a couple of trademark powerful runs, one of which led to the breakthrough goal. I can see why he divides opinions; as most people have observed, with open field in front of him and the chance to build up a head of steam, he can be a one-man stampede, but otherwise he can be cumbersome.

Kane scored a couple and missed a relatively easy chance in the first half that I was confident he was going to convert. The Wimbledon fans treated his every miss and stumble as if someone had just found a cure for cancer.

Son made a difference when he came on, giving Lamela a few more quick interchange options, while Dele got the chance to be a pantomime villain (because of his MK Dons association), coming on when the game was pretty much won. He was terrific and I suspect Wimbledon's lusty booing of him only spurred him on. He had another decent shout for a penalty but is probably starting to realise he has cooked his goose in regards of 50/50 decisions.

Once we were 2-0 up, I was calling for GnK to be given a run out and he did get the last 15 minutes or so, though he did not do much except once, when he broke through the Wimbledon back four into the box and was then sent sprawling by a push in the back. The ref probably thought he went down too easily.

So, in summary: a frustrating first half, followed by a second half that led to a win that was less comfortable than the scoreline suggested. The best bit of the day was definitely making it to the pub just at the point when Forest had been awarded their first penalty. I have to say the crowd in the pub was a good deal more animated and lively than the crowd in Wembley, although as I barely cheered all match, I am in no position to complain.

@Roland Beurre good post. With Dembele I think we need to give him a run of games to find his swagger again. He's not played much, but I'm sure its still there. At his best, he makes space for the likes of Eriksen, sucking in midfielders twisting them, leaving them in a heap, and releasing the ball for others to do damage. He's never looked convincing himself in the final third, but can be a key in midfield opening up space for others.

It sounded to me as if she was commentating on the highlights knowing what was going to happen - i.e. not live.

That wasn't Jacqui Oatley on that clip. My point was just that BBC Football have had a (decent) female commentator on their roster for a long time. They also have someone called Sara Orchard who does rugby. And Lee McKenzie would be a hell of a lot better doing F1 than that himbo Steve Jones.

Just back from the match.

Finally, after 10 long years. Our own personal Wembley hoodoo is broken. We were there for a Spurs win at Wembley. But jeepers it was hard work in that 1st half.

No surprise we clicked once we made changes and actually squared it into the box once it went wide. Football isn't always rocket science. When you do pass it out, then cross it into the box and hey, you might score.

We had 2 young korean girls sat behind us that were obviously smitten with Son, really wanted him to score just for them, he got so close too.

All in all, not a bad day...eventually

Last edited:
A bit of a frustrating first half as Wimbledon defended in numbers and we spent a lot of time trying to walk the ball into the box but we did create a chances. Unlike Thursday night it always felt like we would score.
Second half was much better. Llorente seemed to fade as the first half had worn on (having earlier set up Kane on a couple of occasions) and we started to look more effective once he went off, combined with Wimbledon starting to attack us a bit more.
Lamela had a good game, Son and Dele both played well when they came on (loud boos for Dele everytime he got anywheree near the ball). We saw both Sissokos today but the better one won out. Give him the ball and space to run and you remember what he is good at.
MOTM for me was Verts.
Foyth looked a bit nervous and made a couple of sideways passes that could have caused us trouble but otherwise did OK.
KWP looked decent enough.
Dembele and Wanyama both lasted the full 90 (as did Lamela). I thought Dembele looked a lot better. Carried the ball forwards more than we have seen for a while.

Funny atmosphere at Wembley today. I thought with everyone in the lower tiers there would be more of a buzz but it was quite flat.

But regardless; it was a good day. Kane gets off the mark for 2018, we’re in the draw for round 4 and there’s now a full week for everyone to recuperate ahead of Everton. Job done.

I went along to today's match, and here are some semi-random thoughts.

I should have worn my long johns.

If they sold long johns in the club shop near to my seat I might’ve purchased a pair yesterday, as the lower half of my legs still feel somewhat numb from that bone-chilling wind!

I ended up purchasing some gloves (as forgot mine in other coat) and guess I wasn’t the only one, as the shop had no Tottenham ones left. So I had to settle for the Wembley branded version but at least they were only a fiver.

Was an unusual atmosphere at the game, even for this season. I barely recognised anyone in my block (aside from the mate that I travelled up with) which was instead populated with day trippers and families; sounded like it was the first time most of them had ever seen Tottenham win at Wembley, so hopefully some will return to help fill up the top tier in the less glamorous league fixtures.

If they sold long johns in the club shop near to my seat I might’ve purchased a pair yesterday, as the lower half of my legs still feel somewhat numb from that bone-chilling wind!

I ended up purchasing some gloves (as forgot mine in other coat) and guess I wasn’t the only one, as the shop had no Tottenham ones left. So I had to settle for the Wembley branded version but at least they were only a fiver.

Was an unusual atmosphere at the game, even for this season. I barely recognised anyone in my block (aside from the mate that I travelled up with) which was instead populated with day trippers and families; sounded like it was the first time most of them had ever seen Tottenham win at Wembley, so hopefully some will return to help fill up the top tier in the less glamorous league fixtures.

Were you in Block 138 ;)

@Roland Beurre good post. With Dembele I think we need to give him a run of games to find his swagger again. He's not played much, but I'm sure its still there. At his best, he makes space for the likes of Eriksen, sucking in midfielders twisting them, leaving them in a heap, and releasing the ball for others to do damage. He's never looked convincing himself in the final third, but can be a key in midfield opening up space for others.

I think he is still essential against the top clubs, where we need to keep the ball away from the opposition, but against opponents where we have 70% or more possession, he is of less use unless he can overcome his seemingly psychological fear of shooting.

I think he is still essential against the top clubs, where we need to keep the ball away from the opposition, but against opponents where we have 70% or more possession, he is of less use unless he can overcome his seemingly psychological fear of shooting.

Ironically, he got off a pretty good effort yesterday hitting the post and almost rebounded in off the keeper. But yes I agree :)

Back