• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT***Tottenham Hotspur FC v Woolwich Wanckers

We are lucky to have him.

In the first half his movement was good (contrary to what some on here say). The Arsenal cb's kept losing him....and if it wasn't for Mason's poor cross he surely would have scored. I will say his passing was sloppy but movement wise he was good. Second half he did nothing but that was due to the way we played (he was starved off opportunities).

Considering what happened last time Ade was on the end of a decent cross, I think it's pushing it to suggest he'd surely have scored.

The reason their centre backs kept "losing" him is because he was ambling around either offside or in the centre circle. They knew where he was, he just wasn't a threat.

And I don't mind forwards running the channels as long as the result isn't to hold the ball until everyone's marked then pass back down the line and hang around offside near the corner flag.

I can't imagine why you'd think that possible regarding one of the players he's just signed. Any one of the players he inherited - maybe. But one he just signed?

Partially due to Poch's significant rotation of players so far this season. I don't think he knows his best eleven, and thus is trying out all the players available to him: in that regard, it's somewhat ominous that Stambouli hasn't featured much despite the berths being given to players of similar or lesser ability within the squad. Beyond that, it's natural that a second-choice player isn't as appealing to the manager as his first choice would have been. And thirdly, Dembele's good performances when twinned with Capoue will also have featured in Poch's estimation of the chances of giving Stambouli a game: if both of those players are fit and in form, it makes sense to mainly leave Stambouli out given that he isn't really an on-field lieutenant or tactical link between the manager and the team in the same way that Schneiderlin would have been.

I thought that was a good team performance; we went there to contain, counter attack and get a point and we did just that. If Lamela had headed that ball, we'd have probably won 0-1.

Glad to see Poch using Chadli as more of a centre-forward in this game, I think the role suits him. I've suggested it in the past, it's nice that he reads Glory Glory :eek:

How we got that goal is how I want us to play in all games -- press the opposition at opportune times, win the ball, incisive passes, good chance created. I don't care about having 70% of the ball, I want us to be solid when we don't have it and ruthless when we do. All I asked for today was for us to go there with a decent game plan and not roll over, and we managed it. So well done lads.

You can't have it both ways guys. Of course we are a team that likes to play, but this is the first time in a long time I've seen us with a game plan. Let them have the ball, hit the counter and when they did get in the final third there was a hell of a lot of communication between our players. If Jose sets his team out against other top clubs in the same fashion to get some sort of result, he is lauded for it. We didn't play like a 'small team', we played like a TEAM with a plan.

It's unfortunate we either don't have the quality or haven't gelled up front to take our chances, if that was City/Cheatski they would have gone 2-0 up with the chances we had. But it was a solid performance rand after all the lambastings we've given the squad it's made me feel positive. We have to set up like this away from home against teams that can really hurt us. It may not be the 'Tottenham way', but we don't have the quality of Modders/Bale/VDV in recent years to hurt quality opposition away from home.

Hopefully this has given some confidence back to the team that we can mix it as long as we're smart. We just need to work out how not to lose to teams at home like WBA now ;)

COYS

Agree with all of that. Thanks for saving me the time typing it :)

Second best team out there but expected that. What I hadn't expected was the excellent performance by each man. They has a job, they did it. After the first half it felt like the clock had gone back three years when we really were on an equal footing.

I'll take a point. And I'll also take Chadlis yellow card. Good to see those mugs shut up and Chadli spelt it out to them.

I think we saw today that Poch has more stings to his bow. Pressing works well against teams who are not good at passing or are lacking confidence - like us at the moment! Our lack of possession was due to scum pressing us. But it doesn't always work. Like us normally, the scum didn't do much with the possession and we were just as effective, if not more, hitting them on the break.

We need to be able to do both things. Its a potent attacking weapon to sit back soak it up and punch back and score on the break.
Agree, but does Poch want us to play on the break?
If he did then I would expect to see Lloris get the ball and deliver it as quickly as possible to Lennon, Lamela, Townsend etc, as Schmeichel did to Kanchelskis and Giggs, instead he does a belly-flop, or passes to CBs, FBs and kicks toward touch line, usually resulting in loss of possession in our own half.

Agree, but does Poch want us to play on the break?
If he did then I would expect to see Lloris get the ball and deliver it as quickly as possible to Lennon, Lamela, Townsend etc, as Schmeichel did to Kanchelskis and Giggs, instead he does a belly-flop, or passes to CBs, FBs and kicks toward touch line, usually resulting in loss of possession in our own half.

I think when the ball went all the way to our defence or keeper, we were happy to slow the game down and try and stop any Arsenal momentum/give ourselves a breather.

BUT, when we won the ball in the middle of the pitch, we looked to be very direct and break with runners going forward. We did this a few times, and if we were a bit better at it, we could have punished Arsenal.

That could work but at home our crowd would not allow the players to sit deep and just clear the ball.
Moreover, there was no evidence of a persistent 'pressing' game, although one could argue that Eriksen's press created the space for Lamela and the goal. Personally, I don't think Eriksen, Chadli and Ade can maintain a high-tempo pressing momentum for extended periods. Especially, if they are holding their positions. They probably need to be more flexible and interchange.
I liked the idea of leaving Chadli up, with Ade but we could have done by getting the ball to them quicker, I think with a few more games Mason, Capoue and Eriksen will start to do this, but they will need to be given the licence to do this.

If Poch really wants to play with high intensity all the time, then he will have to go with Lennon, on the right, Lamela in the middle and Townsend on the left. They have the necessary energy levels. With Lennon good at helping the RB, and Townsend or Lamela helping the left back.

Yes. Like you say, some players are not physically suited to pressing all game. Eriksen and Ade's attacking spirit may suffer a little, but then as you say Eriksen won the ball for our goal. I think the mixture of pressing when required with the ability to drop, defend well and break will come through. Against pool, and if we'd played it today, good teams can pass around you. We need to be flexible and adapt to the situation. So pleased to see Poch do that today.

I think when the ball went all the way to our defence or keeper, we were happy to slow the game down and try and stop any Arsenal momentum/give ourselves a breather.

BUT, when we won the ball in the middle of the pitch, we looked to be very direct and break with runners going forward. We did this a few times, and if we were a bit better at it, we could have punished Arsenal.
I don't call that playing on the break.
We didn't win the ball much in midfield either, to be fair!

I don't call that playing on the break.
We didn't win the ball much in midfield either, to be fair!

We did several times in the first half and got into good attacking situations as a result. It might not be breaking all the way from our 6 yard box, but they were quick breaks nonetheless.

Anyone notice how Ade WALKED back to get onside (he wasnt onside even when the ball was crossed I think)... Id play Kane/Soldado next game... give Ade early leave then drive him to an airport.

See Chadli's post match quotes - it was clearly a plan to hit them with pace on the counter.

Really, pace on the counter, from who? Until, Lennon came on we had no one with pace and even Lennon seems to have been instructed to look after Rose.

I think that might be a post-hoc rationalisation by Chadli.

You can't have it both ways guys. Of course we are a team that likes to play, but this is the first time in a long time I've seen us with a game plan. Let them have the ball, hit the counter and when they did get in the final third there was a hell of a lot of communication between our players. If Jose sets his team out against other top clubs in the same fashion to get some sort of result, he is lauded for it. We didn't play like a 'small team', we played like a TEAM with a plan.

It's unfortunate we either don't have the quality or haven't gelled up front to take our chances, if that was City/Cheatski they would have gone 2-0 up with the chances we had. But it was a solid performance rand after all the lambastings we've given the squad it's made me feel positive. We have to set up like this away from home against teams that can really hurt us. It may not be the 'Tottenham way', but we don't have the quality of Modders/Bale/VDV in recent years to hurt quality opposition away from home.

Hopefully this has given some confidence back to the team that we can mix it as long as we're smart. We just need to work out how not to lose to teams at home like WBA now ;)

COYS

Well said AuroRaman .

I think Poch today showed a good game plan . This Goon team has shown to be vulnerable to the counter attack and picks up most of it's bookings bringing down opponents when getting caught out on the back foot . A shame our counter attacks lacked cohesion and as you say, a team with better quality in counter attacking. would've netted a couple today.

Well done to all our players for that fighting performance , We snarled and we even had a bite too, but we were never worthy of all them bookings by Oliver . Chadli's booking was laughable , that kind of celebration has been going on for the past 20 years and we've never seen a booking for it. Strange performance by the ref .

Chadli showed decent pace today I thought. He's not that quick off the mark, but he's pretty fast when he gets going, which surprised me, as I don't remember him being that quick.

And presumably one of those is Poch...who 'incredibly' both started him and didn't sub him out at all.

Ade will be a disruptive influence if he's not first choice , we all know this . I think Poch knows he has to be careful and pick his moment .

Back